TMI...but can excessive soy intake cause gastro upset??

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
my soy intake has increased lately from both non processed and processed forms of soy. I have also experienced some gastro intestinal upset since the increase. Is this common? Will it decrease as my body gets used to the intake of soy? Just curious on everyone's thoughts/ reaction to increased soy consumption and some "tummy" issues...lol

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    YES! For sure. If I have too much soy things get super bad. Like my intestines are cussing me out. I've never grown accustomed to high levels of soy. I also have issues if I combine any amount of soy with fake sugar, citrus, or nuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    *Soy* doesn't cause issues for me, but a specific soy product can give me an upset stomach if I eat a lot of it (it's TVP -- texturized vegetable protein). I don't know what it is about it, but it's been pretty consistent over the years with me. If you are eating a variety of processed soy products, it may be worth taking a break from certain ones, one at a time, to see if that is the cause of the stomach upset.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I believe it. Are you eating it with other macros, fruits and veggies, or all by itself?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I believe it. Are you eating it with other macros, fruits and veggies, or all by itself?

Yes other macros and micros are included. My diet is very balanced aside from the fact I've been eating more pescatarian and plant based lately in terms of protein intake, my diet has always been pretty routine with veggies and proper nutrients. I've just had an increase in soy lately
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had some edamame mixed in with some things I was eating for a week and my stomach was in knots. The ONLY change in my diet was the soy, so I just avoid it altogether now. Maybe dial it back if you've been eating a lot of it, and see how you feel then.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I make a big change to my diet, no matter what it is (increased fiber, more beans, higher protein), I'll get interesting gastro symptoms for a few weeks until it adjusts. I think I have a fairly robust gastro-intestinal system however, based on some of the stories I hear.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Non organic soy tears my stomach up, I stay away
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yes, soy can cause digestive upset in some people (that statement is true about pretty much anything, really). It also depends on the form. For example, I have to follow a low FODMAP diet right now, which is about limiting certain carbohydrates that disagree with many people who have IBS - some of these carbs are prone to fermentation in the gut causing excess gas, while others draw more water into the large intestine causing diarrhea, etc. Things made from soybeans tend to be high FODMAP and cause more distress, but some soy products such as soy sauce or firm tofu are actually low FODMAP because of the way they are produced.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes. Soy does this to me, as does almond milk and coconut milk now. They're all off my menu, but oddly, I can eat almonds.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yep :( I don't eat much soy but I got some plain roasted soybeans for a snack cause they are similar to nuts for snacking but are much better macro and calorie wise. I was so shocked (since they aren't highly processed like TVP, etc) that they STILL caused gas issues :( not painful but definitely had an effect. Now I have a bunch of these I'm going to have to eat like 5 grams at a time til theyre gone :/ haha
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yes. Soy does this to me, as does almond milk and coconut milk now. They're all off my menu, but oddly, I can eat almonds.

I wonder if you are sensitive to the gums that are often added to these milks, e.g. xanthan, guar, or carrageenan?
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It is also possible to be allergic to soy. I am, I get nausea, dizziness, headaches and sore throats. Some soy products seem to be a lot worse than others. For me cafe-style soy milk is the literal worst.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I wonder if you are sensitive to the gums that are often added to these milks, e.g. xanthan, guar, or carrageenan?

Carrageenan is a killer for me! It sucks that they are now adding it to turkey/chicken sandwich meats!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's like eating beans. My tummy is sensitive to beans (pain, bloating,gas) and feels similar when eating edamame or soybutter, but not with soymilk. I've had soy protein powder and burgers with no problems.