Lunch at a desk job...

Options
kettlenic
kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
Hey chaps

I need some fresh new ideas for packed lunches at work, I have access to a microwave and a fridge.

I alternate btw salads, with egg/tuna or rice/pasta salad and in winter soup but YAWN so boring.........

what have you got today? please inspire me...

ps - I make my lunch at home not a fan of buying lunch :)

Replies

• FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Same as i had yesterday, salad with boiled egg and new potato with some chicken breast.

I wish our microwave at work was working :( I want soup!!!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Like mushrooms? I have a 220g can of mushrooms in a butter sauce (it's actually got fek all butter) on a wholemeal pita bread, or similar. It's hard when you get sick of salad!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a chicken salad - Seasoned chicken breast slices with a mix of salad leaves, carrot, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, slow roasted tomatoes and red onion in a mustard dressing - 220g / 175 cals - thank you The Co-Operative :smile:
  • h64em
    h64em Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat my lunch at my desk most days! Today I'm having Melba toast (6 pieces) a tub of extra light philly cheese and garlic stuffed olives. Some I put smoked salmon bits on the cheese instead of the olives. Also having some non fat greek yoghurt with fresh berries and a little bit of muesli, sweeten with agave. :)
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like to take seafood. I cook a couple days worth and package it so I just have to reheat it in the microwave at work. Yesterday I had garlic marinated shrimp, and some fruit with cranberry juice to drink.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a light tortilla wrap, peppery rocket salad leaves, whole grain mustard and sliced ham - nice tasty wrap then for a pudding I have a whole 225g tub of raspberries with a low fat yogurt - strawberry today :-) i think its scrummy hehehe
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have soup and crackers, plus a bit of fruit and a cereal bar for lunch most days...gets kinda boring too....
  • misstash123
    Options
    Hi,

I dont have many ideas really, I pretty much have what you mentioned and Im bored of it too so I hope someone comes along with some ideas! Ive got an egg and rocket salad today with a banana and some cherries. I find if I plan/make things the night before I am less likely to go for the "boring" options of pasta. Maybe making stuffed peppers with different fillings? I dont have the luxury of a microwave either! Maybe bringing a potato/sweet potato to cook in the microwave with cottage cheese?

Hope this helps,
    Natasha :smile:
  • kettlenic
    Options
    some good ideas I had forgotten - pita, wraps...melba toasts!

I love seafod and mushrroms will def add to the grocery list - thanks :)
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I ALWAYS make my lunch (hot and cold) and bring it to work.

TOday it is sausage casserole. I do spicy lentil stew, chilli con carne, chicken curry and turkey spgbol also. I will have moroccan style cous cous with fish also. Alot of the food I make is better reheated, I freeze huge portions of each so I can just grab them the night before and throw in the microwave.

I know I am biased but I'm pretty good and love my lunches.
  • mhairi_e_mckenzie
    Options
    Hi!

Today I have a toasted brown pitta cut in half and filled with chicken and sweetcorn mix with iceberg lettuce leaves... Finish off with a 100cal soya vanilla desert :)

I am addicted to Scottish Oatcakes with goats cheese and ham too, but trying to change things up this week...

Mhairi
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    today i have left overs...boiled chicken and sweet potato with peas and onions :o) mmmm mmmmmmm

oh and carrot sticks and hummas as a snack
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    I have chilli with rice and a few tortilla chips - hubby is away at the moment so I'm trying to eat my main meal at lunch time and just have something light in the evening (didn't work yesterday - but I'm working on it!).

If you have access to a microwave I'd suggest last night's leftovers....just smaller portions. As wedjul05 said - chilli and curry etc. is better re-heated anyway :smile:
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    hmm i tend to have a piece of fruit at 11am, a piece at 1pm, and lunch at 3pm, i have a canteen in my work and the ladies always cook great meals; lasagne, chicken carbonara, cottage pie etc (these meals are free by the way, wooo!), I just ask for a really small portion and fill the plate with salad! then im all fuelled up for the gym after work!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I have chilli with rice and a few tortilla chips - hubby is away at the moment so I'm trying to eat my main meal at lunch time and just have something light in the evening (didn't work yesterday - but I'm working on it!).

This is what I do as I exercise after the kids go to bed at say 8pm. I have my 'dinner' at lunch time in work. I find this better too as I would generally tend to have carbs with my dinner so eating it earlier in the day is better I feel anyway. I have a biggish snack at say 3pm like fruit salad with greek yoghurt, rice cakes/peanut butter etc. I would only have something small in the evening like an omelette or protein shake or chicken with steamed veg. Works for me.
  • kettlenic
    Options
    Thanks ladies some fabulous ideas may have too batch cook this weekend for some lunches - you have been a big help - thanks :)
  • jesscsock
    jesscsock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I've got some Thai chicken and pineapple stir-fry (recipe from skinnytaste.com) which I re-heated. I tend to make a big salad or this type of meal on a Sunday and make up four boxes ready for the week.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    spinach and tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread, a banana, a cup of grapes...and today i have some homemade macaroni salad (just elbow noodles and catalina dressing with chopped up bell peppers) and a nutrigrain bar. lunch is always my biggest meal of the day!
  • kettlenic
    Options
    off to check out that website - sounds delish!!!!!
  • LM_710
    LM_710 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've started alternating between salads and lean cuisines. Sometimes I'll just grab a slim fast bar if I have to work through lunch. And our office has fresh apples, bananas and oranges so sometimes (not as often as I should) I'll grab one as a snack.