Diet Pepsi replacement....on my grocery store shelf

Options

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Tea will have zero calories if unsweetened, and Pure Leaf sells multi serve bottles of unsweetened teas. I'm sure there are other brands. You could add a small amount of a non-artificial sweetener such as stevia to it. If you are willing to take a very small amount of effort, you can make a jug of a tea you like, sweetening it to your taste (again, use stevia or similar for 0 calories), and then chilling it in the fridge. This is much cheaper than buying it pre-brewed.

Drinking diet soda will not make you balloon up and then die a horrible death. However, I do believe in moderation, and if you're drinking a 2L every day (you didn't say how frequently you're buying them, so maybe this doesn't apply), it's probably not so good. For instance, it's not good for your teeth, regardless of how you feel about aspartame or other sweeteners.

If you are only against aspartame, diet Pepsi has switched to sucralose.

0 calories, sweetened, large servings, and no effort is quite a restrictive list. You might consider training yourself to enjoy milder flavours than soda, and eventually plain water.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    The issue is I'm told the chemicals in it and artificial sweetners trick your body and you can still gain weight....and you'll get diseases and die a horrible death. Anything in a 2 liter size or equivalent?

I drink Diet Pepsi, Diet Shasta, Diet Coke, etc and I've lost 94 lbs so far. It isn't tricking me into anything and I have zero diseases that are leading to a horrible death.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    PaperPudding, I'm not trolling....I had a dietician tell me those things.....thanks so much for understanding....that's sarcasm in case you didn't catch it. I love my diet soda but I keep getting told it's bad for me. I was going to switch to PowerAde Zero, I'm told it's bad. The bottled teas on the store shelf (like Arizona) has aspartame and I'm told it's bad. Anything that is natural (juices/teas) on the shelf are 120 calories per serving. When you go to the store for years and you grab a 2 liter bottle of diet soda off the shelf and you want to replace that, you ask for information and help from people in a location who have more knowledge and have maybe gone through the same thing.
    How can something that has no calories (energy) cause weight gain? There's nothing that can 'trick' the body into gaining weight (it's not scientifically possible), as the only way to gain weight is with a calorie surplus. I find it odd that a registered dietitian would even say that.

I don't get the 'logic', here. I drink 0 cal all the time and am losing weight just fine, and am not dead. *shrug*
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I drink diet GENERIC soda and havent died yet. I have lost close to 100lbs so I guess I am smarter than the cola, as I havent been tricked into (or out of) anything. Have a diet pepsi for crying out loud.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Regular soda is better for you than diet soda lol
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Citations?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I drink Fresca when I want something fizzy.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Citations?

While I'm not sure if regular soda is any better for you than diet soda (I wouldn't think soda is good for you, but as long as it's not all you eat and drink, it's probably fine), the idea that diet soda is somehow worse comes from a study at Purdue University.

Citation: a press release about the study
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, you can probably drink your diet soda, so long as you don't get into the thinking that, "This is diet, so I can drink a whole 3-liter bottle in one sitting if I want to do that." or "I'll drink a diet soda, because that somehow makes the huge cheeseburger have less calories."
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »

Citations?

While I'm not sure if regular soda is any better for you than diet soda (I wouldn't think soda is good for you, but as long as it's not all you eat and drink, it's probably fine), the idea that diet soda is somehow worse comes from a study at Purdue University.

Citation: a press release about the study

And skimming over that article my personal results go against pretty much every finding they list. I'm 43 and I don't have any signs of heart disease. Not only do I not have high blood pressure, but it runs low. I almost never have cravings for sweets and on the rare occasion it's never after a diet soda. Oh, and as of this morning I've lost 95 pounds in 53 weeks so it sure as heck hasn't interfered with my weight loss. I'll keep my diet soda, thanks anyway.
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to spend some time at the store reading labels. It may take a while, but then you'll know for future trips.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    PaperPudding, I'm not trolling....I had a dietician tell me those things.....thanks so much for understanding....that's sarcasm in case you didn't catch it. I love my diet soda but I keep getting told it's bad for me. I was going to switch to PowerAde Zero, I'm told it's bad. The bottled teas on the store shelf (like Arizona) has aspartame and I'm told it's bad. Anything that is natural (juices/teas) on the shelf are 120 calories per serving. When you go to the store for years and you grab a 2 liter bottle of diet soda off the shelf and you want to replace that, you ask for information and help from people in a location who have more knowledge and have maybe gone through the same thing.

LaCroix sparkling water. No 2 Liters....but sold in 12 oz cans.

Ingredients: carbonated water, natural flavor

Another unsweetened brand to try is Klarbrunn.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Unless there's a glitch or something, looks like the OP disappeared. Profile says "page not found". There were plenty of options given so no idea why the disappearing act happened, but I'm in the camp that believes there's nothing wrong with diet soda. I drink a can or maybe less daily. I have no health issues or mysterious weight gain.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    make some iced tea - add fruit for more flavor, or mint... and a small bit of sugar or sweet 'n low
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have lost 33 lbs drinking a daily Diet Pepsi. Has not killed me yet and I've been drinking it for 30+ years.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Unless there's a glitch or something, looks like the OP disappeared. Profile says "page not found". There were plenty of options given so no idea why the disappearing act happened, but I'm in the camp that believes there's nothing wrong with diet soda. I drink a can or maybe less daily. I have no health issues or mysterious weight gain.

I think it was someone just screwing around with nothing better to do:|. Whenever people come in asking questions like that (the wording), the way all the suggestions were immediately shot down and the obnoxious use of punctuation, I always assume that and just ignore them.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like Clear American Ice drinks from Walmart. They're zero or five calories per can, depending on the flavor.

Diet Pepsi will NOT make you gain weight. If you don't feel any ill effects from it, drink up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water/seltzer are awesome!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Darn. It had just occurred to me suggest that he drink that huge cup of coffee he's lugging around in his pic.