Lose weight just by strength training??

Options
Can you lose weight just by doing like an hour of full body strength training a day like pilates for example? Or do you have to add cardio too? LOL I'm not much of a runner so I cant really stick to it but love Pilates! :)

Replies

• thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    provided you still stick to CICO, strength training is excellent exercise!
  • xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options

sorry this might sound dumb but whats CICO?
  • tammmers83
    tammmers83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    *kitten* cardio.... Strength trtraining is way more effective
  • xMiracat
    Options
    tammmers83 wrote: »
    *kitten* cardio.... Strength trtraining is way more effective

really? how is that? lol never heard anyone say that before haha
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »

CICO = Calories In v Calories Out
  • TheHungryHorsie
    TheHungryHorsie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't have to be running. Walking is fine!

You can do it with just strength training
    But you need to do it with high intensity to work.

But strength and cardio is the best. Even if your Cardio just walking 20min
  • xMiracat
    Options

CICO = Calories In v Calories Out

lol thanks!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight doing 100% strength, you can lose weight doing 100% cardio, you can lose weight mixing any percentage of both.
    Also cardio takes on a lot more forms than running or elipticals & such. It's almost endless what can be considered cardio
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If gaining muscle and losing body fat rather than changing your weight on the scales is your end goal then you may be able to do it just by strength training -- recompositioning. Otherwise you are going to have to eat fewer calories than you burn.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    But you are unlikely to lose weight if you don't pay attention to your food intake. That's yhe CI part. Because you can't exercise enough to overcome eating too much. There's just not enough CO unless all you do is spend all day working out. And if you don't learn how to eat then when you cut back the exercise your weight will come back.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In terms of exercise diminishing your appetite enough so that you achieve CICO without tracking it...maybe. I find that both cardio and strength training diminish my appetite for a period of time afterwards and if I could work hard enough (which I can't seem to do now without getting injured), I think exercise alone would work for me, to a certain point. I've read studies that have said something similar, that exercise does have short term appetite diminishing effects for some.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You don't lose weight BY strength training. You lose it by calorie deficit, which means you don't need cardio. Cardio for fitness/heart health, lifting for body composition/strength/general hotness, calorie deficit for weight loss.

I have lost anywhere from 40-50lbs with minimal cardio.

^^^^ this!!!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less calories than your burn. Pilates, weight lifting, cardio all add to the burn part of the equation and are good for you health and maintaining muscle mass. However, the biggest factor is diet. You can't out train a bad diet. An intense hour of pilates may burn 400 calories say. However, you can wipe out the calorie burn in that entire hour with just a few bites of food. You have to track your calories and keep them in a deficit. You can add on strength or cardio if you want.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight just by doing like an hour of full body strength training a day like pilates for example? Or do you have to add cardio too? LOL I'm not much of a runner so I cant really stick to it but love Pilates! :)

I wouldn't call Pilates strength training but that's just my opinion.

Not only will you lose weight but you'll look amazing! I lost 98lbs without doing a lick of cardio, I only started doing cardio at that point because I plateaued for 5 weeks and I wanted to hit 100lbs lost. I followed a bodybuilding/ bro split if that helps you. I would recommend a 5x5 program if I was to do it all over again though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You don't lose weight BY strength training. You lose it by calorie deficit, which means you don't need cardio. Cardio for fitness/heart health, lifting for body composition/strength/general hotness, calorie deficit for weight loss.

I have lost anywhere from 40-50lbs with minimal cardio.

yup this.

I lost 50+lbs with just a calorie deficit.

I maintained most of my muscle by lifting heavy
    I got heart healthy by walking/running.

I got to eat more food and still lose weight because I did exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    To this day I don't know what pilates is supposed to do for you other than aggravate your neck because it's always needing to be held up while you're lying on the floor.