recipes for camping?

Options
klb620
klb620 Posts: 28 Member
Need some super simple ideas to use while camping and cooking strictly over fire. All I can think of is wrap veggies in foil with seasoning and lemon slices.... need some protein idea.

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Wrap chicken or beef in with the veggies. This is currently on the Cracker Barrel menu.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I also like to make the base for chicken n dumplings or beef stew before hand and just cook it over the fire adding extra stock as needed. Take along biscuit mix and make the dumplings there. Or take along a pack of noodles and make beef or chicken n noodles.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Kabobs!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have been following the Domestic Geek and she has been doing summer grilling recipes. She cooked eggs in bell peppers, and hash browns in foil. She also did a galette with berry and a frozen pie crust. Lots of ideas. Here is a link to the videos: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLziprGSUFGYSqPgMgJP6VmbBiDxqfrHQa
  • gc384
    gc384 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cut a line in a banana and wrap it in tin foil before setting on fire for a few minutes., add tiny pieces of chocolate if you want it a bit sweeter.

To eat just stick the spoon between the line you cut :)
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You can do everything on the fire that you can at home just takes longer. If you are making say bacon and eggs cook the bacon and then cook the eggs in the bacon grease so good ... not healthy but good.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Get a dutch oven. Opens up an entire other world of possibilities when it comes to campfire cooking beyond what you can do on a grate.
  • fallana
    fallana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Google "onion bombs". They are basically seasoned ground meat stuffed inside onions, wrapped foil. Can also wrap in bacon. Lots of variations. Fish and shrimp with veggies are super easy and quick to do in foil packets as well. I've also cooked pork tenderloin in the campfire. Do you have a cooking grate?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Hot dog on a stick
  • neilmoomey
    neilmoomey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Another dutch oven fan. That and a campfire grill is all you need. Get some Mamma Sitas Calderetta sauce mix then add veggies and meat. I like venison. Add two cups water and you have an amazing stew. Put most of the heat on top of the dutch oven. Get a 10" Lodge with legs and lip. Bring a small shovel. I grind the tip so I can lift the lid with it. I like to heat up flat rocks for the lid.

I like to grill fish I catch too. Leave the skin on, add spice and maybe lemon juice. Don't overcook.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Taco salad! Oh man it's so easy and so good.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    fallana wrote: »
    Google "onion bombs". They are basically seasoned ground meat stuffed inside onions, wrapped foil. Can also wrap in bacon. Lots of variations. Fish and shrimp with veggies are super easy and quick to do in foil packets as well. I've also cooked pork tenderloin in the campfire. Do you have a cooking grate?

I just did! Oh my...the bacon wrapped ones...I WANT!