Drinking water makes me physically ill

Options
2»

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Waaallll, I don't agree that it has to be a psychological issue. Also, I used to be like that. I ended up just pushing through it. For myself, I can drink water if it is cold, cold, cold. Ice in it. Full of ice.

Have you thought of getting a Soda Stream? https://www.sodastreamusa.com/ It may help.
  • TheFatLadyPortrait
    TheFatLadyPortrait Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had that problem as well. I suspect it was because I never really drank it. It would make me feel so sick to drink it. I have goteen over it some though. The 2 things I did were that I would make myself take a few drinks of my bottled water before I added my flavors, or if I had juice (or any non-carbonated drink really) I would add more and more water to it over time til it was so lightly flavored it was practically.

I still don't love water, but I can drink it without gagging. Especially if it is spring water.

One last tip: you may find the water more tolerable if it is cold or iced.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am almost 41 and for as long as I can remember the taste of water make me physically sick, I get server nausea and I gag him drinking water. Actually the only things I can drink it coffee, Diet Pepsi and cranberry juice, however water really makes me sick other drinks such as Sprite, orange juice, etc I just don't like the taste. I have tried to drink all types of water such as purified, spring, smart I have also tried to add flavor so to my water NOTHING works. I have told my doctor about this but he just says drink water you have to, not caring or understanding that it actually makes me sick physically. Does anyone else have this issue? I have heard of other people that this happens to as well but no one has a true answer so I am asking everyone here if any of you know the answer. WHY does any and all make me sick...

How is this a debate topic?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am almost 41 and for as long as I can remember the taste of water make me physically sick, I get server nausea and I gag him drinking water. Actually the only things I can drink it coffee, Diet Pepsi and cranberry juice, however water really makes me sick other drinks such as Sprite, orange juice, etc I just don't like the taste. I have tried to drink all types of water such as purified, spring, smart I have also tried to add flavor so to my water NOTHING works. I have told my doctor about this but he just says drink water you have to, not caring or understanding that it actually makes me sick physically. Does anyone else have this issue? I have heard of other people that this happens to as well but no one has a true answer so I am asking everyone here if any of you know the answer. WHY does any and all make me sick...

How is this a debate topic?

I have no idea. I remember it being posted in Food & Nutrition originally, if not there it was definitely not in here. Too many posts get in here because no one reads further than Health & Fitness. It's why this sub-forum also has such debate topics as the high price gouging of Whole Foods, what to eat on a holiday, and should I eat chocolate.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly care for plain water - I can only tolerate it if I've been working out and I'm super thirsty, and even then only barely.

I use Crystal Light to flavor my water - most grocery stores will sell Crystal Light and off-brand clones. They're not exactly calorie free, but it's only about 10 calories per packet. I find that getting in 2-3L of water a day basically adds up to 40-60 calories per day... not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I used to say the same thing until I started drinking water more regularly. I got used to it. But yes, drinking water used to make my stomach upset. I can drink a liter of water in an hour or two now, no problem. You just have to push past it.
  • gc384
    gc384 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing for diff reasons and it definitely is psychological. I just drink teas, coffees, milkshakes etc. I use juice drops in my water to make it 'nice' to me.
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, but have found that hot water is much easier to tolerate, but only in small quantities. A squeeze of lemon is also helpful I also drink tea and coffee, but very weak , and always decaffeinated. Just count the cals lf you are trying to lose weight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    i eventually got used to it.
    but to start i would drink crystal light of varying strength and drink it at room temperature.

it isn't a psych issue for me. it's an acid and/or inflammation issue