Importance of stretching?

Hi there, I have been thinkingof implanting stretching in my routine. I don't think I do enough. I was wondering if you guys could post some useful stretching information. I want something which is easy to understand and does not take forever and preferably full body stretching.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Stretching for what purpose? Before an activity? After an activity? For generally being more limber?

There's been a lot of research around this and dynamic stretches are usually best for general purpose or before an activity. Static stretches are good once you're warmed up or as part of a cool down. For example, I do a few dynamic stretches before a run and then some static ones once I'm finished and cooling down to keep me limber. The dynamic ones involve simply walking and a few moves like pulling one knee up to my chest while going to my toes on the opposite leg and then switching.

If you do a Youtube search I'll bet you can find a lot of stretching videos that should help as long as you follow the above guidelines.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What is your routine?
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Studies have found that static stretching before an activity like running, inhibits performance. My sport med doctor, who is also a triathlete and ultra runner instructed me to perform dynamic stretches before running and cycling. He recommended performing a separate routine combining static stretching and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching (PNF stretching) on days that I do not run or cycle.

PNF stretching is similar to isometric stretching in that you stretch against resistance, but you do a series of hold, relax, contract. This type of stretching give maximum static flexibility, so it's used both by athletes looking to increase flexibility, and by rehab clinics to aid range of motion in patients.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    When it comes to weight training. I like to do a warp up set. So for chest, I'll just bench the bar for 10-15 reps. Doing slow controlled reps. Shoulders would be military press, etc.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Stretching after workouts. I was thinking of stretching when I'm sitting at home, I want to increase flexibility.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    That's a great idea as most people don't get enough flexibility training in their schedules. You start to lose flexibility starting at about age 12 so it's a good idea to keep optimal range of motion as early as you can.

If you really want to go world class with your stretching program you will get a foam roller. Using a foam roller before stretching will help to increase your range of motion. After foam rolling, there are a few different kinds of stretching you can do depending on your needs. There;s static stretching (holding a stretch for 30 seconds or more), active stretching (holding the stretch for 5-10 seconds), dynamic stretching (doing movements that take your body through it's full range of motion---such as doing walking lunges etc.) and PNF stretching as mentioned above.

So you don't have to stretch everything...in fact you should only stretch the muscles that are shortened. Calves, lats hip flexors and hamstrings are typically shortened in the average person and need to be stretched. While everyone's fitness program should be individualized, so too should their flexibility program. Here's an example of a really good set:

*Foam roll your calves, lats and hamstrings. If you've never done it before...it's gonna hurt-I ain't gonna lie! but when you're done it's going to feel like an amazing musclegasm!
    *Foam rolling done, static stretch your calves, lats, hip flexors and hamstrings. These muscles are just an example. An assessment from a trainer would reveal what muscles YOU need to focus on.
    *Once that is done, do a few of your favourite dynamic movements (or movements that will mimic the activity you are about to perform) Examples are walking lunge with twist, lateral lunges, leg swings, ax & chops

If you add in some jump rope after all this then you have an awesome warm up that incorporates a professional flexibility program.

But what about the active and PNF stretching you ask...the body parts that aren't deemed to be shortend don't need a static stretch. For those muscles you can do active stetching. For example holding a quad stretch for 5 seconds---release---hold---release. For those areas where you NEED to increase your range of motion then there's PNF stretching. For example you want to increase your jump height for basketball but you have limited flexibility in your calf muscles. Take a towel and put it around your foot---now pull back on the towel thus stretching the calf muscle---hold for 10 seconds or so and now holding the towel tightly, plantarflex your foot (push against the towel as if pushing on you gas pedal in the car) Use about 25% of your force and push for 7-10 seconds. Now release and apply the stretch again but pulling back on the towel---repeat for a few sets of this.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Stretching after workouts. I was thinking of stretching when I'm sitting at home, I want to increase flexibility.

Focus on your problem areas. That's different for everyone. If i remember correctly, you're seeing a physical therapist for shoulder issues. Ask your PT to do a full-body assessment. Write down the names of your tight muscles, and look up the stretches on Youtube. Do them several times daily for best results. :+1:
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Focus on your problem areas. That's different for everyone. If i remember correctly, you're seeing a physical therapist for shoulder issues. Ask your PT to do a full-body assessment. Write down the names of your tight muscles, and look up the stretches on Youtube. Do them several times daily for best results. :+1:

I stretch my chest and anterior shoulders. It helps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i love stretching. i have a TRX in my living room that i use to get deep stretches, my whole body and back and chest and legs, everything.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Yoga is amazing for flexibility. It's perfect addition for lifting or sports. It takes work, but very rewarding in many aspects.