Maintaining in summer months....hardest time of the year?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Always easier for me. I walk more, I spend more time at the gym (because it gives me a break from my kids, mom of the year, I know), and I'm less hungry and chocolate is less appealing to me when it's hot.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Summer is easier for me too because I can get out and do so much more.

It's light longer and warm in the evenings and on weekends, so my husband and I go for longer bicycle rides and walks and hikes and things.

We're more inclined to do casual "triathlon-like" things on weekends in the summer where we cycle somewhere, then swim or canoe, and then do a hike ... or something like that. We do long, long bicycle rides ... and long, long hikes. We'll spend entire days out exercising just because we like being out exercising in the fresh air. :)

As for events ... there is Christmas right in the middle of summer, so there are one or two events, but those are easily compensated for by getting out and being active. And there's usually lots of fresh fruit (cherries and mangoes!) and veggies to choose from at those events. I tend to lean toward a vegetarian diet at that time of year ... but not entirely, because I do like a bit of turkey. :grin:

As for the heat ... I love it! The heat energises me and I love being out in the sun. I'm actually having trouble with the summers where I currently live because they are just not long and hot enough.

The cold just drains me and makes me tired ... and makes me want to put on fuzzy pjs and curl up on the sofa.

That's phenomenal that you and your husband do so many fitness activities together! It would be great if MINE was so inclined! He works a LOT and I tend to have to drag (sometimes unwilling lol) friends and family members for my excursions! You have certainly given me an idea with your "triathlon" type days...after my hikes and bike rides I normally still have energy to spare..mind you they are less than ten miles... I may begin hiking or biking to a destination and continuing a very Intense workout...:)
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Summer is harder for me because I am off from work therefore I am less active. I have been trying to maintain & am happy for any weight loss. I think that a "plateau" in weight loss is easier to handle knowing that I am at least not gaining & will be able to easily increase my activity as soon as work starts up again & I will be back to losing weight in the fall.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP I'm the same way summer is pretty brutal. It seems like there is a get together or event every day. I think I've lost two pounds in the past two months but better than gaining ten i suppose.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think the only time of the year I don't struggle is between New Years and like, May. I live in Minnesota so for much of those months it's too cold to go outside or do much of anything so I've got all the time in the world to work out. The rest of the year I'm just too darn social for my own good. Who wants to eat healthy and go to the gym in the summer when there are street fairs to attend, drinks to drink, patios to sit on, and bbqs to chow down at? Or in fall, where are Oktoberfests to go to, pumpkin spice lattes to sip, and football parties to eat at? The holidays with all the cookies, cheese plates, mashed potatoes, and festive cocktails?

Oh F, now I'm hungry.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started keeping track of how many special get-togethers I had involving food...pretty consistent all year, and I'm not overly social. Starting changing my mindset to "this is a special people occasion, not a special food occasion" to keep it in check. I have to ask myself: which foods at this event do I really love, and which do I eat cause they're there. Love me a grilled burger. Actually don't care much for the bun. So don't eat the bun. If there are foods where you eat it cause that's how it's served, know you can eat the fun stuff and leave the stuff you're only "meh" about. I find often there's volume in place of quality, so I think out...is this store bought potato salad really that tasty and fun to eat? Or am I eating it because it's part of the picnic atmosphere? On true vacations, I only indulge in things I can't get at home - fresh seaood, local cuisine, etc.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I sympathise so much with you guys who have to deal with snow in winter, i could not handle it! It's winter here and at the moment it's 7am and 8C (46F) outside and i'm freezing my butt off. Walking/running (my only exercise) in snow, no thank you :confounded:
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's the exact opposite for me. Summer is full of lighter foods and options (fruits, salads, grilled meats, vegetables) and the fall/winter is full of heavier, richer foods that go with all the feasting holidays (Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, Superbowl parties, etc).

I started my "diet" last year a week before Thanksgiving. Trust me, summer is much easier...

Time of year doesn't matter. There's always "something": a party, vacation, holiday, distraction, family issue, crisis, work issue... something. Just have a plan and stay the course. If you get off track, just log it and move on. It happens. Don't let the time of year be a crutch or an excuse. We all make choices. Make yours count! It's about moderation, not deprivation.

This is me for sure! In the Summer my appetite decreases because of the heat. I want lighter foods and more fluids. It is very easy for me to gain 10 pounds from Thanksgiving, Christmas, and 2 Birthdays in January. This weight gain will not happen this year.
  • zerocool44535
    zerocool44535 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Got to take it day by day no matter what season it's so freakin hard cause I love food so much day and night
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    Summer is always much harder for me even though I love to cycle. It is all the ice cream, parties, wineries, just as others have mentioned, BUT --- this year I am kicking butt. Down below my goal because of the Amazing Race Summer heat challenge. I love these MFP amazing race challenges, This is my third one. The team challenges keep me so focused on both my eating and exercise. There is a wait list if someone wants to try and get in on August. It is in the MFP challenges or message @hawkins410
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    This depends a lot on where you live! I'm in FL. My runs are shorter now and only going just before sunset. The kids are out of school, so on my days off I don't have my morning runs that I'm used to the rest of the year. The food thing doesn't bother me. I'm not a big fan of potato salad, hot dogs and hamburgers anyway and I don't drink beer.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I sympathise so much with you guys who have to deal with snow in winter, i could not handle it! It's winter here and at the moment it's 7am and 8C (46F) outside and i'm freezing my butt off. Walking/running (my only exercise) in snow, no thank you :confounded:

We deal with snow in summer, thank goodness. :smile:

27970668414_41404e552b_o_d.jpg
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yes, summer is so much harder for me. We have lots of parties at our house and all I want to do is lay around in the pool drinking margaritas. I am more way more active so that's the only thing that's saved me from gaining this summer - definitely no loss! Fall/winter is way easier as I don't do holidays and no pool parties.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Summer is easy...yeah, I definitely attend more BBQs, etc and I drink more cold beers...but I'm also way more active in summer than I am in the dead of winter...not just exercise active, but active in general...like you're likely to find me on a summer Sunday afternoon in the mountains hiking with my family or walking around the zoo or playing in the park, etc...whereas in winter you're likely to find me keeping warm in a movie theater or sitting on my couch watching football, etc.

I'd also say that while there are more BBQs, etc it's really not that big of a deal...a burger and some baked beans and corn on the cob isn't some kind of crazy calorie bomb...the stuff I tend to eat in winter is far more calorie dense "comfort" type of food and I move less. I usually put on 5-8 Lbs every winter which isn't really a big deal because it falls right off come Spring.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Summer is harder for me because that's when I travel. I went to Italy, Greece, and two beach trips. Between all that it was hard to keep up a regular workout routine and of course, when in Italy: GELATO EVERY DAY. Because, duh.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to focus in winter when there are fewer distractions of parties, boating, concerts, festivals, etc. But, it's super nice to have long daylight hours in Summer to get more walking/running in.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

We deal with snow in summer, thank goodness. :smile:

27970668414_41404e552b_o_d.jpg

Wow yes, that would be refreshing in summer :smiley:
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    kltodd927 wrote: »
    I have maintained a 50 pound weight loss for a year... I struggle some in the summer because I am a teacher and off work and out of my normal schedule. I think about food and what I'm going to eat a lot more because I'm not as busy. My workouts are great, though, because I do have more time. I am really active, but more free time for me means more time to worry and fret over what I will eat! Plus, we do attend more social events in the summer where I don't have control over the food being served.

Same!! Love more time to do workouts in summer, but also more food "around" and not as busy!
  • sunshira
    sunshira Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This summer has been harder for me. Last summer I was so close to my goal that I was really focused. This summer I am on maintenance and it seems easier to give into summer treats at family gatherings
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Summer is harder because my exercise is 80% running and living in FL with the searing heat and humidity has made my runs shorter. And the kids are out of school and keep me very busy.