Any one tried Herbalife?

Options
My cousin and his wife lost over 100 pounds using it. So I purchased some from them and have been using it for a few days. My biggest problem with losing weight in the past was not eating breakfast. For some reason eating in the morning would make me nauseous for the rest of the day but I found that I can drink an herbalife shake and not have that problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and can tell me their experience. Thanks!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It's an unnecessary expense.

giphy.gif

It also doubles as a pyramid selling scam.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Not tried Herbalife.

But there is a dietary strategy that works well for people who don't naturally take to eating breakfast, called "intermittent fasting" or "IF". Basically, people practicing IF limit their intake to certain hours of the day - e.g., lunch time to supper. These folks say it helps them maintain a calorie deficit that causes weight loss.

You can find out more about IF by using the search functions on this site if you are interested. There is even a group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105318-the-intermittent-fasters

Best wishes with your health goals!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight. Plenty of people skip breakfast and lose weight - are fairly large % of intermittent fasters (IF) skip breakfast and lose weight.

Losing weight is just the first step. Meal replacements can help with the first step. The problem is there is a second step for which meal replacements are worthless.

I got fat because my portions were too big. Meal replacements do nothing to address that. Measuring & logging REAL food does address that. That is what MFP is designed for. You won't get much support here, sorry.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It is ok but... make your own shake/smoothie it is much more filling. I tried the cafe latte and cookies and cream but I bought my own protein powder because they use a lot of soy. They never kept me full very long
    Try your own smoothie.
    Handful of spinach, 1 scoop protein powder, 8oz mixed berries, 1/4 C almond milk
  • colormeJamie
    colormeJamie Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My mom did herbalife many years ago. It's an investment. Probably not practical long term for the average person. It gives your body a huge boost of nutrients but in time you should learn to eat many of those naturally. I would say do anything that you can afford that makes you feel better. But it's not a cure all. You still have to eat healthy and exercise to lose weight. Plenty of people lose weight without it. It's just a personal choice and financial decision. Most people I know that have been successful on here just incorporate vegetables into every meal, even breakfast. Good luck.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    It gives your body a huge boost of nutrients

citation-needed.jpg
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I personally used herbalife. It was expensive and I gained it all back because I didn't learn the essential eating habits necessary to keep the weight off. Sure it was a quick fix, but it was only temporary. I had to learn that there was no magic pill that was going to do this for me. I had to work for it by changing my diet. Don't give a dollar to this company who sells you a shake full of fillers and nasty ingredients. Instead, Spend that money on whole foods that are going to give your body what it needs to reset and change. In this time you will learn to love healthy foods and it will become a lifestyle change for you. I can tell you want the change, and I think it is awesome that you are ready for it. I just want you to do it the right way so it sticks. :) Good luck on your journey!!!
  • Disneybound16
    Disneybound16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Herbalife but my husband and I use something similar ViSalus. It is cheaper and it works for us. We drink two shakes a day and a healthy meal for dinner. I have lost 28lbs and my husband almost 40 lbs in 11 weeks.
  • elmarkin12
    elmarkin12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost twenty five on Herbalife!! Works great for me
  • cmwanwrjw751
    cmwanwrjw751 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I currently only drink it for breakfast then eat whole foods for snacks, lunch, and dinner. I appreciate the advice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My cousin and his wife lost over 100 pounds using it. So I purchased some from them and have been using it for a few days. My biggest problem with losing weight in the past was not eating breakfast. For some reason eating in the morning would make me nauseous for the rest of the day but I found that I can drink an herbalife shake and not have that problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and can tell me their experience. Thanks!

Breakfast isn't a requirement for weight loss.

No need to buy expensive shakes.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    elmarkin12 wrote: »

Strong first post.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've lost 64lbs not eating breakfast. If I'm working out early I drink a protein shake that is far more nutritious and cheaper than Herbalife products. As far as I know, my shakes won't cause liver problems. Herbalife can't say that, sadly.
  • cmwanwrjw751
    cmwanwrjw751 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I've lost 64lbs not eating breakfast. If I'm working out early I drink a protein shake that is far more nutritious and cheaper than Herbalife products. As far as I know, my shakes won't cause liver problems. Herbalife can't say that, sadly.

What shake do you use?
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    elmarkin12 wrote: »

Your first post is to big up an mlm.....
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the bashing of herbalife as a product. It's a meal replacement shake like any other and it works if you stick to it. No I'm not a distributor either, just someone who uses it and likes it. As someone who struggles eating during the day, these shakes are easy for me to drink and get my necessary calories and nutrition for weight loss. If I get a little hungry I'll eat cheese or lunch meat and I'm fine til my healthy dinner. The shakes aren't "crap" or anymore expensive then other shakes, they're full of good ingredients and nutrition. I say if you want to try them then go for it. Nothing bad about them. I've lost 12 pounds using them. Also, I'll probably drink them after I reach my goals, because they are easier than eating when I don't wanna ☺ good luck on your journey!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't understand the bashing of herbalife as a product. It's a meal replacement shake like any other and it works if you stick to it. No I'm not a distributor either, just someone who uses it and likes it. As someone who struggles eating during the day, these shakes are easy for me to drink and get my necessary calories and nutrition for weight loss. If I get a little hungry I'll eat cheese or lunch meat and I'm fine til my healthy dinner. The shakes aren't "crap" or anymore expensive then other shakes, they're full of good ingredients and nutrition. I say if you want to try them then go for it. Nothing bad about them. I've lost 12 pounds using them. Also, I'll probably drink them after I reach my goals, because they are easier than eating when I don't wanna ☺ good luck on your journey!

Here's why people "bash" meal replacements.......

Consider that the vast majority of people who lose weight will gain it all back.

This website is designed for users to measure portions & log them. Meal replacements help you skip all that. As you said in your post above......."I'll probably drink them after I reach my goals, because they are easier than eating."

Keeping the weight off requires A) Drinking Herbal life forever to maintain your weight or B.) Doing the work.....measuring and logging actual food. In other words; figuring out how to eat properly.

Nothing bad about them?...........Google Herbalife & liver damage.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Never had any ill effects from herbalife, only good ones. And you learn to portion control and yes you "learn to measure and log actual food" for dinners and snacks. I personally do the shakes because eating foods during the day don't always agree with me, not everyone has to stay on them to keep weight off. You'd learn plenty just by planning dinner meals, weaning off them is 100% possible and I've done it too and maintained fine.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Aw, man, does the FTC's recent multimillion dollar judgement against Herbalife and forced restructuring mean we're going to see more of these "just looking for advice" ads?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/07/15/the_ftc_is_finally_punishing_herbalife.html