Fibromyalgia Flare & illness

Options
I've been unable to eat properly since late Sunday evening. I have fibromyalgia and I'm currently experiencing a flare up which has attacked my digestive system. It's unpleasant and severely painful.
I didn't want to fail my logging in challenge but I also didn't want to lie in my diary. It states that because I haven't eaten (can't keep anything in my body at the mo!) it won't log that I've completed my diary.
I feel so low as it is, being in severe pain and stuck in bed. Is there anyone else who has a chronic illness that prevents them from being consistent?
I just want to cry right now as I feel I'm letting not only my family down but myself :'(

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your situation. You are not letting down yourself or your family. You are doing the best you can with a difficult situation. There is a fibro group here on MFP. It's not super-active but you still might find some support & help there.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have a autoimmune disease called sarcoidosis in my lungs. Add me if you want.
  • tinapowers2
    tinapowers2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyaliga. If you ever need to talk please feel free.
  • matthewmalicoat
    matthewmalicoat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I, myself have Fibromyalgia. And yes, I know it's considered a woman's disease, but more men have docs say, but don't report the effects and won't go to the doc. I've had it for over 3 years and have struggled big time because it can affect you everyday and so differently that you have no idea what your day will be like tomorrow. Especially impacting your digestive system. It can throw you off tremendously, if your treating other diseases. Si, I feel for you @catey935 . Add me as a friend if you wiuld like, or just send me a message if you need to talk.
  • catey935
    catey935 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you for your message, I don't think I've really come to terms with it. Prior to being diagnosed I had been an EMT for 11yrs. I have no judgement of others but I just can't get my head around the unpredictability of good and bad days. I also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and to be honest, I think I can cope and understand that far more than I can the fibromyalgia!!
    Thank you everyone for your support, I felt ashamed because I thought this app would be about fitness and I felt I had let myself and the "community" down by not being able to complete the challenge.
  • Piperx222
    Piperx222 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating, especially when you never know from one day to the next if its going to be a good day or bad one. Don't feel like you are letting anyone down though. I have Lupus and there are days that I can't eat enough to make the app happy lol. Take care of yourself and feel better! Add me or msg me if you need to talk or connect with a fellow autoimmuner
  • matthewmalicoat
    matthewmalicoat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's very uncanny. You have Fibromyalgia, as do I, you were an EMT for 11 years, I was a medic for 10 years, you have other incurable diseases, as do I. I've bern dealing with all this for 3 years and it's still hard to wrap my head around it. I have to find an excuse just to get out of the bed eveyday. Sometimes I feel like I'm living just to stay alive. All my diseases require a lot of time, effort and treatment. That's why it's hard for me to be as good as some of the others on here because dealing with T1 Diabetes can be overwhelming, especially if your using an insulin pump. I also have felt ashamed, guilty, lazy, and feel like I let MyFitnessPal friends down but they always have encouraging words. Nobody knows your conditions, symptoms, and your life more than you, so no one has a right to judge you, not even doctors, because only you have to deal with your situation. As time went by with me, I had good and bad days but the good days are rare at this time in my life. I happen to have some terminal illnesses. You may be different and stronger or whatever and get to a better condition. It's your health and no one has to cope with how you feel, so it doesn't matter if someone thinks negatively of you. I agree with every word that @Piperx222 wrote. Very good advice. I don't know if you believe in prayer, but we're stronger on our knees, rather than standing.
  • catey935
    Options
    Thank you to both of you for your inspirational words. The pain I had put down to a flare is now being investigated for gallstones! I and the doctor had to laugh as I just don't fit the standard disease criteria. I eat healthy, very rarely drink alcohol, am not obese (just heavier than my working days as I'm not as active due to subluxations and fatigue), no family history etc!

It's disheartening but reading your posts has given me heart and hope. So thank you and if I can ever return the support I will x
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    don't worry about mfp on those days. just do what you can to be healthy

i have an autoimmune called behcets with myalgia
  • kellyboyd1
    kellyboyd1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I deal with the same issue. There are many many days I can not reach my calorie goal because I'm just not hungry and feel nauseated. I hate that it won't let me log what I have eaten so I can have a little motivation. Add me as a friend and we can battle through this together.
    Kelly
  • jacqui14tl
    jacqui14tl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've also fought seasons of fibromyalgia and other health issues for decades now and understand how overwhelming it can be mentally and emotionally beyond the physical. I have learned that every person's journey with fibro is different, but it does seem that most people have increased flares as a result of something causing additional inflammation in their body and sometimes they learn their own individual "triggers" so to speak. Lack of sleep, finding out if you are sensitive to gluten, and/or lactose are often the "big three" and few doctors consider. When I was "accidentally" diagnosed with Celiac disease when routine bloodwork was done (I requested the test because my sister had just been diagnosed with Celiac, an auto-immune disease) my test came back ragingly positive. I eliminated gluten completely and experienced my first full fibro remission. When I would eat gluten, I was completely debilitated with excruciating body pain as if it had been turned on with a remote control. The gluten was creating the domino effect of the fibro flare. But this is just one example. Everyone has to learn their own triggers.

My personal triggers: chronic acute stress, lack of sleep, acute illnesses (flu, other conditions), hormone fluctuations, gluten, dairy, green peppers (watch out for nightshade veggies), beef, sugar.

After living with active fibro for a decade, I had actually been in remission for several years once I learned how to manage my diet, but life happens and a 1-2 year season of acute stress did me in and I developed T2 diabetes, arrhythmias, and have been in a horrible flare ever since (about two years now). I still watch my diet meticulously because it does give me an advantage over those "worse" days. I have really challenging days and my evenings are full of TENS units, medications, Toprinil lotion, and honestly, tears (and sometimes the mornings start that way too), but I get the victory during the day by learning my triggers and avoiding at all costs. (The life will of "I HAVE TO FUNCTION for my kids helps too I think - the adrenaline gives the extra boost maybe?)

Having a support system - people who will listen with compassion and help you avoid those triggers (like get your sleep or run an errand when you just can't... Or whatever you need), will help you manage your flares and find one day, you do feel better. ☺️

Please feel free to add me as a support if you'd like. Support is a good thing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yikes @catey935! Hopefully not EDS Type IV!
    Hi fellow FM'ers - I was dx'd 6 yrs ago. Here's another group that can help on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1937-fitness-with-fibromyalgia
    I'm a member there too and post articles from MedScape (the EMT's & Medics here will know what that is) on Fibromyalgia as newer studies are published.
    Make sure you get a full panel thyroid test done including antibodies as a 2014 study showed a very high correlation between Autoimmune Thyroid Disease and Fibromyalgia/other Chronic Widespread Pain Syndromes.
    Celiac Disease & NonCeliacGlutenSensitivity are also involved with FM. I only post legitimate published scientific studies from the journals as there is a bunch of 'quackery' out there that takes advantage of our hunt for relief, or at least answers.
    I happen to be lucky enough to have a great team helping me... my GP who is an MD with an interest in alternative therapies, a great chiropractor for the past 33 years who is also trained in massage and cold laser therapy, and an amazing Rheumatologist who I don't need to see very often even with the arthritis. And of course my family & a few good friends who understand. I have mine mostly in remission/under control although I cannot go back to my old jobs of physio rehab therapist and fitness trainer - that is still out of reach and I think I've pretty well come to terms with that. Friend if you wish - more info on my profile and my diary from the past (I've been in maintenance for a couple yrs.) as they are public.

Gentle hugs for all (((_)))
  • lexi3500
    lexi3500 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a cancer patient . But I'm doing ok. Trying to be strong
  • catey935
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your amazing words of support. Slowly but surely the aches and pains are disappearing (I have the urge to try and do everything I couldn't do now!) & I'm slowly starting to feel more positive.
    Sorry for the "down" post, I try to stay positive but it just felt like I'd been hit by a 10tonne truck twice over.
    I think the UK is behind when it comes to Fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses and they don't get the credit or support that is needed. My GP is great and I can only thank god for her!!

I will definitely take a look at some of the sites recommended as, like you say, there's a LOT of quackery out there!! It will be really lovely to stay in touch with you all xxx