whey vs casein

Options
So I have been drinking whey protein drinks for about 2 weeks and I am coming to the end of my 1st bottle. I was talking to a co-worker and they say they drink casein drinks instead. Normally I mix 1 scoop of my whey powder into 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk or chocolate almond milk. Whats the difference between whey and casein? whats better? is there a better? my goal is to lose another 15ish lbs. and i do the whey b/c i struggle to get my protein intake. let me know your thoughts!!

Replies

• TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I started using the Whey protein recently too and had a really helpful girl at GNC answer some questions for me. She suggested the Whey for me since I was drinking it post workout. She said the Casein was a slow digesting protein and was usually best used if taken before bed. If I remember correctly it was to allow you body to rebuild muscle while you sleep.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Whey pre/post exercise, it is fast digesting and works quicker.

Casein can be at night time or even during the day when you want a slower release.

Both are good if used correctly, the actual quality of protein is more important
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I use a tri-protein blend of casein, whey and egg. I figured if they all have their benefits, why not get a mix.
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    Muscle milk !!
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Check out this article I found it very helpful :D
    http://www.silverhydra.com/2011/04/a-primer-on-protein-powders/

Whey is good for your workouts and casein is good over a long duration (sleep, workday etc).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Whey in the morning, before workouts

Casein and whey blend post workout

Casein before bed

It's all to do with delivery speed. If you're going to buy just one, hell even if you're only going to have one supplement, make it whey protein.
    Alternatives to casein for before bed are milk, fat free cottage cheese or greek yoghurt. These can be further slowed by taking a fat like a tbs of flaxseed oil with them