Change in body odor, suggestions?

Options
Wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is. So I started with mfp in March. Prior to joining I was a 150-155 pound slightly overweight group fit instructor, so definitely active. I was eating pretty much the right things, just not in the right proportions (okay, and maybe a little more frequently fitting an unnecessary dessert in there and a couple of extra fries). So, I'm 128 and my body odor has taken on a more onion-y scent (not pleasant . . . not that bo is ever pleasant, but really onions?), and it’s not because of mass consumption of either onion or garlic (thought about that already). My last batch of onions actually went bad in the drawer of my fridge. Any ideas?

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    First of all: congrats on being so close to your goal! Woohoo!

OK ... How about stress? You have a lot on your plate with being a mom and having full-time job and teaching classes and goodness knows what else you do. Stress BO has a distinctly sour aroma ... Maybe note when it's more pronounced and see if there's a difference?
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    hormones? I've had a change in odor once before and doc said it was hormones.. thank God that went away. Heres something I found though... http://www.hyperhidrosisweb.com/causes-of-body-odor.html
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hum, hadn't thought of stress. When I started I was unemployed from my regular job, so I upped my exercise a good deal. As of 6/1 I've returned to my full time job and have been readjusting to that. It has been a pretty stressful year in my house . . .
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was concerned for you. So I did a google search. Here are some answers and the website where I found them.

1. Dietary imbalances which results in constipation or a deficiency of zinc or magnesium are other causes of body odor. Foods like garlic, onion, spicy foods, coffee and alcohol are also important causes. http://www.skincarebeautyzone.com/health-beauty/reasons-which-make-your-body-odor-unpleasant-and-uncomfortable/

2. Too much swating and reducing http://coral-cure.com/causes-of-sweating-but-stop-sweating-onion-body-odor/

3. Your sweat shouldn't smell http://health.infoniac.com/top_amazing_facts_about_your_body_odor.html

Hope these help. Sorry not more informative. But it seems you are not alone!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get a little funky when i start eating lots of protein. Especially when I consume venison.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    In general, because of the glands that produce sweat, women have a more oniony scent to their sweat. It doesn't have to only be onions or garlic either, there are a lot of foods that will transfer to those glands some enhancing smells, many of them are the more pungent types of veggies and spices, so if you've altered your eating habits then that's most likely the cause. Of course if you are producing more sweat, that could also be a cause as well.

A third thing could be your sense of smell. If you've become more healthy your sinuses could be detecting scents better, have you noticed any other increases in your ability to smell things?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    In general, because of the glands that produce sweat, women have a more oniony scent to their sweat. It doesn't have to only be onions or garlic either, there are a lot of foods that will transfer to those glands some enhancing smells, many of them are the more pungent types of veggies and spices, so if you've altered your eating habits then that's most likely the cause. Of course if you are producing more sweat, that could also be a cause as well.

A third thing could be your sense of smell. If you've become more healthy your sinuses could be detecting scents better, have you noticed any other increases in your ability to smell things?

I asked both my mom and my husband and they both agree that it's my scent, not my nose (my first thought was, "is it just me or do i smell different?!?" I was hoping it was just me). I was thinking about it and really trying to figure out if I added anything, and I really can't think of anything. I'm using the same seasonings, the veg I'm consuming is seasonal so that could be some of it, but it's mostly zuchinni and squash, I'm actually eating less meat (trying to stick to 4 oz instead of a whole chicken breast, etc). hum
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...you have a 20-month old at home, is that right? I have 2 boys, and when my youngest was about a year old, my body chemistry seemed to change completely -- I had a different scent EVERYWHERE, and it wasn't cool. My cycle also changed a great deal.

After dealing with it for a while and trying everything I could think of, I got a new doctor who checked my thyroid levels because of some other issues I was having w/fatigue.. She was the first doc to check 3 different compound levels with my thyroid test (I can't remember their official/medical names). My former doc was only doing the most basic, common thyroid level test, and that 1 level kept reading "normal." But underactive thyroid runs in our family, and it always measures consistantly on the low end of normal. Mine was low in all 3 levels.

I started meds about a year ago, and it's made the biggest difference in everything -- even my scent. :}

Can't hurt to get it thoroughly checked, especially since your body's been going through a lot of change over the past couple years (having a baby, getting in shape, going back to work, etc.)

Good luck!!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Years ago, the deoderant I had been using for years just failed for me. I switched to a different kind and it's been fine ever since. Don't know why it happened, but the solution was pretty simple.
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking any vitamins/supplements? I've known those to change body odor.