Ketosis

Options
I need help! I am going to try the ketosis or high protein low carb thang but I can't figure out how many grams of Carbs, protein, fiber, fat I need. Can someone please help?? I did the keto calculator but i must be doing something wrong because I get down to how much protein should I eat and it is blank. It says I should eat 25g of carbs. I am 39 years old, a woman, lightly active, and 175 lbs. HELP!!!!

Replies

• ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ok...wait!!! I think i have the micro's figured out :/ Next question......How much do I have to worry about going over on protein? I mean that is basically all i eat sooooooo??
  • motrilla
    motrilla Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also trying keto and am on day 3. I like to make things simple. I don't worry about protein. Right now I'm just focusing on keeping my carbs and sugar intake low
  • alexandriaaymelek
    alexandriaaymelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love KETO. How tall are you ? I will help you .
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ok...wait!!! I think i have the micro's figured out :/ Next question......How much do I have to worry about going over on protein? I mean that is basically all i eat sooooooo??

Keto dieting isn't low carb-high protein. Too much protein will prevent ketosis and fat adaptation, the latter being the actual goal.
    The best way to describe it is low carb, high fat, middling protein. Something like a 5/65/30 c/f/p ratio is pretty common to start with.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I need help! I am going to try the ketosis or high protein low carb thang but I can't figure out how many grams of Carbs, protein, fiber, fat I need. Can someone please help?? I did the keto calculator but i must be doing something wrong because I get down to how much protein should I eat and it is blank. It says I should eat 25g of carbs. I am 39 years old, a woman, lightly active, and 175 lbs. HELP!!!!

LEARN about ketosis. LEARN. Think: LCHF moderate protein.
  • ConstantStruggle
    Options
    Motrilla.....how many grams of carbs/sugar are you allowing yourself?
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you go over on protein your body will convert it to glucose, thus you will not be in ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @ConstantStruggle as long as I keep my carbs <50 grams daily I can get into and stay in a state of nutritional ketosis. My protein intake daily is in the 70-90 gram range at at age 65 and 200 pounds.

I do LCHF for joint and muscle pain management and to regain my health. One side effect is I am down 50 pounds without dieting to lose weight.

Consider trying to not think about weight but just learning how to get into and stay in a state of nutritional ketosis. It can take a few months to learn about all the hidden carbs out there. I have been at this since Oct 2014 and still get tripped up sometimes but no big deal any longer.

Two years in at the age of 65 my health markers and my ability to move and walk are better than when I was 45. It seems my Way Of Eating is what triggered my Ankylosing Spondylitis form of arthritis 40 years ago.

30 days after I left sugar and all grains cold turkey my pain levels of 7-8 dropped to 2-3 and continues to improve.

There is nothing magical about nutritional ketosis in a medical sense but it sure can seem to be magical to some of us. Best of Success.
  • ConstantStruggle
    Options
    how do i figure out how many grams of protein in need?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    how do i figure out how many grams of protein in need?

If you know your bodyfat %, just go with 0.6-0.8g/lbs of lean mass, and play with the fat from there. If you don't know it, start with 20-30% of your caloric allotment and adjust as necessary.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @ConstantStruggle there are different formulas that people use but nutritional ketosis is NOT high protein and the 70-90 grams can not be eaten all at one meal without getting kicked out of nutritional ketosis for a few hours.

Remember and treat 50% of protein amount as CARBS since about half of protein gets converted to glucose. I am fine as long as I do not eat more than 50 grams of carbs plus the 70-90 grams of protein. There is no limit on how much Fat I can eat but the scales will record the net results of my actual CICO. :)

While I never plan to be Zero Carb (just ate 1/4 pound of cashews for a snack) the above medical fact is why CARBS are NOT required for humans to be healthy. We die at some point without both Protein and Fats however.

3-6 months months from now you will have the hang of ketosis so just get started and learn your way forward.

I go in and out of ketosis several times a week. Ketosis is NOT required for weight loss but I find it awesome for reversing the damage of 40 years of eating in a way that was not best for my body.
  • Laurie6578
    Laurie6578 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been striving for nutritional ketosis since April 5. I've lost 35 pounds and learned a lot. I'm not diabetic but I am regularly monitoring what kind of effect different foods have on my blood glucose levels (and keeping notes on it.) Everyone is different - you have to find your own levels of carb/protein and fats that work for you but there are some good starting points out there. Hidden sugars and additives are hard to get away from. But the effort is worth it, my other health markers are improving such as blood pressure going down. Staying motivated under crazy job stress is my biggest challenge. Hang in there and read everything you can find from reputable sources.