natural vitamins for depression

Options
I am a new mom and believe I have PPD. I'm going to the doc on Tuesday but I don't want to go on antidepressants again. I have been on them before but don't like it. I do take a multivitamin but am looking for something else to take. I hear vitamin b's and/or st Johns wort are effective. .. anyone have experience with it?

Replies

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've heard, and am now trying, Vitamin D supplements help with depression. Not just the amount in a multi, they sell all kinds of levels.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ask your doc about bio-identical progesterone. When you're pregnant you have lots of the happy hormone. After the delivery, not so much until you start naturally ovulating again.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    B12 is what I have heard all my life is good. I take them. The kind that dissolve under your tongue.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,990 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've found St. John's Wort can help "get me out of a funk" which is much less severe than PPD, but everyone is different. Talk to your doctor about what they recommend for natural supplements, though some doctors are more knowledgeable about supplements than others. I've found some doctors will try to dissuade you from taking herbal supplements so they can prescribe the latest drug the pharmaceutical companies are pushing; however, other doctors are quite knowledgeable about supplements and will help you craft a good alternate regiment involving quality supplements.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 - which is good for the baby's brain if you are nursing
    beta carotene + sunlight - for producing plenty of vitamin D
    B complex - mostly because several B vitamin defficiencies can cause PPD
    Milk Thistle and Rosemary - bonus if you are nursing as these also boost milk production
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i had a friend who swore by St John's Wort, but please keep in mind it can effect the effectiveness of birth control pills (in case you've gone on them after birth!)

but PPD is serious so please work with your doctor and take prescription if needed. you can always ween off it later!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you are nursing, please be sure to talk to your doctor about any supplements that you are taking/plan on taking...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor. Also, St. John's Wort can render hormonal birth control ineffective.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You don't take a multivitamin that contains b's?
    PPD is real. Don't avoid medication if you need it.

Yes my vitamin does have vitamin b's
  • babypunkprincess
    Options
    i had a friend who swore by St John's Wort, but please keep in mind it can effect the effectiveness of birth control pills (in case you've gone on them after birth!)

but PPD is serious so please work with your doctor and take prescription if needed. you can always ween off it later!

wow good to know! I'm starting birth control soon

• babypunkprincess
    Options
    Surely you have not tried every possible antidepressant on the market? There are SO many.

I am all for holistic approaches, but not when it comes from advice from strangers in that internet that might compromise your safety and the safety of your children.

It's fantastic you are seeking out help from a doctor - please listen to her/him and follow their advice. If you REALLY want to try vitamins, seek out a qualified professional who can monitor you.

No I haven't. The one I was in in weaned off when I found out I was pregnant. It worked amazing but I want to try a natural way first.

however if my doc thinks antidepressants are the way to go then I'll take them.
  • babypunkprincess
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    If you are nursing, please be sure to talk to your doctor about any supplements that you are taking/plan on taking...

I'm not nursing. So I'm safe to take whatever I need to without affecting my son
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about vitamin D? Check your levels? There is a bit of research that low levels can make depression symptoms worse. https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/new-research-reports-vitamin-d-status-immediately-after-birth-may-relate-to-postpartum-depression/
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Vitamin D, B complex and St. John's Wort help me out. Getting enough sleep, listening to music, my faith, eating well and exercise are also helpful in reducing the affects of depression.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

100% this. Certain supplements can be excreted in breast milk and can be dangerous, sometimes even lethal to your child. Just saw you said you aren't nursing.

That being said, PPD is a very serious issue that should not be taken lightly. Please do not rely on strangers suggestions for "natural" approaches. Speak to your doctor and follow their advice.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Totally Natural would be start running the high is incredible and very healthy
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your baby! I agree with everyone who said talk to your doctor first. PPD is temporary so you might not even need to be on meds for too long, but the consequences of not getting the right meds for it could be incredibly high.

Having a baby is very isolating, especially if it's your first, and if you are used to being at work. You are home for weeks with just yourself and this little creature that needs everything. Try and check in with friends and family regularly during the day. Once baby is a month old and not so susceptible to germs don't be afraid to go out and do stuff.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time.