I've lost 6 stone but now want to take it to the next level...

Options
Hi all, so all my adult life I was overweight I comfort ate and cleared my plate. I've come so far losing over 6 stone - had some counselling along the way and in such a healthier and happier place now. I'm a healthy weight for my height 145lb and 5ft 6 but want to tone up. I'm not a member of a gym but workout with Jillian Michaels (currently on Body Revolution) and I run (I really enjoy it and it's something that helps me mentally as well as physically so I don't want to give it up and I'm about to run my 10th half marathon!)

What I want is positive criticism and suggestions to tweak what i'm doing so I'm making progress. I'm trying to follow macros of 40/30/30 and weekdays I do well but can go off track at the weekend! After my birthday next week and my trip away I shall be back on track :)

I've heard about body recomp but I don't know if a) I lift heavy enough with Jillian for this to be feasible? b) Should my focus to be to lose more body fat first (I've a still a way to go!)

I feel at the point I've learnt so much from where I was but unsure of what path I need to take moving forward... advice and support please :)

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're doing body weight exercises you probably aren't going to be getting the results you want in the end. You have to keep progressing to heavier weights for that so once bodyweight becomes easy you'll want to move on to heavier weights. That will involve you owning free weights or belonging to a gym, most likely.

When I first started lifting I just ate at around maintenance and lifted 2-3 days per week in the gym at work. I ran (and still run) on the days between lifting. I also run half marathons :smile: I've been happy with the results so far.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to start lifting something a bit heavier. Personally I use Fitness Blender (free or cheap schedules) and adjustable dumbbells. Adding weight will expedite results, though they will likely still be slow, curse of being female.

Amazing job so far though!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far that is a big accomplishment!

Honestly Jillian Michaels workouts are not enough resistance training to use for adding muscle/recomp. I haven't used that particular program but I have enough of her DVDs to get the jist. You need to lift heavier weights. Joining a gym would be ideal, but you could also buy adjustable Dumbbells and preferably a squat rack, barbell, bench and plates. You can find these things second hand online many times.

A simple beginners program like stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of weight lifting for women is a good place to start. There are a few dumbbell only programs too.

As for whether you should keep losing, at your stats you could really do either. If it were me, I would cut 10 more lbs or so and then start a recomp. Losing fat is slow on a recomp and it is good to start one when you are at your goal weight and just have a little toning up to do. 10 lbs of fat would take 3-4 months to lose on a cut (it gets harder when you are close to your goal) but may take a year or more on a recomp. Those or just guesstimates, but just to give you an idea.

I cut until I got to my goal weight, then did a recomp to lean and tone up a bit.

ETA: I try to eat 40/30/30 as well because that is what makes me feel good, but as long as you are getting enough protein you can move the carbs/fat around a bit depending on what you like. If weekends aren't perfect ratios that is not a huge deal as long as you are 1) not going way over your calories and 2) you are still getting a minimum amount of protein. If you generally eat more on the weekends with dinners out or parties, you should bank a few hundred calories during the week to offset. But don't cut too drastically during the week because that will affect your lifting.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Omg I think we are twins. I'm 5'6" and 140 pounds. I run half marathons and I'm looking to do the same thing as you, but I'm not sure where to start!! I'm going to steal all the advice off this thread. Thanks!! :smile: