Too much exercise?

Options

Replies

• awcforever
    awcforever Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is no way you're doing 6 hours training a day and being the size you are in your photo. Or if you ARE doing 6 hours, its very low activity.
    @gc 384

Your statement isn't correct. I am training to become a fighter and regularly train 4-7 hours daily in Muay Thai, Brazilian jiu jitsu, weights, swimming, cardio etc. I am in the process of bringing down my weight but still need to get down 30 pounds. It is possible to train hard and still not be down to the right size and hit plateaus. I've been training like this for months (very sustainable when you're enjoying it). Many times it is a calorie deficit. With the amount of calories I burn I still have to eat about 2500 calories a day to still lose weight and not get lightheaded during training and I am a good 70 lbs smaller than awcforever. Try upping your calorie intake with nutritious foods.

Holy smokes folks! I did 12 minutes of Tabata training tonight and I am dead......I mean just down right exhausted. I ate 2300 calories today and I'm going to give this whole HIIT a chance to see what comes of it. Hands down the most drained I've been in a long time.

On a side note I felt like I deserved my big bowl of chicken fettuccine Alfredo and garlic bread...LOL!
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    awcforever wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for the input! My routine consists of:
    - 1 mile hike / jog in the morning before work
    - .5 mile uphill interval sprint walk at about 9am
    - At lunch I do a 2 mile mountain climb about a 800 ft elevation
    - After work is another 1 mile hike to the place I park
    - then when I get home I do mixed calisthenics for about an hour
    - finally I do a low intensity jog / walk around my town which is about 4 miles.

I usually top out the evening between 25k and 30k steps on the fit bit. Thats where I'm a bit grey though because fitbit is saying I'm burning like 4500 calories a day so I cut that in half and shot for 2300 but backed down to 1900 recently due to lack of results.

My last weigh in where I lost weight was about a month ago. I started on March 1st and as of a month ago I've lost 62.5lbs. I now bounce between 245 and 250. I'd like to be around 225 or 230

So you are doing 8.5 miles of walking/climbing plus 30 minutes of calisthenics? I think you may want to look at the calorie estimates. For a while I was averaging about 9 miles a day of running at between a 7:00 and 7:45 pace with decent elevation changes, and I figured I burned less than 900 calories per day from exercise as a 6'2" 180 pound man. I ate less than 3000 per day total and maintained.
  • gc384
    gc384 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is no way you're doing 6 hours training a day and being the size you are in your photo. Or if you ARE doing 6 hours, its very low activity.
    @gc 384

Your statement isn't correct. I am training to become a fighter and regularly train 4-7 hours daily in Muay Thai, Brazilian jiu jitsu, weights, swimming, cardio etc. I am in the process of bringing down my weight but still need to get down 30 pounds. It is possible to train hard and still not be down to the right size and hit plateaus. I've been training like this for months (very sustainable when you're enjoying it). Many times it is a calorie deficit. With the amount of calories I burn I still have to eat about 2500 calories a day to still lose weight and not get lightheaded during training and I am a good 70 lbs smaller than awcforever. Try upping your calorie intake with nutritious foods.

30lbs is alot to get down to your fighting weight. My walking around weight was usually around 15lbs over my actual fighting weight class... and it always nearly killed me getting rid of the final 5lbs..

If you have 30lbs to lose then you're MASSIVELY off your competitive fighting weight. In any case I suspect the OP is either not performing high intensity for those hours, or not eating at a calorie deficit. Also the OP is trying to cut weight and you just advised him to increase his calorie intake....
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just a non-fitness or calorie note - are you drinking enough water? That's a lot of outdoor time and you retain water more when you are dehydrated. I'm drinking way more as it's summer - around 3 litres a day works for me.

You might also need more sleep!

• rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 days a week. If I power walk or jog it's only an hour a day, if I workout with my DVDs because I had lance no time to power walk because I gave to get to work well I will use my DVDs cardio and strength training every other day for 40 minutes a day and I'm losing inches . And I think I'm eating right . So if you're working out all those hours and not losing inches or losing weight or gaining any muscles something is wrong
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you want to exercise 6 days a week, find a proper program which does this, like PPLPPLx (this or this), or PHAT which is 5 day s a week but very intensive, or GZCL (read up on the programs, pick one of the templates, and go for it).

Competing athletes can do two workouts in a single day, but they have coaches who know about their intensity, duration, etc. It is all very planned where recovery is accounted for, and same with maximum weights. I don't think you know enough about programs to create your own yet.

I suggest learning - Read up on Practical Programming for Strength Training to start. In this case, doing things more efficiently/better will yield more results than doing too much. Train SMARTER first.
  • awcforever
    Options
    Just a non-fitness or calorie note - are you drinking enough water? That's a lot of outdoor time and you retain water more when you are dehydrated. I'm drinking way more as it's summer - around 3 litres a day works for me.

You might also need more sleep!

I could use more water for sure, but I don't think I'm too low. I drink probably 3-5 64oz bottles a day
  • LauraGrove1
    LauraGrove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @gc 384

Holy smokes folks! I did 12 minutes of Tabata training tonight and I am dead......I mean just down right exhausted. I ate 2300 calories today and I'm going to give this whole HIIT a chance to see what comes of it. Hands down the most drained I've been in a long time.

On a side note I felt like I deserved my big bowl of chicken fettuccine Alfredo and garlic bread...LOL!

• LauraGrove1
    Options
    Great job. How many sets is that. I know 1 set is 8 rounds 20 sec on 10 sec off. When my partner is in training mode we do supersets which is 64 rounds about 30 min. Just be careful with the over indulgence. My instructor likes to say you can't exercise off a bad diet. It doesn't take long to ruin an entire day's worth of work.
  • LauraGrove1
    Options
    gc384 wrote: »
    @gc 384

30lbs is alot to get down to your fighting weight. My walking around weight was usually around 15lbs over my actual fighting weight class... and it always nearly killed me getting rid of the final 5lbs..

If you have 30lbs to lose then you're MASSIVELY off your competitive fighting weight. In any case I suspect the OP is either not performing high intensity for those hours, or not eating at a calorie deficit. Also the OP is trying to cut weight and you just advised him to increase his calorie intake....

• LauraGrove1
    Options
    you are right. I am trying to get my walking weight down to 155 but right now am at 185 but continuing to drop. I am also a 38 yr old female who has been training less than a year but fell in love with the sport. It was immensely satisfying when my instructor gave me the green light to look for a fight this coming fall. In the amateur side I can fight at a higher weight if I can find an opponent. Still I want to get lower for when I get more serious with it. It is difficult to have the stamina of someone that's 115 pounds when I'm 185 (not impossible as some of my sparring partners have found out). If reality hits my dreams I will be fighting around 145.
  • LauraGrove1
    Options
    you are right. I am trying to get my walking weight down to 155 but right now am at 185 but continuing to drop. I am also a 38 yr old female who has been training less than a year but fell in love with the sport. It was immensely satisfying when my instructor gave me the green light to look for a fight this coming fall. In the amateur side I can fight at a higher weight if I can find an opponent. Still I want to get lower for when I get more serious with it. It is difficult to have the stamina of someone that's 115 pounds when I'm 185 (not impossible as some of my sparring partners have found out). If reality hits my dreams I will be fighting around 145.

• LauraGrove1
    Options
    As for the calorie hike, you can eat too little and your metabolism will drop. It's a wall one of my mma friends has been dealing with because she gets the mindset that calories are her enemy. She was eating 1000-1200 a day. She started losing again when she went up to 1700-2000. You have to eat based on your bmr and your lifestyle. If he is working out at med to high intensity than he needs to eat more. If he is just walking then calories probably isn't the problem.
  • awcforever
    Options
    Great job. How many sets is that. I know 1 set is 8 rounds 20 sec on 10 sec off. When my partner is in training mode we do supersets which is 64 rounds about 30 min. Just be careful with the over indulgence. My instructor likes to say you can't exercise off a bad diet. It doesn't take long to ruin an entire day's worth of work.

I keep good track of my calories I'd say. I dont have a scale, but as an example tonight we had a Food Lion brand thin crust Mexican pizza. The whole pizza is 880 calories so I eat half and feel confident that I'm at around 440 calories for dinner. Noodles are a little more tricky, but the box I used was 8 servings at 200 calories per serving so I split the contents into 4 equal units so I know I'm getting 2 servings. It is guessing to an extent but I consider it close enough to be accurate. I usually have a light buffer of around 200-300 calories by the end of the day so I feel confident it works out. Most of the time my meals are measured out better though simply because it something like turkey dogs or tuna sandwich which is easy to count. It's bulk products that I have to get creative with.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I keep good track of my calories I'd say. I dont have a scale, but as an example tonight we had a Food Lion brand thin crust Mexican pizza. The whole pizza is 880 calories so I eat half and feel confident that I'm at around 440 calories for dinner. Noodles are a little more tricky, but the box I used was 8 servings at 200 calories per serving so I split the contents into 4 equal units so I know I'm getting 2 servings. It is guessing to an extent but I consider it close enough to be accurate. I usually have a light buffer of around 200-300 calories by the end of the day so I feel confident it works out. Most of the time my meals are measured out better though simply because it something like turkey dogs or tuna sandwich which is easy to count. It's bulk products that I have to get creative with.

You should really look into getting a scale. Manufactured products are allowed to be off by a certain margin.

A granola bar may be 125 calories per bar, but the bars may differ in gram weights even if manufactured at the same plant.

If you have a big deficit, it may not matter much right now but once you get closer to goal, it is important to get tight on the logging and weighing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP you're eating more than you think and your fitbit is most likely over estimating your burns.

If my TDEE was truly what my fitbit said, i would have been at my goal weight months ago.
  • awcforever
    Options
    I know my fitbit is an over estimation but as far as my eating goes, I've gotten pretty good at the calorie work. I'd say 60+ lbs later Ive don't pretty good, I believe the lack of food and intensity of my exercise were over looked a little by myself.

Ill catch back up with you guys after the weekend and that'll give me a few days on the new diet and exercise program.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I know my fitbit is an over estimation but as far as my eating goes, I've gotten pretty good at the calorie work. I'd say 60+ lbs later Ive don't pretty good, I believe the lack of food and intensity of my exercise were over looked a little by myself.

Ill catch back up with you guys after the weekend and that'll give me a few days on the new diet and exercise program.

True, cant argue with that :+1::)

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes, way overkill on the exercise. We're about the same height, I started at 250 and lost consistently lost at 2250 with little exercise; 2 to 3 hours of lifting per week and a lightly active job.

Definitely check your intake, sounds like you're estimating. Weigh what you eat, you may be surprised. And stop killing yourself and give your body time to recover.
  • awcforever
    Options
    Okay guys and gals......its been a week or so and I'm happy to say I've busted through the plateau. Anyone looking for a good workout I highly recommend researching Dr. Tabata and the so called "tabata" workouts. Absolutely incredible. I've cut my workouts into a 1/4 of what I was doing and my current intake is around 2400 calories. I'm down to 237.5lbs and I have to say HIIT is the future. My nightly workout time is 8 minutes.......thats two cycles. One 4 minute cardio and one 4 minute upper body / lower body interval. It's awesome! Definitely not good for anyone with no exercise experience.....its killer! Good luck everyone and thanks so much for all of the great advice. If I can remember I'll throw another update on there in a week with more results.