Training Program

Options
Hi!

I've been in a 2 day split (upper body, lower body, rest, upper body, lower body, rest, rest) for about a month now. I through some cardio into rest days every now and then.

I've noticed some results, but not the ones I've been looking for; mainly in thickness. While looking for another program I've noticed that most people focus on 2 muscle groups but only once per week (i.e. Back and shoulders on Monday, etc.). This doesn't seem right to me, I mean, you stimulate that muscle group once a week and let it rest for 6 days?

What do you recommend? What is your workout program?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need to be patient. "About a month" is not enough time to see much in the way of results.

I do an upper/lower split, 4 days a week. I've done full body 2 and 3 times a week as well. I have liked them all.
  • Macpui85
    Macpui85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You need to be patient. "About a month" is not enough time to see much in the way of results.

I do an upper/lower split, 4 days a week. I've done full body 2 and 3 times a week as well. I have liked them all.

Oh, I've been training more than a month; I adopted the split around that time. I know it takes patience, the thing is I have seen little to no progress.

I'm mostly interested in your program, 2 day split and full body 3 times a week seems to be your answer.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you don't mind reading a really long article on training, you should check out Greg Nuckol's Complete strength training guide.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How are you judging progress? Are you getting stronger by lifting heavier weights or doing more reps?
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    My training program typically goes like this:

Day 1: Upper Body Set 1 [the upper body exercises are so numerous that I have to split them up (24 of them).]
    Day 2: Lower Body Set 1 [same reason as the upper body (18 of them)]
    Day 3: Yoga [flexibility is just as important as strength]
    Day 4: Upper Body Set 2
    Day 5: Lower Body Set 2
    Day 6: Core/Abs
    Day 7: Resting Day

The exercises I do each day are in my exercise diary, which is open. Though I don't know if MFP lets you see others' exercise diaries like they do others' food diaries. If they do. Day 1 = Thursdays.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing 24 exercises on your upper body day?!?!

If you want that kind of split why don't you just run the program PHUL. It's two powder days for upper and lower and two hypertrophy days for upper and lower. Make sure you had a progressive overload.
  • xvolution
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

If you want that kind of split why don't you just run the program PHUL. It's two powder days for upper and lower and two hypertrophy days for upper and lower. Make sure you had a progressive overload.

It's 12 on Set 1, 12 on Set 2. Each of the exercises works the muscles a bit differently [some use anchored resistance bands, some use a medicine ball, some are free form, etc].
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Personally, I respond better to training one muscle group per day, except for arms. So my training would look like this.

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Bi's and Tri's
    Friday: Shoulders
    Repeat

I believe in quality over quantity. You can train a body part twice a week, but is the quality there?
  • arditarose
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

It's 12 on Set 1, 12 on Set 2. Each of the exercises works the muscles a bit differently [some use anchored resistance bands, some use a medicine ball, some are free form, etc].

You mean 24 reps per exercise? You are confusing me.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Personally, I respond better to training one muscle group per day, except for arms. So my training would look like this.

Repeat

I believe in quality over quantity. You can train a body part twice a week, but is the quality there?

Unless you're only doing isolation exercises, you're working muscles multiple times a week.
  • xvolution
    edited July 2016
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

You mean 24 reps per exercise? You are confusing me.

There are a total of 24 upper body exercises I do a week. I've found that if I try to do more than 12 exercises in a single day I start to suffer the effects of over-exercise [exhaustion, poor recovery, etc]. So I split them into two different sets, one on Day 1, one on Day 4.

As for reps, 3 sets, 20 reps per set [or until failure, whichever comes first]. If I do all 3 sets/20 reps, next week the weight goes up.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Repeat

Unless you're only doing isolation exercises, you're working muscles multiple times a week.

I may only do one or two compound lifts per session, the rest are isolation.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like to hit a muscle group every 4 or 5 days. That feels like enough rest without over-training.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Repeat

Full body routines are some of the best routines a person can follow, especially for lifters who aren't very lean, haven't reach strength potential and who are short on time. It minimize stress on the central nervous system since there is a rest day; it maximize stimulus of muscle fiber (increase MPS); and maximizing total body strength. And the fact that you do mostly isolation, it will no where near be as effective as a solid fully body routine.

OP, what are you actually trying to achieve?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Macpui85 wrote: »
    Hi!

I've been in a 2 day split (upper body, lower body, rest, upper body, lower body, rest, rest) for about a month now. I through some cardio into rest days every now and then.

I've noticed some results, but not the ones I've been looking for; mainly in thickness. While looking for another program I've noticed that most people focus on 2 muscle groups but only once per week (i.e. Back and shoulders on Monday, etc.). This doesn't seem right to me, I mean, you stimulate that muscle group once a week and let it rest for 6 days?

are yo utryign to gain weight/lose weight or what? your post doesn't make it clear? what are your goals?
  • Macpui85
    Options
    FSLSBSmfp wrote: »
    How are you judging progress? Are you getting stronger by lifting heavier weights or doing more reps?

Heavier weights, about 5% once 12 reps per set are reached.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Up your weights. Tis the answer, I promise.
  • Macpui85
    Options
    Macpui85 wrote: »
    Hi!

are yo utryign to gain weight/lose weight or what? your post doesn't make it clear? what are your goals?

Gain muscle mass and lose fat.
  • arditarose
    Options
    So it sounds like you are doing a lot of isolation work. Even isolation work doesn't HAVE to be done at 12 reps. You can up weight and try 10 reps, you can lower it and go for 20, etc. And why not more heavy compound work? Are you squatting/deadlifting/OHP/Benching/Barbell rowing?

Also, you're not going to see much recomp results in a month. Give it 6. To a year.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Repeat

Full body routines are some of the best routines a person can follow, especially for lifters who aren't very lean, haven't reach strength potential and who are short on time. It minimize stress on the central nervous system since there is a rest day; it maximize stimulus of muscle fiber (increase MPS); and maximizing total body strength. And the fact that you do mostly isolation, it will no where near be as effective as a solid fully body routine.

OP, what are you actually trying to achieve?

I disagree with you.