Are you concerned with what's in your food other than calories?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    The title of your post is "Are you concerned with what's in your food other than calories?"

Personally I cringe when I find hair in my food. I can't stand bugs in my food either. I had a roach run across my plate at a Japanese restaurant. My appetite disappeared. I found a large piece of plastic in a taco at a Mexican restaurant and received my money back. I'm just happy that I've never found any human body parts in my food.

i found some plastic in my cookie dough chocolate brownie stack... still ate it though!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I avoid artificial sweeteners. Other than that... *shrug*
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What sorts of sites did you find your "research" on? Sites with peer reviewed scientific studies with well documented research that considered context and dosage in humans when discussing these ingredients?

My research began with my then kindergartner was having severe behaviour problems in school. We have since found out that he has a sever allergic reaction to a number of petrochemicals that you find in many common foods, dyes are some of them he also has reactions to TBHQ which is a petrochemical used to preserve anything from cereal to milk to cooking oil. He also reacts to BHA and BHT. These are clinical diagnosis not some blog entry.

We no longer have behavioural issues at school and he is a straight A student.

The problem is that since these additives are considered "preservatives" they are not required by the FDA to be individually listed on packaging. This is what began our search to find out what is really in our foods.

Much of the research we did came from the Mayo Clinic, The Center for Science and Public Interest as well as National Library of Medicine. The WHO also has some pretty extensive research on those preservatives. I could go on and list you a lot more sources. I get it I was the skeptical one in our family before I saw the positive results we had removing these additives from our kids diet.

Because of the difficulty finding what folds and brands use these chemicals and a couple of other issue, we pretty much subscribe to the Feingold Diet program.

For 90%+ of the population you probably don't see any adverse reactions to any of these additives, I never did persnoally but I can tell you this I feel better, even before I began losing weight, since we removed many of the processed foods and thus the additives from our diets.

• LannyMixon
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    LannyMixon wrote: »
    OK folks I won't bring it up again, certainly not my place to tell anyone what you should and shouldn't eat.

Is that why you started this thread? To actually tell people what they should and shouldn't eat?

Not in the least, I was hoping to have a constructive conversation about the different chemicals and additives that it's ok to put in foods in the US but are banned in many countries around the world, but I figured out pretty quick that nobody cares so I stepped back and won't be starting any more threads on the topic.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    But you're quite right there though...if someone has an intolerance to an ingredient they should absolutely avoid it

That's not the same as conspiracy fearmongering though
  • LannyMixon
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    But you're quite right there though...if someone has an intolerance to an ingredient they should absolutely avoid it

I wasn't aware that is what I was doing, see ya learn something everyday.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about chemicals in food because I make all my food from scratch, so I don't have to worry as much as someone might who eats processed foods. I do worry about the pesticides used on the veggies I get. A lot of them are known carcinogens. Studies show farm workers who spray pesticides have an average life span of 40 and many have children with disabilities. It's no joke! I have many friends in the farming industry.

Heck no I don't want chemicals in my body! I stay away! Not about to be a Guinea pig to the corporation.

I think some people are more trusting of corporations that add chemicals to food. I'm not. But that's me. Why would a company that is focused on its bottom line care about my health?

I also stay away from foods that might have antibiotics or hormones. I notice that if I eat meat that has had hormones added to it to make the animal grow faster messes me up! And it's harder to lose weight. For me, hormone balance and weight loss go hand-in-hand.

We all are on our own food journey and have to figure out what works best for us :)

These are the important topics we should talk about, glad you brought it up!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    helene4 wrote: »
    I don't worry about chemicals in food because I make all my food from scratch, so I don't have to worry as much as someone might who eats processed foods. I do worry about the pesticides used on the veggies I get. A lot of them are known carcinogens. Studies show farm workers who spray pesticides have an average life span of 40 and many have children with disabilities. It's no joke! I have many friends in the farming industry.

Heck no I don't want chemicals in my body! I stay away! Not about to be a Guinea pig to the corporation.

I think some people are more trusting of corporations that add chemicals to food. I'm not. But that's me. Why would a company that is focused on its bottom line care about my health?

I also stay away from foods that might have antibiotics or hormones. I notice that if I eat meat that has had hormones added to it to make the animal grow faster messes me up! And it's harder to lose weight. For me, hormone balance and weight loss go hand-in-hand.

We all are on our own food journey and have to figure out what works best for us :)

Wow. So much fear mongering in one post. So you don't buy ANY processed food? No cheese, milk, pasta, meat etc?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You know the flour you use, the sugar, the baking soda, and the oils you used are processed by big corporations. I have lots of friends who are farmers and their parents as well as grandparents were all farmers. None of their kids have disabilities and they all have passed the age of 40, most by double that.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

How do the hormones in meat mess you up exactly? And why would it be harder to lose weight? How do you know when you are in hormone balance? This does not make sense,
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned with what's in your food other than calories?

Nope.

Well, OK, that said ... I do try to avoid foods with peanuts, mushrooms, and green peppers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

For 90%+ of the population you probably don't see any adverse reactions to any of these additives, I never did persnoally but I can tell you this I feel better, even before I began losing weight, since we removed many of the processed foods and thus the additives from our diets.
    Feeling better is anecdotal though. I feel better when I pet a dog, or do a good deed or win money in the lotto. Doesn't mean it's improved my mental statis or actually helped my metabolism.
    While it's important to know what you may have a physical reaction to, just thinking you'll have a reaction can paralyze you to possibly trying new foods. You do realize that even many "whole" foods on the market have dye in them to make them more appealing to buy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

I wasn't aware that is what I was doing, see ya learn something everyday.

I don't think that you were doing any fear-mongering, but an awful lot of threads that start the way yours did end up with a lot of fear-mongering based on some blog that somebody found on the interwebs... and we tend to get a lot of them here...
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my macros in balance. I also have to avoid Red 40 and asparatame, since both are migraine triggers for me. So, I read labels to make sure those things aren't in anything I'm going to eat.

Other than that... I don't worry too much about chemicals in my food. Most aren't in there in amounts great enough to do harm to the average person. Others... once you find out what the "chemical" is, you learn it's a vitamin or some other equally innocuous thing that's actually good for you - or, at least, not bad.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Edit- posted in wrong thread.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    What sorts of sites did you find your "research" on? Sites with peer reviewed scientific studies with well documented research that considered context and dosage in humans when discussing these ingredients?

My research began with my then kindergartner was having severe behaviour problems in school. We have since found out that he has a sever allergic reaction to a number of petrochemicals that you find in many common foods, dyes are some of them he also has reactions to TBHQ which is a petrochemical used to preserve anything from cereal to milk to cooking oil. He also reacts to BHA and BHT. These are clinical diagnosis not some blog entry.

The problem is that since these additives are considered "preservatives" they are not required by the FDA to be individually listed on packaging. This is what began our search to find out what is really in our foods.

Much of the research we did came from the Mayo Clinic, The Center for Science and Public Interest as well as National Library of Medicine. The WHO also has some pretty extensive research on those preservatives. I could go on and list you a lot more sources. I get it I was the skeptical one in our family before I saw the positive results we had removing these additives from our kids diet.

Because of the difficulty finding what folds and brands use these chemicals and a couple of other issue, we pretty much subscribe to the Feingold Diet program.

I share your concerns; but you will get no sympathy (and probably more than a little hostility) trying to discuss this topic on these boards.

I am glad you were able to find a solution to your son's issues before they tried to address them with unnecessary medication.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes but that's because I'm vegetarian and people like to sneak fish or other junk in food. Just the other day I read the ingredients for a pizza that looked vegetarian, and it had fish ingredients...likely as preservatives. Pretty gross. It's also in most orange juice.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    fads and belief systems get in the way of progress and commitment
    Love this!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

How awful for you and your family! But way to go with the detective work to find out if it was environmental. It must be awesome to see your kid thriving now :)
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ethanol is a petrochemical. That's just booze.

Ethanol is not made from the refining of petroleum or natural gas. It's made from the fermentation of sugars by yeast.

The ethanol found in your fuel tank, which may be the source of your confusion, is largely made from corn. At least in the US as there are other food based sources used to produce it as well. One of the reasons people object to the use of ethanol to run cars is because of the fear the fuel industry could become a direct competitor with the food industry for these raw ingredients, hiking the price of all corn/sorghum/etceteras (including that for human consumption).