Anyone with Sleep Apnea?

Options
13»

Replies

• mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I look at is as not having a choice to accept the treatment, and if you use cpap you essentially will not have sleep apnea. So I am anxious to get mine in what im guessing is a couple weeks. just kind of scary now that I know I have this condition for a fact and need to sleep for 2 weeks until i get my cpap
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Regarding snoring, CPAP greatly reduced/eliminated my snoring. I used to wake myself up. Now only once or twice have I caught myself snoring. I suspect the majority of people do not snore at all - I am a notorious "mouth breather" and wear a chin strap at night to keep my mouth from falling open and snoring. (A full face CPAP mask is the other alternative and I sometimes use one)

@mhlew you will be fine - once you acclimate to the machine you will see a world of positive difference. :)
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    looks like i will be on the CPAP train soon. i don't think my levels were as bad. they said I desat more than 70 times and my oxygen dropped to 79% at one point. i had the test done due to my insanely loud snoring that has worsened over the past few years
  • Sloth2016
    Options
    @mojo75 Would that be 70 times per hour? Or per night? Typically, Apneas are measured per hour - AH. An AH of 70 per hour would be high- you are waking up more than once per minute. In other words, you do not really ever sleep. (My AH was 55 range - considered severe obstructive sleep apnea). The CPAP machine has been a "godsend" for me.

Best wishes for improving health!
    -s
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    CPAP helps me sleep at night however, it can get pretty uncomfortable at times. I'm hoping after i drop this weight i won't need it anymore
  • cynnara1
    cynnara1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been on the auto CPAP for 7 years and as someone who once worked in cardiology, I wouldn't live without mine. It's a lifesaver. Since on it I rarely stop breathing unless I'm sick or stopped up. As I lose weight, I'll be able to have my lower and upper pressures adjusted. The stress, especially since my left heart valve is enlarged, helps me to feel more secure.

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    My AH was over 80!!!

I love my CPAP.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    OP: I have been using a CPAP for about 15 years now and I would recommend that you ask your doctor to get you into an overnight study at a clinic. This way you have trained technicians observing the sleep cycle and it's a more complete diagnosis. In phase 2 of my study, when I slept overnight with the machine in the clinic, I felt so amazingly different and better the next morning, I was ready to jog home, and take the machine with me!

My GF was recently diagnosed also and the quality of her sleep and her energy levels have improved so dramatically in the last 4 months, she can hardly believe it.

Losing the weight can help, but I read a study that found that the majority of people who regularly use a CPAP continue to do so even after they lose the weight. I have lost almost 60 pounds since my all-time high of 323 in 2010, and I am headed for the 180-200 range, but I don't see myself giving up the machine...it has improved the quality of my sleep so drastically I think I'll stay with it!

Good luck to you!
  • MissSeven
    MissSeven Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I used to have it but don't anymore since I've lost over 20% of my body weight. When I did the study, they said I stopped breathing 55 times an hour! I used the CPAP and noticed a huge difference in my energy levels throughout the day. I used to feel tired all the time no matter how long I slept. After using the CPAP, I felt a big difference right away. Good luck.

What is CPAP? @Bxqtie116
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My husband has a CPAP and it's helped him a lot (and it makes it less painful for me to sleep next to him.. most of the time).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    MissSeven wrote: »
    I used to have it but don't anymore since I've lost over 20% of my body weight. When I did the study, they said I stopped breathing 55 times an hour! I used the CPAP and noticed a huge difference in my energy levels throughout the day. I used to feel tired all the time no matter how long I slept. After using the CPAP, I felt a big difference right away. Good luck.

What is CPAP? @Bxqtie116

Continuous positive airway pressure device.
  • Sloth2016
    Options
    MissSeven wrote: »

What is CPAP? @Bxqtie116

Here is a fairly good animation:
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cpap