Can I cook less than a cup of rice using a rice cooker?

Options
JC77721
JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
This is my first time using a rice cooker. The instructions shown are for 1 cup at least of rice but since I am eating about 250 grams of carbs during the day (dieting), one cup of rice would be too much to eat for me (about 140 grams of carbs). Then the instructions say to fill enough water until the mark (mark 1 = 1cup, 2nd mark = 2cups of rice, etc.).
I want to eat 1/4 of a cup of brown rice or 1/2 at most, is this possible using a rice cooker? If so, how much water should I use?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just refrigerate any leftover rice?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JC77721
    Options
    Good idea, but I also just learning to cook. How would I reheat the leftover rice?
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can. I have a Wolfgang Puck mini rice cooker, and I usually only do 1/2 cup of rice at a time for my family to eat, since I don't like it much and don't want leftover rice taking up room in the fridge. Just measure out your water and rice as usual and cook it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Stick it in the microwave until it's hot.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You can just microwave any leftover rice, though it's usually a bit drier and harder this way. Sometimes I run my fingers under water and sprinkle a bit over the rice before microwaving.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I bought this from Amazon and still use it occasionally:

Rice cooker link

If you have a small sauce pan you could also use it to make small quantities of rice. I'm thinking of the instructions on those box meals where they have me add about 2/3 cup water to 44g of rice, heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You can just microwave any leftover rice, though it's usually a bit drier and harder this way. Sometimes I run my fingers under water and sprinkle a bit over the rice before microwaving.
    This.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I just do the old Asian way of measuring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTVULD2jmU

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

If you don't like the results from microwaving, you can boil a pot of water (large enough for the rice to float around in, but it doesn't need to be any more than that -- and it will save time and energy if you don't use a lot of extra water*), toss the rice in for about 20 seconds, or until the water returns to a boil, and drain it.

*You say you're only just learning to cook, OP. Boiling water is one of the first skills you need to master. :smiley:
  • JC77721
    Options
    Thank you fuys for the help ;) I decided now to cook half a cup of brown rice on the rice cooker since I don't really like microwaving food. Any tips on how much water to use? the rice is not that much, so I can't to use the finger technique shown on the video posted above and the instructions on the rice cooker are very confusing

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JC77721 wrote: »
    Good idea, but I also just learning to cook. How would I reheat the leftover rice?

Best way to reheat rice is to put it in a sieve and pour a full kettle of freshly boiled water over it

Fluffs and separates and heats individually

Microwave works if already in dish with sauce
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Thank you fuys for the help ;) I decided now to cook half a cup of brown rice on the rice cooker since I don't really like microwaving food. Any tips on how much water to use? the rice is not that much, so I can't to use the finger technique shown on the video posted above and the instructions on the rice cooker are very confusing

Double water to rice (if boiling / microwaving)
  • JC77721
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Double water to rice (if boiling / microwaving)

Would it be the same if using the rice cooker? I'll try later today but just to make sure
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    From http://m.wikihow.com/Cook-Rice-in-a-Rice-Cooker

White, long grain - 1 3/4 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (420 mL water per 240 mL rice)
    White, medium grain - 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (360 mL water per 240 mL rice)
    White, short grain - 1 1/4 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (300 mL water per 240 mL rice)
    Brown, long grain - 2 1/4 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (520 mL water per 240 mL rice)
    Sold as "parboiled" (not half-cooked at home) - 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice
    For Indian style rices like Basmati or Jasmine, less water is needed as a drier rice is desired, use no more than 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice. Use only 1 to 1 if you washed the rice previously. It is ok to add bay leaves or cardamom pods directly to the rice cooker to enhance the flavor.
  • JC77721
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks
  • mochi622
    mochi622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I put leftover rice in a steamer basket in a pot with a bit of water and steam it till it is heated up. Becomes nice and fluffy just like I made it freas. Also you can freeze leftover rice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options

Exactly this!
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    You can also reheat in a lidded pan - just stir it around and add a sprinkle of water.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    You can also freeze leftover rice. It works well - you can put individual portions in ziplock baggies.
  • JC77721
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you guys for the tips