Some help needed here :(

Options
So I've gain some weight in the past months and I want to start losing it but I kinda don't know if I want to go on a diet or just eat healthy... I am trying to limit meat consuption so I am going for a vegetarian lifestyle. I am just trying to figure it out if I want to count calories, go on a diet or just try to eat healthy because I don't really have a limit when it comes to eating and it is really hard.
So if anyone here has any advices, eating plan or something like this, please let me know. I would really like to have some help here :(

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Count calories.

Is there a reason you're not eating meat?
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Dieting is a short term effect whereas counting calories is something you can do for a lifetime. Dieting restricts what you can eat but you can still enjoy your favorite foods by logging what you eat and seeing if you'll have enough left over for treats. You don't really need to change WHAT you eat, just control your portion sizes. Weigh everything and log it. It's as simple as that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Dieting to me means a using a method or appropriate tools to achieve weight loss. Moving to vegetarian is a personal choice, but you still need to eat at a deficit no matter what you eat.

You have to make a personal decision to use MFP app/food scale to count calories, or move away from this tool to your own method.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn. You don't have to do any particular diet - all diets work by reducing your calorie intake, but differs in what they ALLOW you to eat - so you can and should decide for yourself what you want to eat, just eat less. To make sure you really are eating less - but no too little, because that's no good either - counting calories is virtually fool-proof. Set a good calorie goal - choose a weekly goal to the closest possible to 1% of your total body weight. Then weigh everything you eat in grams, on an electronic food scale, check entries for errors (or create your own), log everything, no cheating, no forgetting. Aim to hit your calorie goal (+/- 50) every day.

There isn't really any conflict between losing weight and eating healthily. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less than you are used to, and that could make you hungry, unless you pay attention to what you eat, and get in good nutrition. Nutrient dense foods are a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, eggs and dairy, whole grains, fats including butter, nuts and seeds. When you have covered your nutritional needs, fill up your calories with whatever you want. You don't need anybody else's eating plan. Create your own.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Count calories.

I'm sure the OP has made a completely arbitrary choice with no reason what-so-ever.... :|

Seriously though, OP, all diets are based on consuming less calories than you burn. This is the only way you can lose weight. The difference between counting calories vs. following a diet is that the guy who made the diet counted the calories for you and told you what to eat. I'd much rather make my own choices.
    Eating healthy won't help you lose weight. Healthy is a subjective term too. You can eat healthy, whatever that means, and still gain weight.
  • anaam27
    anaam27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I guess I will start counting calories again and maybe I will see some results :)
  • anaam27
    Options
    Count calories.

I feel better when I am not eating that much meat :) it's better for my body if I don't eat eggs drink cow milk or eat a large amout of meat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Count calories.

I'm sure the OP has made a completely arbitrary choice with no reason what-so-ever.... :|

Seriously though, OP, all diets are based on consuming less calories than you burn. This is the only way you can lose weight. The difference between counting calories vs. following a diet is that the guy who made the diet counted the calories for you and told you what to eat. I'd much rather make my own choices.
    Eating healthy won't help you lose weight. Healthy is a subjective term too. You can eat healthy, whatever that means, and still gain weight.

A lot of people cut out meat 'to lose weight' which isn't a logical reason in any way, that's why I asked.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    anaam27 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone, I guess I will start counting calories again and maybe I will see some results :)

You won't "maybe see some results". If you have weight to lose, and eat at a sustained calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Count calories.

I feel better when I am not eating that much meat :) it's better for my body if I don't eat eggs drink cow milk or eat a large amout of meat
    There seems to be a 'deny yourself everything' craze out there at the moment. I'm surprised you haven't added wheat to the danger list.
    I'd be mindful of where food comes from, how it's reared or grown, how many chemicals or hormones its subjected to. But none of the foods you list are likely to do you anything but good.
    Why do you think your body doesn't need some of life's basic nutrition?
    Eggs are a fantastic source of protein and vitamins. Milk is a 'complete' food, providing an excellent balance of protein, carbs, fat and nutrients.
    If you don't like a particular food - cut it out - but be very careful not to restrict your diet so much that you end up eating a poor nutritional mix and doing permanent damage to your body and your mind.
  • anaam27
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Count calories.

There seems to be a 'deny yourself everything' craze out there at the moment. I'm surprised you haven't added wheat to the danger list.
    I'd be mindful of where food comes from, how it's reared or grown, how many chemicals or hormones its subjected to. But none of the foods you list are likely to do you anything but good.
    Why do you think your body doesn't need some of life's basic nutrition?
    Eggs are a fantastic source of protein and vitamins. Milk is a 'complete' food, providing an excellent balance of protein, carbs, fat and nutrients.
    If you don't like a particular food - cut it out - but be very careful not to restrict your diet so much that you end up eating a poor nutritional mix and doing permanent damage to your body and your mind.

I don't want ro be rude or something so I will not write very much about this but I don't agree with you:) I simply don't and maybe I have other believes. I know how I and my stomach feel when I eat those tipe of foods so I simply prefer to avoid them as much as I can.
    I just stated this because I was looking for some help and if anyone here decided to gave me a plan I just wanted to let them know what I ate or I don't