Training for 5K obstacle race - help!

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    gc384 wrote: »
    No worries about the disagreements i only did it for a living lol.

Which unit were you in?
  • gc384
    gc384 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Which unit were you in?

managed to stay at 45 for the most part apart from other detachments. were you in before yourself?

• gc384
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    working on the cardio base by using a couch to 5k program is whats needed. if there were obstacles every 100 yards sprints would be fantastic but the obstacles will be spaced out over 5k. You could throw in a couple sprints at the end of all your c25k workouts to improve your cardio fitness but I think that the c25k program is the way to go.

You may have done this for a living but you certainly had a distance running component in your training that came before your obstacle course runs. My guess is you had to be able to run a couple miles for time just to enter your branch of the military.

Hence the reason I suggested to the OP to continue with her spinning/body pump circuit- if she is injured she isn't going to run 3 miles in one direction then be stuck out there due to her aforementioned injury.

Our longer distance runs were all ran with weight so it wasn't the same as without. When it came to obstacles/assault courses they were sprints between obstacles. When I said sprint I was exagerrating, but after each obstacle you should be hitting the ground with 80% of your max speed.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Which unit were you in?

managed to stay at 45 for the most part apart from other detachments. were you in before yourself?

Good location to be based out of, and some pretty interesting tours lately.

I've had 26 years in so far, all over the place.
  • gc384
    Options
    [/quote]

Good location to be based out of, and some pretty interesting tours lately.

I've had 26 years in so far, all over the place.[/quote]

26 years jesus lol. Where are you at now? Did you go the commission route?

I finished after 8 and been contracting for the past 7 and moved to the states. I have to say 'uk commando' or they like to compare us to USMC there lol..

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with c25k, you can probably start a couple of weeks in, 3x a week and body pump 2x a week.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well 10 days later and I'm surprised that I have managed to keep up my usual workout routine and do C25K 3 times a week (4 runs so far) without dying! LOL! The first two runs were killer (started on week 2) but today I ran from week 5 and it pushed me but I could have done more, all good. I'll keep pushing myself as best I can, but I'm feeling much more confident about the race now. Thanks!
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well today was my 5K race and I did it! I finished. Pretty crappy time but I knew it would be. Considering I've had ME/CFS for the last 10 years I'm amazed I completed at all!!! Hurrah!
    Ready for my next one now! :smile: