Night shift nurse problem.

Options
I work three 12 hour night shifts a week on a very busy neurocritical care unit. Some nights I don't get to sit down or even pee for my whole shift depending on how crappy my patient is doing.
I started using this app last Friday and on the nights I'm working I make all of my food and pack it for work, then I pre-enter into the diary.

Well, a problem I have come across this week is that I realize if I'm having a super ridiculous busy night, I don't always get a chance to eat lunch or anything. This means I'm eating like 300 calories for breakfast, then going like 13 hours without anything else. Now, this isn't every night. Most nights I get to eat with no problem. But sometimes I have a disaster patient and you are stuck in the room with them trying to keep them alive.
I've tried putting snacks in baggies or something in my pocket but when you are running your behind off, there sometimes feels like literally no time to eat. Then at the end of my shift when I'm finally sitting to chart I'm eating like everything I packed and in literally eating the rest of the day's calories in one meal.
Not sure what to do about that or how that will impact losing weight.

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Also a night shift nurse, and am sending you a friend request. Lost 60 pounds using this app. Try putting a protein bar in your pocket and sneak a few bites. I pre-pack and pre-log also. Try to eat a large dinner before going to work. It sucks when you can't get a bathroom break....
  • justinstuart99705
    justinstuart99705 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Charlie, Not an expert by any means but as long as you come in at your recommended calories within the "day" you should be ok. The issue would be if when you got home you ate beyond your calories. What you may want to try is protein shakes, I use GNC Lean 25 and those keep me full for quite a few hours. I use milk, and Powered Peanut Butter (PB is my weakness) and then vanilla and that helps for about 5 hours.
  • tazroni
    tazroni Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too am a nurse but lucky enough not to work night shift any longer but when I did I ate a good "breakfast" before I left for work. My next meal would be lighter and then the rest of calories either closer to morning or when I got home. I agree with Justin, ideally you can spread them over the day but if you eat them all at once and its only those isolated night shifts you should be fine. Btw, love you dog, have one identical!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Timing of meals makes no difference to weight loss so if that's your concern don't worry about. There are plenty of people on MFP who practice intermittent fasting and eat only one meal per day. I'd be more concerned about how you feel going that long without eating, drinking or peeing!

One suggestion might be to eat a bigger meal before you go in to work. Then plan on eating light while you're there and then a good meal when you get done. Pack things like protein bars you can carry and just take one bite of it at a time when you have the odd moment.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice.
    I usually wake up at 4:30-5 and eat breakfast, get in the shower, and end up at work by 6:30. I never have any appetite when I first wake up so I don't think I could eat more than I usually do. I pretty much only eat because I know I'm not gonna be able to for awhile.
    I'm a chronic migraine sufferer and not eating definitely exacerbates my headaches. I am pretty much at a point with my headaches where they are just constant and certain things make them better or worse but they are always there. Sleeping like crap during the day and going all night without food screws me up.
    I used to bring like glucerna shakes with protein to work, but my stomach doesn't seem to agree with them. I think I may have an issue with some dairy because I get really bloated and gassy and I feel super uncomfortable. Are those GNC shakes dairy based?
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    tazroni wrote: »
    I too am a nurse but lucky enough not to work night shift any longer but when I did I ate a good "breakfast" before I left for work. My next meal would be lighter and then the rest of calories either closer to morning or when I got home. I agree with Justin, ideally you can spread them over the day but if you eat them all at once and its only those isolated night shifts you should be fine. Btw, love you dog, have one identical!!

Night shift is slowly killing me. I can't wait to get off of it. My old habits included eating a large meal when I got home and going right to bed. I think that may have contributed to some of the weight gain in dealing with now lol.

Oh and I have two beautiful wiener dogs. They are my little loves.

• PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm not a nurse (but my mom is, and nurses are awesome!), but I used to work night shift which contributed a lot to my initial weight gain, so I know them feels. I know nurses are hella busy and it's nearly impossible to get time to eat, and I know you said you tried baggies of snacks, is it possible to bring some that are easy to eat and eat them right before your shift or while you're filing paperwork (sliced carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, and red peppers with hummus; apple slices with peanut butter; clementines or oranges; nuts and seeds, etc)? I used to do that when I worked midnights and first started my weight loss journey, and it helped hold off hunger until I got home so I wouldn't consume excessive amounts of calories in one sitting.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. Premier Protein shakes save me. I can suck one down in about 15 seconds. 30g protein and 160 calories.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nurse but my mom was and is a midwife now. Her hours are weird with some 12 hour days and a 12 hour night each week. She has told me she brings snacks just like when we go hiking; protein bars, jelly beans, trail mix, etc. If she has a patient in labor she obviously can't take a real break so the snacks keep her energy up since she can grab a bite here and there.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What about the ready made protein shakes or even meal replacement shakes? They can be knocked down fast.
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Timing of meals makes no difference to weight loss so if that's your concern don't worry about. There are plenty of people on MFP who practice intermittent fasting and eat only one meal per day. I'd be more concerned about how you feel going that long without eating, drinking or peeing!

One suggestion might be to eat a bigger meal before you go in to work. Then plan on eating light while you're there and then a good meal when you get done. Pack things like protein bars you can carry and just take one bite of it at a time when you have the odd moment.
    Yep, agreed. I tend to eat 1-2 meals per day and I'm losing just fine.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you think dairy is bothering you, train the Orgain shakes or powder. They are plant based and dairy free. I buy mine at Costco. I have seen them on Amazon or at target premade. I *thought* my headaches associated w dairy but when I got migraine for a month straight in my third pregnancy, I tried plant based eating and in three days I was headache free. You just sounded a bit like me so I thought I would throw in the suggesting. --if you want to try it, go one week w no dairy, not even a little bit, or am ingredient in something-- you should find out pretty quick if that's your trigger. It sucks.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Another night shift nurse here (7P-7A, like right now). I work in labor and delivery so it can be crazy busy with the whole idea of any kind of break going right out the window. I eat a real dinner before I come to work because you never know what you're walking into. You can be stuck pushing with a patient for four hours straight, or in the OR when the pushing didn't work. I pack light, easy to grab items like carrots, cheese, eggs, nuts. I eat them when I can, sometimes it piles up at the end of the shift when everything has hit the fan all night long. I do not eat a large meal when I go home though, I eat something light along the same lines as what I've brought to work.