Lose weight just by strength training??

Options

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    To this day I don't know what pilates is supposed to do for you other than aggravate your neck because it's always needing to be held up while you're lying on the floor.

Have you ever tried a pilates reformer class? Even after a few years of lifting heavy weights, it kicked my butt. However, mat pilates only really works my abs, not enough resistance on arms or legs if you have been lifting weights.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    To this day I don't know what pilates is supposed to do for you other than aggravate your neck because it's always needing to be held up while you're lying on the floor.

Have you ever tried a pilates reformer class? Even after a few years of lifting heavy weights, it kicked my butt. However, mat pilates only really works my abs, not enough resistance on arms or legs if you have been lifting weights.

lol no. Does it involve not being down on the floor? I hate that. If I'm going to lie down it better be to help me relax.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    Cardio doesn't have to be running. Walking is fine!

You can do it with just strength training
    But you need to do it with high intensity to work.

But strength and cardio is the best. Even if your Cardio just walking 20min

ah i usually walk to work so i guess i already got that in lol

and ive had some pretty intense pilates sessions so i guess thats good too

Thanks!

As others have said, the calories in have to be less than the calories out so if you are already doing these activities and maintaining your weight that means you are unlikely to lose weight if you just continue doing what you are doing, and maybe just adding more. At most you'll burn a few extra hundred calories a week and you need a deficit of about 3500 extra calories to lose 1 lb. Using this app to enter your food, using a scale to measure everything, is going to be the best activity you can add to help you achieve the goal of losing weight.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Not on the floor, you are using one of the pilates reformer machines.

8voalai8mkoe.jpeg

jcrqtkwjo1df.jpeg

You can increase or decrease resistance, and my instructor increased mine a lot since I had been lifting weights. I paid for 10 sessions to try it out, but it was so expensive so now just stick with lifting. However, my sister does it 2-3 times a week as her only strength training and gained muscle.
  • arditarose
    Options
    @dmt4641 We have one of those at my gym. I don't want to go there lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

giggity :)

edited to add: I am not into being inverted in any way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Only if you're doing it wrong.
  • arditarose
    Options

Only if you're doing it wrong.

k thanks.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can lose weight with or without exercise of any kind. Weight loss is about calories in versus calories out : Get that right and you'll lose weight.

Not exactly... you can only lose weight if you eat less. Exercising MORE does not burn more calories, unfortunately. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a great way to build muscle mass and it's good for your overall health. When you do Pilates, you learn how to support your body from the core and to truly understand movement, which means you can engage in any physical activity with less of a chance for injury (or increased recovery time if you do get injured). Burning calories during exercise is a misunderstood phenomenon. There is an upper limit to how many calories you can burn per day, when you hit that limit, your body compensates by limiting other metabolic functions, including your immune response. The most effective weight loss program is one that includes both dietary caloric restriction, a limited amount of low impact cardio, and some form of strength training to increase lean body mass. If you want to increase your BMR, you need more body mass. You can either be fat or be muscular to do that.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    You can lose weight with or without exercise of any kind. Weight loss is about calories in versus calories out : Get that right and you'll lose weight.

Not exactly... you can only lose weight if you eat less. Exercising MORE does not burn more calories, unfortunately. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

I think you just agreed with that person - you basically said the same thing, with different wording.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight just through strength training. Strength training produces an aerobic effect post-exercise [it's not as strong as an effect than with cardio though] that lasts for several hours as the body rushes to start the repair process. It will be a bit slower than cardio, but the loss is still there.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight just by doing like an hour of full body strength training a day like pilates for example? Or do you have to add cardio too? LOL I'm not much of a runner so I cant really stick to it but love Pilates! :)

The CDC recommends 150 minutes per week of exercise to maintain a healthy body and body weight, and more than that if you are not at a good fitness level and body weight. They also recommend a well balanced healthy diet.

cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

CICO is a made up word that you will only find on this forum, the same as all the little sayings like "weight loss only happens in the kitchen", and... "you cant out run a bad diet".

Sure you can lose weight with diet alone, but you will be on a diet for the rest of your life.

Sure you can exercise your butt off and eat like a glutton, and gain weight.

If you get to and maintain a good fitness level, and eat a healthy well balanced diet, a healthy body weight will happen all by itself.

The CDC site is a great source of information IMO.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

That is EXACTLY what I said?!?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Is that why I lost 57 lbs. in 52 weeks by exercising and learning how to eat a little smarter?

People must do both and both are equally important.

If you get to and maintain a good fitness level, and eat a healthy well balanced diet, a healthy body weight will happen all by itself.

for every one of those links, I can find at least one that says the opposite. But it is a good excuse for people that are too lazy to exercise to justify it.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm really saddened by the number of people who still think that something magical happens in the gym which can't just as easily happen in the park, on the beach, or when volunteering for other people.
    Eat less calories to lose weight. Get active to tone the body. (But for goodness sake do something more useful than pay others to strap you to a table of weights)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    I'm really saddened by the number of people who still think that something magical happens in the gym which can't just as easily happen in the park, on the beach, or when volunteering for other people.
    Eat less calories to lose weight. Get active to tone the body. (But for goodness sake do something more useful than pay others to strap you to a table of weights)

What may be useful to others may not be useful to you. Everyone has different goals.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »

So we shouldn't do something we enjoy because it doesn't benefit another person or group directly? Or isn't in a place that you deem acceptable? That's one depressing life if I'm not allowed to do something for myself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight just by doing like an hour of full body strength training a day like pilates for example? Or do you have to add cardio too? LOL I'm not much of a runner so I cant really stick to it but love Pilates! :)

I haven't run since I got out of the military and no one could make me run any more. I've still lost 40 pounds with MFP and 50 from my heaviest. I get cardio from activities I like - walking, hiking, gardening, swimming, and yoga. Cardio is important for your cardiovascular system.

Strength training is important for many reasons as well. Also, see this thread and note that in the picture on the right, where she looks her best, she is almost 20 pounds heavier from the middle picture:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10435227/body-recomposition-pic-scale-weight-doesnt-matter#latest

Bodycomposition_zpsm5a62vpd.jpg

Also checkout The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess which was available through my library system, so perhaps yours as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You lose weight when you consume less energy (calories) than you expend regardless of this exercise or that exercise. I'm in maintenance...I exercise a lot...I ride 80-100 miles on average and lift a few days per week and do some swimming...I maintain because I eat to maintenance...if exercise was for losing weight then why would I be maintaining?