Options
2»

Replies

• Lorraine7486
    Lorraine7486 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Best thing I have done is seriously reduced my sugar intake. That helps shift the pounds.

Seriously reducing sugar intake means seriously reducing calories which helps shift the pounds

There is nothing in sugar that stops pounds being shifted if calories are in check ...although as it is generally combined with fats and carbs into calorie dense highly palatable foods it can result in higher intake than planned or allowed for on a weight loss diet

For me even when I reduce my calories without being practically sugar free it just doesn't work. I guess different things work for different people. Sugar free helps me sleep better and gives me so much more energy. In turn that helps me exercise more and not eat out of sheer tiredness and boredom.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    start measuring and logging, eat less exercise more. You know what to do, the same steps it took you to get to maintenance. Maintaining is harder than losing I always found.

ditto, just get started! you know it works.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lost my job in June and I did a lot of walking maybe 5,000 to 10,000 steps a day so now I'm not walking like I use to and I'm still on the diet but I'm home all the time with my grandson I eat healthy but it's the sugar I crave.

If you are "on the diet" and you gained 9 pounds, you are not "still on the diet"..

But you are at home now full time? 1) you have more time to walk even more now 2) have opportunity to play with your grandson 3) you can choose to not eat things that keep you out of your deficit.
  • Pennyacress4
    Pennyacress4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Spend more time outside with your grand child, hide the sugar. Try apples when you want sugar. Also if you get extra calories for exercise don't use them because you are not burning a lot of calories.
  • jeffkirkwold
    jeffkirkwold Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Now I'm not saying all you "East Less, Move More" people are wrong...But I have dropped 47lbs in the last 15 weeks with no exercise. I'm 47, was at 370 and determined to find a way of eating that allowed me to be satisfied while restricting calories. Weight Watchers was hard to maintain but I loved how the points system allowed me to eat sugar if I wanted to spend my calories that way. But it only led to binge for more refined carbs.

I'm doing a low carb/high fat program now. The research is compelling and my evidence of consistent weight loss plus the fact I'm still sticking to it is more than enough for me. I'm certainly not suggesting this is for everyone...but it is working for me. Also, I have added in Intermittent Fasting. I only eat one meal a day and it's all my calories in an hour or two in the evening. I can't tell you how satisfying that is, for me. I don't get hungry during the day as my fat is 60-70% of my diet. I still cheat every other weekend with whatever I want and however much I want. I keep my carbs (from veggies) around 7-15%. I'm a recovering sugar-a-holic and love pastries but this way of eating has crushed my desire for sweets.

I like exercise and believe it is part of a 'fit' life. But I am becoming a believer that it is unnecessary to lose weight. Kill the refined carbs, limit fruit, pump up 'some' healthy mineral rich veggies and load up the fat!

Yeah, track your calories. I do. Seems alternating 1450 on my low days works and 1900 on my high calorie days. Seems to be the sweet spot for me and my frame. But the FAT, that makes this way of eating soooooo livable and calming for me. I hope you will look into it. 3000-5500 steps a day.