He honked at me and I instantly fell in love...

Options

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Ha! I only kind of recently started running without headphones, and the first few times I was out, it honestly didn't even occur to me that they were honking at me. I just thought there were a lot of cranky drivers on the road.

I did eventually put two and two together. And it's annoying, but I ignore it. By the time I look up, they're gone, so there's no point in the death stare or the middle finger.
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I must look pretty scary when I'm running, because this doesn't happen to me. I do blast my music and get lost in my own little world though.
  • shelbyzoe91
    shelbyzoe91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find it super annoying! I'm not one to let things slide if they bother me, so I usually tell them to *kitten* off....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have never been honked but I have been gawked at by the driver just looking and looking and veering more and more into the lane I am running and then bam, they swerve back.. they are in more danger of hurting them selves than I am.

I get a good laugh unless I actually have to head toward the ditch which that happened one morning and scarily they turned around to apologize.. I do live in the south and a bit out of the city, so normally folks are pretty nice..
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Men like to watch women. Duh.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me at all unless they stop, or follow me.

It didn't bother me until I got followed a couple of times. Now I feel like a honk is an indication I need to be on my guard, and I really hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. I run with my husband as often as possible so I'm not out alone, and I don't run in the dark, ever. If it happens, I ignore it - I don't want to antagonize or anyone or "encourage" more interaction by flipping them off.

It's wise to be on your guard anyway. The people, and possibly animals, you should watch out for probably aren't going to announce themselves by honking. That's why I never wear headphones out in public. I don't go out alone except in daylight and well traveled areas, unless I really need to, and I carry protection. However, I'm not afraid, just prepared.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    OP, in a few years this will happen to you less and less. Chin up! :+1:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So, I see women out jogging with earbuds, one in each ear. I think, music and podcast makes the miles go faster. But, then I think, maybe it is like the gym. Maybe they wear the headphones because they really do not like getting bothered.
    But, isn't that worse, really? Isn't it dangerous not to be able to hear, especially on a bike path or early in the morning when no one is around?
    It is tough, I think.
    I am glad my wife likes to run with other people and so rarely goes out alone.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Happened today. Makes me jump but I'm not really bothered by it! Unless they are shouting crude stuff then its bothersome
  • fredgonzini
    fredgonzini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ... Said no woman ever.

Seriously though, what is it that compels men to honk at women as they are jogging?

It's not encouraging (although it does help me run faster just to get off the road and back to the safety of my apartment) and it's distracting. If you're honking at me, it better be because my life is in danger because of something you can see that I can't, not because you've decided my puffy, red face and sweat-stained shirt are somehow a turn on.

Ladies, how do you deal with this during your exercise?

(For the record, I usually wear capri-length leggings and a t-shirt when I run, so I am fully covered.)

Ha haha
    I am a guy. Sporty girl look so good. I would never honk my horn. I would probably stare and run my car into a tree.
    But anyways as a 49 year old male I often see girls working out and wonder if I told them they were looking good if they would be pissed or take it as a compliment. In your opinion if you see a person working out improving yourself should you say something the opposite sex or just leave them be.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There was one time I was running and some guy that I know from my university pulled over and yelled "Do you need a ride?" I stopped and yelled back "You're *kitten* stupid" and kept on running. I think he was serious though. Like he saw me outside, running in active wear, and legit thought I needed a ride. But he always got on my nerves anyway, so I don't feel bad about my response to him :tongue:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen often to me, and hasn't in a while. I've been kinda hoping for a honk lately cause I figure I'll just start flipping them the bird, lol.

However, a week or 2 ago I was running at a park near me with a biking/walking/jogging path around a big lake. There was a guy riding a bike with a GoPro on his helmet (helmet was only sitting on his head, not buckled, I was tempted to try to knock it off, lol) doing laps of the lake, and he very obviously, and for the entire time he was passing me in the other direction, stared at me with his GoPro. I was seriously tempted to stick a branch in his tire spokes. It's a whole other level of creeper status when you're using a camera.

In happier news, I love the purely positive motivational shouts! Was running in a steady rain, with my baseball cap and rain jacket on, absolutely dripping, and some guy gave me a big thumbs up, a smile, and yelled, "awesome dedication!" Totally brought a smile to my face.

On your last point: I have had some experiences where other runners have offered a high five as we're passing each other. That is pretty cool.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I was 100lbs over weight had learning to jog I had a few young people honk, and one redneck truck actually threw a soda can at me. It didn't make me feel good, I'd never honk at a woman good looking or not. Like said above though a high five from another runner or words of encouragement as you go by each other are great.

I also tend to scare people either walking, or running as I pass them, I say on your left or something similar and it makes them jump, just like it does when it happens to me, so now I tend to just try and cough loudly or run around them in the street if possible.

Ladies you can honk or cat call me if you want, it would be nice to be the subject of objectification at least once in life lol.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I know..I mean..here I am out minding my own hot business..looking all tight and all..and women..honking at me all the time..

I'm like Ladies..please..can't you see I'm workin it here????

Seriously, life is too short to get annoyed about things like this..just my opinion..there's plenty of *kitten*..to annoy me on a daily basis...

Don't sweat the small stuff..and it's all small stuff..
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's all inappropriate. No one should be commenting/honking/whatever at people they don't know in public unless either there's an imminent risk of death, disfigurement, or dismemberment like a small asteroid you spot heading directly for their coordinates or they openly solicit it. And for the record, simply existing in the public space is not solicitation. Personally, I find it mind-boggling anyone finds catcalling complimentary.

Sure, "duh, men will be men". But the men I know also have self-control and are not huge external anal sphincters to other people out on the street, regardless of gender/sex. None of them engage in this kind of low-rent harassing behavior.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This why i stopped walking around the streets, I got sick of dealing with rude, obnoxious sleaze bags who think women were put on this earth solely for their ogling pleasure :mad:
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Most the time, I assume honking is just crazy drivers, or I just don't think about it. BUT I always put my one earbud in the ear facing the street so they can assume I can't hear them. Leave the other one out for safety. For the hollerers, I'm working on perfecting my polite, but dismissive nod. Small enough to discourage interaction, but enough acknowledgement for any entitled ones with anger-management/ego issues.

There was one time a caravan of huge dump trucks was going through town and one of them pulled over honking. I was honestly worried the driver had a heart attack/stroke/seizure or something because he was gesturing kinda frantically and was blocking part of the street and the bike lane. But when I climbed onto the side to peer into the window, all he did was ask me out! Instantly flattered-appalled.