Lose weight just by strength training??

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    I'm really saddened by the number of people who still think that something magical happens in the gym which can't just as easily happen in the park, on the beach, or when volunteering for other people.
    Eat less calories to lose weight. Get active to tone the body. (But for goodness sake do something more useful than pay others to strap you to a table of weights)

My mother was and is extremely active outside the gym, but her doctor told her to start strength training to improve her bone health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9927006

...research indicates that resistance training may have a more profound site specific effect than aerobic exercise.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    To this day I don't know what pilates is supposed to do for you other than aggravate your neck because it's always needing to be held up while you're lying on the floor.

LOL, its for this reason I gave up pilates. I fully agree with you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I'm really saddened by the number of people who still think that something magical happens in the gym which can't just as easily happen in the park, on the beach, or when volunteering for other people.
    Eat less calories to lose weight. Get active to tone the body. (But for goodness sake do something more useful than pay others to strap you to a table of weights)

i used to think that exercising can only happen in the gym until i found resources on the internet which were great but.
    There is a limit to how much i push myself when i work out at home.
    There is a limit to my space at home, and the amount of equipment i can buy
    so if people love it why not?
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

The gym has what I need, different kind of weights, barbells and the cage.
  • xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    To this day I don't know what pilates is supposed to do for you other than aggravate your neck because it's always needing to be held up while you're lying on the floor.

hahah thats true but after awhile your body gets used to it cause your using more of your ab strength and not putting so much strain on your neck, and it works on arms and legs too, i love how toned im getting from it i just gotta lose the fat now lol
  • xMiracat
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    Pilates is a great way to build muscle mass and it's good for your overall health. When you do Pilates, you learn how to support your body from the core and to truly understand movement, which means you can engage in any physical activity with less of a chance for injury (or increased recovery time if you do get injured). Burning calories during exercise is a misunderstood phenomenon. There is an upper limit to how many calories you can burn per day, when you hit that limit, your body compensates by limiting other metabolic functions, including your immune response. The most effective weight loss program is one that includes both dietary caloric restriction, a limited amount of low impact cardio, and some form of strength training to increase lean body mass. If you want to increase your BMR, you need more body mass. You can either be fat or be muscular to do that.

so the more muscles i build the more calories im burning right?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    Pilates is a great way to build muscle mass and it's good for your overall health. When you do Pilates, you learn how to support your body from the core and to truly understand movement, which means you can engage in any physical activity with less of a chance for injury (or increased recovery time if you do get injured). Burning calories during exercise is a misunderstood phenomenon. There is an upper limit to how many calories you can burn per day, when you hit that limit, your body compensates by limiting other metabolic functions, including your immune response. The most effective weight loss program is one that includes both dietary caloric restriction, a limited amount of low impact cardio, and some form of strength training to increase lean body mass. If you want to increase your BMR, you need more body mass. You can either be fat or be muscular to do that.

so the more muscles i build the more calories im burning right?

Not as much as you think. Not to mention, you are not really building muscle with Pilates. You might be strengthening them, but building muscle requires a surplus, or at the very least, maintenance and a progressive weight lifting program. So that point is irrelevant in your case. The above poster is unfortunately stating some misinformation among some good information. If an individual has fat to burn, the body does not click and say it's done burning fat and switch to other forms. It pulls from all simultaneously, which is why many of us advocate for lifting programs to preserve this muscle mass.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with or without exercise of any kind. Weight loss is about calories in versus calories out : Get that right and you'll lose weight.

Not exactly... you can only lose weight if you eat less. Exercising MORE does not burn more calories, unfortunately. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

Really? How do you explain then, that I lost over 50 lbs just by walking and not changing my diet at all? I've managed to maintain that 50 or so lb weightloss for several years. Obviously, exercise burns calories and if you are burning enough, you will go into a deficit if your diet doesn't change.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Most of the stuff that I see happening at the gym, couldn't happen in the park, on the beach, or when volunteering, and yes, it is MAGIC ;)
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    tammmers83 wrote: »
    *kitten* cardio.... Strength trtraining is way more effective

really? how is that? lol never heard anyone say that before haha

^^The person that called pilates "kitten cardio" has clearly never actually done it. Nothing "kitten" about it.
    Keep doing what you enjoy.
    The strength and flexibility that'll you'll gain? Priceless and will (in my personal opinion) serve you better in the long run of life.

Kudos to having something you enjoy! :)
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Eveyone that said calories in vs. calories out, listen to them.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CICO. Yep...agreed.
    angpowers wrote: »

^^The person that called pilates "kitten cardio" has clearly never actually done it. Nothing "kitten" about it.
    The strength and flexibility that'll you'll gain? Priceless and will (in my personal opinion) serve you better in the long run of life.

Actually, it was more on the lines of 'F cardio!'. 'Kitten' is one of the words the forum filter replaces certain curse words. They didn't actually call pilates 'kitten cardio', whatever that means...: :lol:@angpowers
  • xMiracat
    Options
    angpowers wrote: »

thanks!! :) haha you're right its not easy after an hour of pilates im drenched in sweat but i love it! :)
  • xMiracat
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Can you lose weight just by doing like an hour of full body strength training a day like pilates for example? Or do you have to add cardio too? LOL I'm not much of a runner so I cant really stick to it but love Pilates! :)

I haven't run since I got out of the military and no one could make me run any more. I've still lost 40 pounds with MFP and 50 from my heaviest. I get cardio from activities I like - walking, hiking, gardening, swimming, and yoga. Cardio is important for your cardiovascular system.

Strength training is important for many reasons as well. Also, see this thread and note that in the picture on the right, where she looks her best, she is almost 20 pounds heavier from the middle picture:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10435227/body-recomposition-pic-scale-weight-doesnt-matter#latest

Bodycomposition_zpsm5a62vpd.jpg

Also checkout The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess which was available through my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

that will explain why my weight on the scale isnt going down but thats ok as long as im strong and toned!!