Has anyone had sinus surgery before?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I am having sinus surgery on Friday. I am worried about how long it'll be before I can exercise again. Any tips? Also, what should I expect as far as what I can eat the first few days? I want to make sure I have the foods I might need. My doc didn't really give me any info (yet). Thanks!

Replies

• TurtleCrush
    Options
    I had alot of sinus infections which was caused by inflammed tonsils and soon after had my tonsilectomy. It took me about 2 months for recovery of that. Hope you feel better soon :)
    Big hugs,
    Rebekah
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!

I read online that it might take 1-3 weeks to exercise again, but I haven't gotten any directives from my doc yet.
  • mhairi_e_mckenzie
    Options
    Hi,

I had sinus surgery and the biggest issue I had was not being allowed outside for 2 weeks for risk of infection ! However, I don't see why you couldn't do some weights or toning exercise as I felt less drowsy after a couple of days anyway...

Your breathing is quite fragile for a few weeks so I would hold off on heavy cardio for the first month and ease yourself back in :)

Hope this helps!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    When I had mine done in 09, I had an active job where I had to lift and carry and bend (with weight) a lot. My doc said no lifting over 10 pounds the first week, no bending below the waist for 3 weeks, and no cardio for 3 weeks. No lifting over 25 pounds for 6 weeks. My surgery got a bit more complicated than they thought it would. Feel free to message me if you have questions.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i have no idea but heres a bump for you. Sinus surgery sounds horrible.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

I am not going to lie....it hurt like a SOB for the first week! Being able to actually use my nose for breathing, and to not have sinus infection after infection was sooooo worth it! No more "head colds" that turn into pnumonia, no more sinus issues, no more "allergy" issues, and no more snoring!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My nephew had the kind of sinus surgery where they go up into your sinuses with a balloon and open up the sinuses and also suck them out. I don't know if that is the kind of surgery you are having or not. He had some drainage and had to take it easy for about a week. He bounced back very quickly and didn't even bruise. I do know, however, that adults don't bounce back as fast as children. I would imagine you won't be able to do anything strenuous for a week or two. You can still do things that are not going to jolt your sinuses...like walking. I hope all goes well with you!:flowerforyou:
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am not really looking forward to recovery, but I am looking forward to feeling better overall. My sinuses have caused me to not feel well quite often, so I definitely haven't exercised as much as I would have liked to since 2009. I also tend to overindulge when I don't feel well, so that didn't help with my plateau at all. I can only get better from here! :wink:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options

I am not going to lie....it hurt like a SOB for the first week! Being able to actually use my nose for breathing, and to not have sinus infection after infection was sooooo worth it! No more "head colds" that turn into pnumonia, no more sinus issues, no more "allergy" issues, and no more snoring!
    i could only imagine!