SI joint pain, help!

Options
I've been experiencing right side lower back, buttocks and leg pain for 2 weeks now. All down to my calf. Dr says it's my SI joint. I'm on a steroid, pain med and a muscle relaxer but no relief. I rate it an 8

Replies

• nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. It will go, at least that is what my consultant said to me. But it took about 3 months, mostly spent in bed. Ouch!
    I found the most helpful was a chiropractor, and an individual pilates teacher. Now that the pain has now eased, I find I still need to see the chiropractor every month, and I do pilates classes every week. Losing weight has also helped.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have SI joint problems but I keep it at bay with Pilates and stretching. When mine flares up the muscles around my hips back and glutes tense up. Acupuncture usually sorts out the muscle tightness almost instantly. Would recommend.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hadd tons of SI pain from a car accident a few years back- chiro definately helped and gave me some stretches to help keep it loose. Ended up having a steroid injection to help with pain and inflammation so I could do exercises to get it straightened out. Highly recommend chiro to get started.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not sure if SI means sciatica inflamation or not but, I have been experiencing sciatica problems since beginning of July. I am sure it was because I placed myself in a position I do not normally go into. I had problems sitting and bending, the pain would be on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, an 11 or 12. I had to go to an MD that claims it is a muscle spasm pushing up against the nerve. He gave me mild pain relievers that absolutely did no good. Was able to get to a chiropractor, which told me I am out of alignment and that is what is causing pain. A chiropractor did minor adjustments and told me to ICE the area. Every hour for 20 mins. I did so and got some relief. The MD still says its muscle and will go away by itself. However, I am taking 2 aleve every 12 hours, I do the ICE therapy and, I do minor stretching. I have
    better mobility but it is coming back a little at a time. Good luck with your SI (whatever that is)
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My husband got relief through chiropractic treatment and doctor prescribed stretches/exercises. Meds alone are probably not enough especially if you are doing something in your daily life that is continually aggravating it (doc should be able to help you pinpoint that).
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    SI joint =sacro illiac joint. Somr drs say they do not cause problems1 i think they are wrong.
  • kizanne1
    kizanne1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ditto on chiropractic and yoga stretches.
  • TswvNplooj
    TswvNplooj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ty I will try to get to a chiropractor asap
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    a massage therapist could help also
  • TswvNplooj
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    Well, I am not sure if SI means sciatica inflamation or not but, I have been experiencing sciatica problems since beginning of July. I am sure it was because I placed myself in a position I do not normally go into. I had problems sitting and bending, the pain would be on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, an 11 or 12. I had to go to an MD that claims it is a muscle spasm pushing up against the nerve. He gave me mild pain relievers that absolutely did no good. Was able to get to a chiropractor, which told me I am out of alignment and that is what is causing pain. A chiropractor did minor adjustments and told me to ICE the area. Every hour for 20 mins. I did so and got some relief. The MD still says its muscle and will go away by itself. However, I am taking 2 aleve every 12 hours, I do the ICE therapy and, I do minor stretching. I have
    better mobility but it is coming back a little at a time. Good luck with your SI (whatever that is)

My doctor says it's muscle too. Pain meds does nothing for me. I did x-ray and found nothing wrong. Dr is clueless.
  • TswvNplooj
    Options
    I hadd tons of SI pain from a car accident a few years back- chiro definately helped and gave me some stretches to help keep it loose. Ended up having a steroid injection to help with pain and inflammation so I could do exercises to get it straightened out. Highly recommend chiro to get started.

Does injection help?
  • TswvNplooj
    Options
    joanna_82 wrote: »
    I have SI joint problems but I keep it at bay with Pilates and stretching. When mine flares up the muscles around my hips back and glutes tense up. Acupuncture usually sorts out the muscle tightness almost instantly. Would recommend.

Does it hurt? I'm terrified if needles.
  • TswvNplooj
    Options
    nutty192 wrote: »
    I feel for you. It will go, at least that is what my consultant said to me. But it took about 3 months, mostly spent in bed. Ouch!
    I found the most helpful was a chiropractor, and an individual pilates teacher. Now that the pain has now eased, I find I still need to see the chiropractor every month, and I do pilates classes every week. Losing weight has also helped.

Were u on any meds?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Heating pad, stretching, massage therapy, and a good chiro
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    GaoleeYaj wrote: »
    Ty I will try to get to a chiropractor asap

If the chiro doesn't give you home exercises and just wants to do adjustments forever. Run.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    GaoleeYaj wrote: »

Does injection help?

It definately helped but wasn't a solution - it just bought me time with lessened inflammation to strengthen the areas around the SI joint to support it better. Chiro over all helped more. Other thing chiro might suggest is an SI belt- it stabilizes the joint while you exercise and strengthen it. It's a nasty little area once things get inflamed and wouldn't show on X-ray as its mostly soft tissue.
    Good luck and hope it feels better soon
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    After doing a double SI joint separation last year, and prior to that dealing with instability for years, my physio diagnosed me with an underlying lower crossed syndrome. Addressing that has gotten me stronger and more stable than I ever have been in my life. No signs of muscle imbalance no instability. Life is good.
  • ievent
    ievent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would try ice for the first day or two, on/off for 20 minutes. I would then switch to warm compresses/moist heat. Important to keep moving despite the pain, otherwise you will stiffen up even more. Maybe look into getting a foam roller to help roll out your quads, hamstrings, and hip flexors? Gentle stretching and time will help relieve the pain. Most importantly, if it hurts doing any of the above, stop!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I had SI joint problems from a car accident too. Chiropractor helped, PT after made it worse (wish I hadn't gone, I felt so good before pt), then the chiropractor didn't help after whatever it is PT did to me, then I had a few injections that helped for a few months each time. Then I started losing weight, exercising and stretching, it's gotten much better since I started that! I was in pain for a year and a half. I get a teenie flare up every so often but it's barely anything.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I had SI joint problems from a car accident too. Chiropractor helped, PT after made it worse (wish I hadn't gone, I felt so good before pt), then the chiropractor didn't help after whatever it is PT did to me, then I had a few injections that helped for a few months each time. Then I started losing weight, exercising and stretching, it's gotten much better since I started that! I was in pain for a year and a half. I get a teenie flare up every so often but it's barely anything.

It probably has a lot to do with the individual PT. I had a great one with my neck injury, but she was on maternity leave when it flared again. The other guy didn't help at all, but at least didn't make it worse.