“fat-anniversary”

Options
Yesterday was my 10 year “fat-anniversary”.

In 2006 I dragged myself into a german hospital and was diagnosed as “severely morbidly obese”, weighing 150.4kg (approx.23.5 stone or 330lbs). Being tall and wearing baggy clothes did disguise some of the fat, but let’s face it I was huge, flabby and extremely miserably.

It took me 7 years to reach an acceptable weight (around the 80kg (12.5stone or 175lbs)), which I am very happy to have maintained over the last 3 years (with the usual ups and downs).
I fit into a UK size 12/14 (instead of a 32/34), can run for hours (without dying after 100yards), lift heavy weights (without having to ask somebody to carry my shopping), fit into my own bathtub (without getting struck), use an airplane seat (without having to ask for an extension seat belt) and bend down to tie my own shoes (without embarrassingly having to ask for help) and my medical record are “normal

rnkfl9brn2jb.jpg
So, if you want to get rid of 5lbs, 15lbs or 50lbs – it’s never too late to start and the benefits outweigh any pizza you will ever eat.

Just do yourself one huge favor: DO NOT GO ON A DIET!

They do NOT work (and I have tried them ALL!) and you cannot loose several stone in 3 months and expect them never to come back!!! (Please do not ruin your metabolism doing this).
How to do it?

• Make small but constant changes towards a healthy and balanced lifestyle (Vegetables are your friends!)
• Find a group which will support you when times are tough (and are happy with you when times are good
• Exercise/Moving around has to be part of your daily life
• Take your time losing the weight while getting healthier and leaner (you did not gain a lot of weight in just weeks – so don’t expect weight to come off in weeks and stay off).
• Never ever beat yourself up after a “bad day or week” – refocus and keep going. What’s the point in looking backwards? You are not going there anyway, so keep looking forward.

v31c8fdozjpq.jpg
Have a happy & healthy future and to quote my favorite nutritionist: “eat something good for me today”

Replies

• Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good for you and good for us receiving your wisdom.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You still lost 10kg / year! That is amazing and inspiring. I have nowhere near what you had to lose as I started at 106kg and am now just under 90kg most days. That has taken 4 years, so I'm only going at 4kg / year.

Like you I don't stave myself and most of my changes are slow and study. I'm pecking away at it. Mostly I'm trying to replace the fat with muscle and lose a bit more. That is kind of working too as I did 144 pushups today. I could do more but I want keep beating it for a while. :blush:

Anyway I really like your approach! Hats off to you.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    You look marvelous!!
  • gillis1118
    gillis1118 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for being so inspiring and motivating
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting. Was getting discouraged after only losing .7 in two weeks but you are right - it will take time to do it right! Thanks for keeping me motivated.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Great job! Great attitude!
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats! How tall are you?
  • ravenforest3009
    ravenforest3009 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    5'
  • ravenforest3009
    ravenforest3009 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    5'11" or 181cm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Woooooo!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I love that you took your time. For me that is the most difficult! I want to see changes now but I am learning that sticking to it is more important than giving up because I am disappointed. You have given me much inspiration - thank you!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love your advice! It's exactly what I tell people that ask me what I'm doing. Congrats on not only losing the weight but keeping it off!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You are an inspiration to many!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you did a fantastic job. Great words of wisdom eloquently said
  • caughtredhandd83
    caughtredhandd83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My favorite part was "Don't look backward. You're not going there anyway."
    Thank you for sharing your story. It was moving and insightful. You look so much happier now, and your radiance really shines through. I sent you a friend request. Feel free to accept or deny as you feel comfortable with. Best wishes on the rest of your journey.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow girl great job
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You were always very pretty, from the photos I see here. But did it surprise you how cute you really are without the weight? Don't be shy about it!
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that advice and your experience. It is great to hear from someone who has lost and maintained because ultimately that's what we're all aiming for.
    Btw.....you look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!