Are you concerned with what's in your food other than calories?

Options
Over the past year or so I have been doing a lot of research into the artificial substances that are allowed in many foods in the US. I was shocked to find out the number of foods that have petrochemicals added, foods that you would never think like milk, cheese, flour and even cooking oils.

Do you concern yourself with these issues or am I the only one here that is doing their best to eliminate these artificials and petrochemicals from my diet?

Replies

• grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about the fat, carb, and sodium content.
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OK folks I won't bring it up again, certainly not my place to tell anyone what you should and shouldn't eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No you aren't the only one

But in my honest opinion you are concerned about something that is completely unconcerning, you are being pulled into the faddish bollox of the multi-million dollar health & fitness industry and idiotic beauty / fitness bloggers and celebs who all try to find a point of differentiation

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LannyMixon wrote: »
    OK folks I won't bring it up again, certainly not my place to tell anyone what you should and shouldn't eat.

Letting go of the "should and shouldn't eat"s is one of the main reasons behind the majority of MFPers' success.

This is absolutely spot on in my experience ..fads and belief systems get in the way of progress and commitment
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Currently yes, because I'm doing LCHF. So in order of importance - Ingredients > Carb count > Net carbs > Calories.

Not too worried about chemicals though, as long as they don't bust my carb goal. Lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Aecetic Acid is a petrochemical. It's also the main ingredient in vinegar.
    Ethanol is a petrochemical. That's just booze.

if booze is a petrowhatsit, count me in! :laugh:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What sorts of sites did you find your "research" on? Sites with peer reviewed scientific studies with well documented research that considered context and dosage in humans when discussing these ingredients?

Or blog articles and sites wrtitten by people like the Food Babe who thrive and profit on creating unnecessary fears in the population by using scary sounding science terms and appealing to emotion like "would you really feed an ingredient that's also in antifreeze to your children"?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods, so no, not worried about it. I do read labels carefully when I buy packaged stuff and like to know what things are.

I'm not concerned that the approved ingredients are "toxic" in the relevant amounts or anything (more concerned about overall nutrient profile), but I do tend to prefer not to eat most of that stuff anyway, and plus I think whole foods cooked at home (and combined and processed as I like) tend to be tastier.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    using scary sounding science terms and appealing to emotion like "would you really feed an ingredient that's also in antifreeze to your children"?

My favourite thing. I've seen some good examples of this. Including "You don't water your plants with this, so WHY would you let your children drink it??" *photo of various fizzy soda drinks*

Well, I also am happy to feed my plants rotted down horse****, but somehow I feel like my theoretical children wouldn't be too happy with that.

Emotive language. Ugh.

Best quote EVER
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    With regards to what chemicals are in things....nope....I don't worry too much.

I have a protein goal I try to hit so I like to pick high protein foods. Other than that I try and get some veggies in and let the other macros fall wherever they land but aim to stay within calories.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Life is too short to be worried about the fearmongering you read on the net.

This!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The title of your post is "Are you concerned with what's in your food other than calories?"

Personally I cringe when I find hair in my food. I can't stand bugs in my food either. I had a roach run across my plate at a Japanese restaurant. My appetite disappeared. I found a large piece of plastic in a taco at a Mexican restaurant and received my money back. I'm just happy that I've never found any human body parts in my food.