Anyone with Sleep Apnea?

Options

Replies

• mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    All very interesting and informative comments! Appreciate everyones response and has kind of help calm my mind. Maybe anxiety is my issue with the breathing haha.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    If you get the machine and as a result get to REM sleep for the first time in a while you may experience some very vivid and weird dreams. Your body is just catching up. That part will settle down after a few days or in my case a couple of weeks.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Good to know. Hopefully I dont even have it! WIll get the results in a couple weeks when I check with my ENT doctor.
  • friendlygirl316
    friendlygirl316 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes I have sleep apnea
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have very bad sleep apnea and no treatment. the CPAP doesnt work on me , becuase the back pressure totaly closes my throught off. one doc suggested surgury to cut out my entire throut. Ive read the success rate isnt good with that, besides Ive also got central apnea which means my brain doesnt tell my body to breathe so none of that stuff would work anyway short of a ventalator. I am only slightly above my BMI so weight is not an issue, I am just deformed and neurologicaly damaged I guess. I hate it. sometimes I wake up my oxegen is so low I can barely move and struggle to take a breath. I have constant nightmares of sufficating in differnt ways and wake up to find it is realy happening from my own body. soemtmes I wiwsh I just wouldnt wake up at all instead of live this way. I have serveal chronic illness, dont know how much this contributes but I am constantly extremely exausted. it make exersize and weight loss almost impossible, but Im still trying.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have sleep apnea, and during my sleep study, they determined I was waking up almost 100 times a night. Not so much snoring, according to my husband, but DEFINITELY stopped breathing. I was falling asleep while talking to people, while at work, and a couple of harrowing times, when I was driving. Next stop, sleep study.

I've had my APAP for about 3 years now (mine adjusts over the course of the night as I need it to), and after ONE night on it, oh my gods... the fog cleared from my brain, I felt 10 years younger, it was AMAZING.

Because I have a deviated septum and can normally only breathe well through one side of my nose, I have the full "jet fighter pilot" mask. I thought at first, "there's no way I'll be able to sleep with this." WRONG. I adjusted in one night. I have a longer hose (allowing me to turn over without worrying I'll yank the thing off my nightstand), I use these light cotton mask liners to keep my masks from sliding everywhere, and I even pair it with aromatherapy. (I have these little communion-wafer-looking things that I put a couple drops of essential oil on, then put that in front of the intake filter.) My brain now associates that scent with sleep, so I put on my mask, turn on the APAP, smell that scent, and bang, I'm out in 15 minutes. I also have a foam wedge pillow that I use to prop my upper body when I sleep.

The pressure on my APAP starts at 14 and goes as high as 20 (the max) to accommodate me not being able to normally breathe through the right side of my nose. (They started me at 10-14 and the data showed I was getting my best sleep at 14, so they kept upping it. Took us about 3-4 weeks to get it right, and been on the 14/20 ever since.) And because I often breathe through my mouth when I sleep (again, joy of deviated septum), I use the humidifier and keep the temperature nice and cold.

FYI, I'm a 42 year old female, and about 110 lbs overweight. I'm sure that as more of the weight comes off, my need for the APAP will decrease, but for now, it is SO, SO worth it. I use mine every night religiously, and even when I nap.
  • torch_and_hammer
    torch_and_hammer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just over 5 years ago, my blood pressure was high- 180s/100s. I also had headaches that wouldn't resolve. My doc had a hunch about sleep apnea, and it turned out that it was, indeed, my problem. I am overweight, not a snorer, but I was so very tired all of the time. Once I started using the machine, within days, the headache was gone. I began to feel rested and my BP is usually at the high end of normal. I hate sleeping without my machine. I never feel rested and wake up feeling as if I had pulled an all nighter if I don't sleep with it. Now, if I can just get off my butt and lose weight, maybe I can get off the BP meds. ;-)
  • mhlew
    Options
    I do not have high BP, no headaches that really stand out, but am overweight, and heard I snore from roommate. I dont hop out of bed like they do in TV commercials but am kind of tired when waking up, but once I shower and get dressed I feel normal. Or maybe I dont know what normal feels like? haha. Kind of anxious to get my results from the sleep study, and hope I dont have it. I am glad to hear mostly positive feedback about the CPAP though. Kind of comforting that either way my results I can get some relief. Im in the same boat on weight loss with u, always working on it!
  • mhlew
    Options
    Today my doctor called me with the results of my sleep study and was told i have moderate sleep apnea. My mind was in a daze with the news and I cant remember if he said I stop breathing during my sleep 25 x per night or 25 x per hour, nonetheless he said I was considered a moderate case of sleep apnea.

He suggested I get a auto CPAP machine that I should be getting in the next couple weeks. Now I have a million questions for him- but hope this helps me out, and maybe help me with my weight loss if I have truly not getting a good nights sleep for years.

Anyone ever diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and used auto cpap? what can i expect. Now if I can only get a good nights sleep now knowing i stop breathing between now and 2 weeks til i get my CPAP :/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    Today my doctor called me with the results of my sleep study and was told i have moderate sleep apnea. My mind was in a daze with the news and I cant remember if he said I stop breathing during my sleep 25 x per night or 25 x per hour, nonetheless he said I was considered a moderate case of sleep apnea.

He suggested I get a auto CPAP machine that I should be getting in the next couple weeks. Now I have a million questions for him- but hope this helps me out, and maybe help me with my weight loss if I have truly not getting a good nights sleep for years.

Anyone ever diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and used auto cpap? what can i expect. Now if I can only get a good nights sleep now knowing i stop breathing between now and 2 weeks til i get my CPAP :/

Yeah, the wait for my cpap was tough. I was convinced I was going to die in my sleep and my daughter would be the one to find me because my husband worked overnight at the time. I slept in a recliner because I knew my mouth would stay open due to gravity so I'd be able to breathe. Probably sounds crazy but I was extremely freaked out. I think I mentioned my AHI was 87, meaning I stopped breathing or breathed shallowly for 10+ seconds 87 times an hour. I can never pass up a math problem and realized that meant I was only breathing normally 45 minutes per hour.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with severe sleep apnea 2 years ago. Been on CPAP ever since (FAA required the exam and treatment as a condition of continuing to keep my aeromedical certificate and fly a plane).

CPAP use has made a world of difference in my life. Now 6 hours and I am well rested. I love my CPAP machine!

How I wish this were found/treated 40 years ago. I basically lived my life sleep deprived - even though I would get 12 hours each night.
  • mhlew
    Options
    I am pretty sure he said mine was 25 x per hour. Still not happy with that number but sounds like that is A LOT less then other stories I have been reading online of people who have had successful CPAP treatment and even overcame sleep apnea with weight loss.
  • Sloth2016
    Options
    I am pretty sure he said mine was 25 x per hour. Still not happy with that number but sounds like that is A LOT less then other stories I have been reading online of people who have had successful CPAP treatment and even overcame sleep apnea with weight loss.

For comparison, lying on my back, I experienced 55 apnea events per hour and 40 apnea events per hour when lying on my side. With CPAP machine, I am under 5 events per hour and it is frequently under 1 event per hour.

The world is a very different place when you are able to sleep...
  • mhlew
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

For comparison, lying on my back, I experienced 55 apnea events per hour and 40 apnea events per hour when lying on my side. With CPAP machine, I am under 5 events per hour and it is frequently under 1 event per hour.

I am happy to hear you had great success. Trying to have a positive attitude about it and embrace the treatment and hope for the same results.

Just hope my insurance will cover some of the cost of the machine, I have no clue how much they cost for the auto cpap my doctor is ordering!
  • Sloth2016
    edited July 2016
    Options

I am happy to hear you had great success. Trying to have a positive attitude about it and embrace the treatment and hope for the same results.

Just hope my insurance will cover some of the cost of the machine, I have no clue how much they cost for the auto cpap my doctor is ordering!

Depends on the make/model and features. ResmedTM is a top of the line machine. Phillips RespironicsTM is a quality machine, too, and a little less expensive. Insurance covers almost all of the costs - the reduction in chances of a cardiac event if you are under treatment is well worth the price of the machine to the insurer. Not even counting the reduction in chances of getting into an accident driving while fatigued, etc.

Humidifier is a great option - I would place it in the necessity category since it makes using the machine much easier on the sinuses.

Heated hose is another nice option worth getting.

I have the ResmedTM AirSense 10 and I am very happy with it. Its portable enough to take in on trips, can be easily carried on an airplane and is completely self contained. Includes a heated humidifier and has auto sense. Also has integrated wifi to store your data into the cloud automatically without extra steps. Most important, it is silent.

You can get an idea of the costs of purchasing this stuff here: www.cpap.com (I am not affiliated with the site in any way) and there are other vendors.

Best wishes for your health!
  • mhlew
    Options

Depends on the make/model and features. ResmedTM is a top of the line machine. Phillips RespironicsTM is a quality machine, too, and a little less expensive. Insurance covers almost all of the costs - the reduction in chances of a cardiac event if you are under treatment is well worth the price of the machine to the insurer. Not even counting the reduction in chances of getting into an accident driving while fatigued, etc.

Humidifier is a great option - I would place it in the necessity category since it makes using the machine much easier on the sinuses.

Heated hose is another nice option worth getting.

I have the ResmedTM AirSense 10 and I am very happy with it. Its portable enough to take in on trips, can be easily carried on an airplane and is completely self contained. Includes a heated humidifier and has auto sense. Also has integrated wifi to store your data into the cloud automatically without extra steps. Most important, it is silent.

You can get an idea of the costs of purchasing this stuff here: www.cpap.com (I am not affiliated with the site in any way) and there are other vendors.

Best wishes for your health!

Thanks Sloth, that is some good info. I will look into that model as well, not sure which my doctor had already ordered me though. Just know its an auto CPAP. This is all new to me so I will have to do some research.

Being on CPAP- will this eliminate snoring or can you still snore while on it?
  • Malaky1990
    Malaky1990 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CPAP or BiPAP is the ultimate life changing solution .. many patients of ours have really improved after prescribing a home CPAP/BiPAP after a full sleep study Dx with Sleep Apnea

Changing the eating habits and excercise lifestyle can also plays a huge role
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I have found it impossible to snore using the CPAP. I've used one since 2001. I've worn out two of them and am on my third. It saved my life.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    LOVE my CPAP!! Before being diagnosed with sleep apnea (stopped breathing in my sleep), I was always tired. I put my CPAP on and I sleep like a baby. Our accountant passed away from sleep apnea - didn't use his CPAP. Now I can't sleep without it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to stop breathing in the night. That's not the risk with SA. The risks are far less visible. It's extremely taxing on your heart to have these "events" all night, every night. If I don't use my CPAP, I will stop breathing, but the body will kick into gear at some point and gasp for a breath.

Do your reading, ask your questions. It's a serious issue and I'm shocked at the number of people I hear of who refused to try a CPAP. Not much different than smokers, I suppose.

FWIW- I have the Philipps Respironics and I love it. Humidifier, heater, long hose... it's all great. It will take getting used to, but your body will adapt. That's the great thing about our bodies, they're resilient.