High Blood Pressure - got to get it down!

Options
Anyone else here have high blood pressure? Mines been super high since I had my second child a year ago, and I went back to the doctors yesterday to have a checkup and it's still bad. They want to put me on medication to lower it, but I've asked for some time because I'm changing my lifestyle, so she's given me 3 months and then I'm going back for another checkup to see how I'm getting on.

Before it was just losing weight, but now I've got high BP and other health risks I've got to make a change.

Looking for support and motivation so feel free to add me or let me know if you want to be added!

Sophie

Replies

• Gemmi73
    Gemmi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Sophie.
    I have HBP and I've been on medication for awhile. My BP wasn't the best even on medication so the doc changed it and it's gotten better. However, I've also cut out a lot of drinking. That seems to be the most significant change.
  • SophieGetsStrong
    SophieGetsStrong Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hiya. Thanks for replying. I don't drink hardly at all (very occasionally at special occasions) so it wouldn't be that. I genuinely think it's my weight and lack of exercise that's the problem. So just giving it time.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been on meds for about 2 years now. To be quite honest, I have gone periods of time where I forgot to take it; and, like Gemmi, mine was not great even when I did. I am going back to the Dr in about 4 months to be evaluated again. I have noticed, though, that since I have started consuming more home-cooked meals, my BP has been pretty spot on even though still medicated. I am hoping that with some weight loss and continued exercise, I can get off the meds.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As for me, even on meds my blood pressure had spiked to 142/97. But after just 3 weeks of eating healthy and exercising, it dropped to 110/79. That was several weeks ago, so I hope it's still good. Best wishes to you!
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Working out makes a huge difference in mine. I was 160/105 very often... then if i increase my potassium intake in relation to sodium makes a big difference.

if i have 1000mg of sodium then get 2000 mg of potassium..the 2 to 1 ratio seems to keep me at 120/80 or below without meds.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    For me the solution has been dropping the weight and exercising consistently. When I first started this journey, I was on a major dose of bp meds (like the 40mg pill) and now, 50lbs lighter and exercising daily I am down to a 10mg pill. I figure that once I get the weight down to where I really want it to be, I should be able to kick the pill entirely.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure returned to normal ranges once I lost thirty pounds. However I promised my health care provider I would continue testing my BP weekly.

Your BP may be rising for reasons other than lifestyle, like kidney problems.

Medication is not so scary. Side effects from high BP is much worse. It's not called the "silent killer" for nothing.

One lifestyle change other than losing weight you can work on is your salt intake.
  • SophieGetsStrong
    SophieGetsStrong Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding, sharing your stories and advice! I'm going to keep going and maybe try some other changes that have been said and see how I go.
  • LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was able to get off all BP medicine after losing 20 pounds, what a great feeling! It can work for you too, eat healthier and exercise and you will get there!

P.S. And my only exercise is walking! :)
  • SliverBulletsUK
    SliverBulletsUK Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Working out would honestly be the best thing for you. That would have the biggest and most profound impact (also combined with your diet) .

If your not very active, don't build it up into something bigger than it is.

Start off by walking small amounts and gradually increase, as your fitness improves you will be travelling further, feeling better and improving your health.

Good luck
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I suddenly developed high blood pressure after losing weight and exercising for a few years. Dietary changes, supplements, nothing helped. I was young, no risk factors or family history. A real mystery. Going on medication may have saved my life, but I was very resistant at first. Good luck to you!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I suddenly developed high blood pressure after losing weight and exercising for a few years. Dietary changes, supplements, nothing helped. I was young, no risk factors or family history. A real mystery. Going on medication may have saved my life, but I was very resistant at first. Good luck to you!

I am in the same boat. My BP was getting high. Dr told me to lose ten pounds. My BP started to come back to normal.

Now, I have lost 99 pounds, my BP is high and for the first time in my life, I am on meds. Grrrr.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake. Push more water, gallon a day. Exercise regularly start with small goals vs mountains. I don't know your fitness level but (ex:) if walking a block gets you huffen and puffen. Do two half blocks a few times a day. Then work your way up. Small goals that are obtainable. Hopefully that helps.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was just told I have high BP. I was given a prescription but am nervous about taking it. I am an avid cyclist but recently have an injury. So the injury is preventing me from cycling my usual 100 mile a week. Its also possible that the pain increases my BP too. This post was very interesting.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My BP has always been low. When I was pregnant (15 months ago), I was pretty high with an average of 140/82. I haven't checked it since I gave birth in May 2015. Yesterday I went to the doctor and was told that my BP is 152/97!!! Oh my goodness! I'm so scared and want to make a change as my father-in-law just died from heart disease. I looked up the DASH diet... but I think I am just going to focus on eating more fruits and veggies and watching my sodium intake. Having an infant at home makes it hard to get to the gym... but I can walk on breaks at work and focus on my diet. I need to lose a good 50 lbs. too, to get to a healthy weight. :(
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    I was just told I have high BP. I was given a prescription but am nervous about taking it. I am an avid cyclist but recently have an injury. So the injury is preventing me from cycling my usual 100 mile a week. Its also possible that the pain increases my BP too. This post was very interesting.

Can you swim? I've heard that's good for people with injuries.

I've had normal to low BP all my life, recently had it checked, and was diagnosed with (forgot the word) just before you have high BP. Exercise for a month (treadmill 2x a day) and losing 12 pounds have brought it back to normal.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i don't have HBP…but the sodium thing you should pay attention to. were i you.... I'd lose weight, exercise..and start making everything from scratch and lower your sodium drastically. I was on a diet once called the six week body makeover.. and there was NO processed foods or condiments allowed. I made everything from scratch..used lime, vinegars, herbs, and wine to flavor my soups..stews.. food. It was amazing how I dropped weight. I truly think salt keeps us fat. I think I dropped my sodium intake to under 500 a day. My plan is to get back to making most of my food without sodium …it is a big problem that most don't know about.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Looks like the OP may have closed her account.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great thread though.