Questions about interval training

Options
This might be a dumb question, but I do sprint intervals 3X a week. Should I log only the time I am running or should I log the whole session?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    The whole session or not, just keep it consistent. I'd log the whole session since hit is a high intensity where you're in a increase metabolic state/ calorie burning state the whole time
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Log the entire session. Are you basing it on HR "Zones"? Obviously, calorie burn is less in the lower intensities, but in terms of the session - that is part of the workout as well.

• LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I would recommend a Fitbit HR or similar. Not only will it help with the accuracy of your calorie burn measurements, but you can use it to make sure you're hitting the right zones during training. Sprinting into the peak zone is pretty critical if you're trying to achieve good "afterburn"
  • Carlsbad20
    Carlsbad20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Along these same lines, I am having a hard time finding how many calories I, a 215 lb, 33-year old man, burn while doing the following with a 4kg medicine ball: I squat hop three times then propelled a 4kg ball, then sprinted 15 yards....all of that 8 times with about a 10-second rest between each rep.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    If you can afford it, I would recommend a Fitbit HR or similar

Ignore any suggestion of an HRM giving you a useful figure, they're not designed for that

Just log the whole thing, the key issue with running is distance and your weight, pace isn't a big issue. Also "afterburn" is meaningless