Female issues reflecting weight loss?

Options
In March I was maintaining my weight and very happy. I've been getting my period every 14-16 days and have been to a Gyno to discuss this. I was previously maintaining on 2300-2500 a day, but decreased to 2000-2250 with added exercise when the period stuff happened. Since March I've gained 6 lbs and I am FREAKING out. What could be the cause? My bloodwork came back fine and my sonogram on my uterus came back with some fluid in the cervical canal, but not enough to cause concern. They think it may be something with my estrogen/progesterone level and put me on 100mg Progesterone which I also heard can cause weight gain :( I'm just beside myself. My stomach looks 9 months pregnant 24/7 as well.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In less than a heartbeat I would call the insurance company and ask to get a second opinion. Doctors can miss things. I had fibroids and looked huge. I blame all the alcohol I was drinking.
    * Your daily calories are high. Are you overweight now?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What kind of progesterone? I take Prometrium, a natural and bioidentical hormone, and do not associate it with weight gain. The sonogram didn't show fibroids? These can make you look pregnant. Being overweight can do this as well - what's your height and weight?

I once went to help a woman push her stalled car in the parking lot and she looked at me, horrified, and said, "But you're pregnant!" I replied, "No, just fat." And threw that shirt away when I got home, and shortly thereafter discovered MFP.

Also, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • littlelightofmine000
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What kind of progesterone? I take Prometrium, a natural and bioidentical hormone, and do not associate it with weight gain. The sonogram didn't show fibroids? These can make you look pregnant. Being overweight can do this as well - what's your height and weight?

I once went to help a woman push her stalled car in the parking lot and she looked at me, horrified, and said, "But you're pregnant!" I replied, "No, just fat." And threw that shirt away when I got home, and shortly thereafter discovered MFP.

Also, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

its actually prometrium as well! 100mg. Have you been able to loose on it? They didn't say anything about fibroids either.
    I actually weigh out my food so there is no mistake there!
  • sexyspecsyJoJo
    sexyspecsyJoJo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In March I was maintaining my weight and very happy. I've been getting my period every 14-16 days and have been to a Gyno to discuss this. I was previously maintaining on 2300-2500 a day, but decreased to 2000-2250 with added exercise when the period stuff happened. Since March I've gained 6 lbs and I am FREAKING out. What could be the cause? My bloodwork came back fine and my sonogram on my uterus came back with some fluid in the cervical canal, but not enough to cause concern. They think it may be something with my estrogen/progesterone level and put me on 100mg Progesterone which I also heard can cause weight gain :( I'm just beside myself. My stomach looks 9 months pregnant 24/7 as well.
    I have the same problem, I'm being checked for endometriosis, maybe you should speak to doctor and suggest that ☺️
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I was on prometrium and Estrogel for the last year and I've lost 83 lbs. This should not affect your weight loss. However, I also would suggest a 2nd opinion because you still have symptoms. Although, you could wait and see if the prometrium makes a difference.

Doctors often have to rule things out and still make their "best guess" based on your symptoms. Sometimes they're wrong. If you feel you aren't getting better / relief, then definitely see another doctor.
  • aimesuk
    aimesuk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you had your ovaries checked? My mum had an enormous fibroid - it was the size of a grapefruit - removed along with a hysterectomy when she was around 45. Made a huge difference.

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    aimesuk wrote: »
    Have you had your ovaries checked? My mum had an enormous fibroid - it was the size of a grapefruit - removed along with a hysterectomy when she was around 45. Made a huge difference.

I second getting ovaries checked (if not already) I had a huge ovarian cyst which made me look about 6 months pregnant, it messed up my periods and I weighed about 6lbs less after they removed it.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

its actually prometrium as well! 100mg. Have you been able to loose on it? They didn't say anything about fibroids either.
    I actually weigh out my food so there is no mistake there!

Yes, down 40 pounds since I started using MFP and 50 from my highest weight :)
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    aimesuk wrote: »

I second getting ovaries checked (if not already) I had a huge ovarian cyst which made me look about 6 months pregnant, it messed up my periods and I weighed about 6lbs less after they removed it.

Ya, I've been wondering how much my 20 week fibroids weigh. However, I don't see how any competent medical practitioner could possibly miss fibroids or cysts big enough to cause a 9 month pregnancy looking stomach. My medical practitioners have been expressing surprise during physical exams for quite some time. They got called 'impressive' last time, which was a nice way to frame it :D
  • hibbertamie58
    hibbertamie58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Constantly bloated. I have period issues here. I have endometriosis and pcos. I've gained a lot of weight recently. 3.5stone!!!! I've had the mirena coil in for 6 months and am even bigger now with water retention. I bought water tablets today in hope it will help me. Because in six weeks of sticking religiously to Slimming World I only lost 3lb.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The last time I got my period that often was the last birth control pill I was on. Yaz I believe. Stopped taking it and my period went back to normal, better than having 3 in one month.
  • littlelightofmine000
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Wouldn't fibroids show up on a sonogram? When they did my sonogram they stated everything was normal, just a bit of fluid in the cervical canal. They do wanna test me for endometriosis because it runs in my family!
  • littlelightofmine000
    Options
    I was on prometrium and Estrogel for the last year and I've lost 83 lbs. This should not affect your weight loss. However, I also would suggest a 2nd opinion because you still have symptoms. Although, you could wait and see if the prometrium makes a difference.

Doctors often have to rule things out and still make their "best guess" based on your symptoms. Sometimes they're wrong. If you feel you aren't getting better / relief, then definitely see another doctor.

What dosage are you on?