Keto journey

Options
motrilla
motrilla Posts: 13 Member
Hi my name is Mike. I'm 36 and just starting keto. My BMI is currently 22 and my goal is 15. I'm hopeful so we'll see how this goes :)

3b1urvn5ul8m.jpg

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Keto works.
    From Time Magazine quote :
    "Research is mounting that saturated fat is better for you than processed carbohydrates like sugar and white bread"
    http://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/
    Good luck!
  • leks808
    leks808 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I went from 22.7 in May to 18.2 this month. I dropped from 257 to 208. Now I'm trying to take my Keto to the next level and use it to put on lean muscle. Enjoy your journey.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF diet 4 days a week (with low calories) and then carb re-feed one day a week rest is maintenance. So far I've dropped 2 kg in 17 days. (4lbs)

Be prepare for initial changes though!
  • leks808
    leks808 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh and ya and beware of Keto Flu....
  • mtoolsidas
    mtoolsidas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BMI or BF? A BMI of 15 is considered underweight...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mtoolsidas wrote: »
    BMI or BF? A BMI of 15 is considered underweight...

Yes! Why do you want to be underweight op?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat.
  • graypirate1978
    graypirate1978 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started the Keto and I am down 3 lbs. is there a way to critique the food diary to the Keto diet?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group It's where most ketofiles hang out.

Don't forget to increase sodium to 3000-5000 mg per day to avoid the fatigue, headaches, nausea, brain fog and muscle aches and spasms that go with the electrolytes imbalance (caused by the initial water loss).
  • motrilla
    edited August 2016
    Options
    mlj8cuxraros.jpg
    Thanks for the info and support. Also, I made a mistake by saying bmi instead of body fat. I've been on keto for a week and so far I'm at 161.6 lbs and 20.7 body fat. A couple of things I noticed were:

1.) felt sluggish the 2nd and third day in
    2.) it's a little difficult for me to track the actual carbs I'm taking in. The app doesn't about for net carbs.
    3.) there's a constant metallic taste in my mouth

The hardest part was when my family and I went out for pizza. I had to sit with my body turned away from for it. Now I can't stop thinking about pizza :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^ It's wasteful, but eat the pizza topping and leave the crust.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    motrilla wrote: »
    A couple of things I noticed were:

1.) felt sluggish the 2nd and third day in
    2.) it's a little difficult for me to track the actual carbs I'm taking in. The app doesn't about for net carbs.
    3.) there's a constant metallic taste in my mouth

The hardest part was when my family and I went out for pizza. I had to sit with my body turned away from for it. Now I can't stop thinking about pizza :(

(1) Probably due to electrolyte imbalance meaning you need to up your sodium asap to the range detailed by @nvmomketo as stated above.

Also, there are some great LCHF friendly recipes out there for pizza dough/crust. There's absolutely no reason why you can't have pizza and still follow a Keto way of eating (WOE); however, the one caveat to that statement is that you will need to make the pizza crust at home from healthy flours and healthy fats.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I have heard legendary things about fathead pizza. Huh... I've been LCHF for over a year and haven't gotten around to making it yet. LOL
  • motrilla
    Options
    Its been almost 2 weeks and I'm at 159.5 lbs (down 7.5 lbs) and 20% bf (down 1%). I've decided that I'm going to try and stick it out without any cheat days until I reach my goal. Feeling good.
    vdhahh0icuou.jpg
  • motrilla
    Options
    3 weeks in. My weight is 155.2 lbs a(down 11.8 lbs) and 18.2 body fat (down 3.8%). I've had crazy dreams about chocolate, peanut butter and bread.

7s1lqu3ebck6.jpg