Stalling and Getting Discouraged...

Options
I have been using MFP since January and since then, I have lost about 33 pounds. Up until about three weeks ago, everything was working wonderfully... then I stalled. This all occured right around the same time that MFP reduced my calories due to the 10 lb. weight loss mark. Prior to that, I was averaging a loss of about 1 pound per week... with some weeks where I would gain a pound back and work hard to get it back off the next.

When the stall began, I started swimming. I swim laps for about 30 minutes a day... at first this was working then that stalled... I tried swimming more laps within the same time frame... I have a large pool and I am swimming about 32 laps(1 lap = to and fro) a day in 30 minutes. Now, I have bought a pedometer and started to also walk about 2 miles a day... I can feel the burn in my hips and legs... however, no freakin' weight loss. In fact, I have gained 1.5 lbs. back! According to MFP, I am burning about 800 calories a day... increasing my calorie intake to 2540 per day... I CAN'T EAT THIS MUCH FREAKIN' FOOD! It makes me feel too full, tired and sick. I have been zig zaggin my calories to try to motivate my metabolism so I have been eating between 1300 - 1800 calories per day. (without exercise MFP suggests I eat 1740)

WTH AM I DOING WRONG! If it is absolutely imperative that I eat my exercise calories... does anyone have any suggestions on how I can increase without feeling like vomitting by the end of the day?

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle gain... Do your thighs and shoulders feel any firmer or thicker? That could be why the scale isn't going down. You're burning fat but adding muscle. The scale's just the b!tch. :wink:
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a HRM to see what you're actually burning calorie-wise. If you're using the database, it's quite possible you're giving yourself too many calories back.
  • Dattard
    Dattard Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow. Good for you!

My diet excludes all natural sugars, and starches and it worked to get me out of my last stall/slump. So no corn, carrots, sweet/sugary fruits.

This helped to get me over my last slump. Now I am in another one, so I am looking forward to feedback to your comment to find ideas to get me over this one!

-Dawn
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    stick with your basic calorie count. The calories you lose while exercising should not be eaten. That is how you lose your weight. I have 1520 cal per day, on non exercise days I try to keep under those caloreis. When I exercise I try not to eat too many of the exercise calories. It's the calories left over per day that make count towrd your weight loss.
  • Garfy
    Garfy Posts: 41
    Options
    Have you been measuring yourself?

Don't always go on just weight alone, do your clothes feel looser etc?
  • ChezInProgress
    Options
    Maybe, you're exercising too much and not eating enough of your calories back? You could always change your calorie goal back up to where it was previous to the ten pound loss. MFP suggests certain calories for every milestone in weight loss..but if the calorie goal you had previously was productive and working...I wouldn't think it'd hurt to go back.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a HRM to see what you're actually burning calorie-wise. If you're using the database, it's quite possible you're giving yourself too many calories back.

I agree!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1600 cals per day, and I don't bother eating back my exercise calories. However, if I go over a smidge (100 cals or so) and I've exercised, I don't sweat it. I try to get as close as possible to the 1600 cals per day though... I don't even think about trying to do 1200'ish.

Now about the cals that MFP tells you that you've burned doing an exercise.... DON'T BELIEVE THAT NUMBER!! It's an estimate, and I've found that the numbers are WAY off!!! You MUST use a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) with a chest telemetry strap to get a reasonable idea of what you've burned. This may be what's messing you up. Here's a perfect example. As of today, I weigh 293. I rode my bike to work at an average speed of 10-12 mph. It took me 42 minutes. MFP said I burned about 870 calories. Too bad my heart rate monitor gave me the more accurate reading of 506. That's an extra 364 calories that I didn't actually earn. That's HUGE!!!

If you get a water resistant heart rate monitor, you can even wear it swimming.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i have gained within the last week or so. i was down to 208 and now up to 211. however, i am also lifting weights and exercising 6-7 days a week. sometimes the victories wont be on the scale. as long as you are FEELING different, noticing changes in yourself and youre exercising and eating well then keep doing what you do. you may have hit a plateau and may have to push through to get back to losing. i am having to do the same, i have lost over 20 lbs and seem to have stalled, but i am not giving up. i know you can do it, good luck to you
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    stick with your basic calorie count. The calories you lose while exercising should not be eaten. That is how you lose your weight. I have 1520 cal per day, on non exercise days I try to keep under those caloreis. When I exercise I try not to eat too many of the exercise calories. It's the calories left over per day that make count towrd your weight loss.

This is not how MFP is designed. The deficit is already built in; eating some or all of the exercise calories back actually helps you lose weight. Read the links in my signature.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think this is where we all get caught. We have good results for a little while, then our bodies get used to what we are doing and we plateau and we get discouraged. I'm no expert, but from what I understand; you need to change something. How about this: For a week or so, just do maintenance calories then go back to calorie reducing. Maybe longer. I know it's a scary prospect. I know I've been afraid to eat maintenance level calories. And I'm not the most weight lossy person here, but I have been able to at least maintain weight loss when I hit a plateau and gone back to maintenance.
    Having said that, it might just be that your body is building muscle which has some weight to it.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the HRM that's water resistant? That would be perfect. I had a feeling that MFP was exaggerating the calorie burn... that's why I bought the pedometer for when I'm walking... but the HRM sounds more accurate.
  • moseler
    Options
    I FEEL great... I actually out-hiked my husband for the very first time in our marriage last weekend... which made me feel like a rock star... so this I am happy about. My body FEELS better in clothes although according to the measurements I haven't lost an inch in two weeks... I FEEL great... but I want to SEE results too. Maybe, I just need to keep pushing...
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Polar makes some that are water resistant down to 30 meters (so can use them for snorkelling and medium depth scuba diving). I use the Polar FT60. It's a little pricier, but I had some problems with the FT7. Check out the Polar website: www.polarusa.com. I'm sure that Timex makes a water resistant HRM, but I'm just not as familiar with their products.

Don't give up.... you'll be able to break this plateau!
  • billtownsend
    Options
    Humm I've lost 120 lbs I think I know what I am doing and what not to do. Don't eat back your exercise calories.

This is not how MFP is designed. The deficit is already built in; eating some or all of the exercise calories back actually helps you lose weight. Read the links in my signature.
  • billtownsend
    Options
    Although I can't make a reply in here.

Humm I've lost 120 lbs I think I know what I am doing and what not to do. Don't eat back your exercise calories.
    I'll keep with what I am doing thanks all the same.
  • moseler
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and advice... by reading your posts and some of your links it really reminds me that all of us are different and what works for some doesn't work for all. I ordered a HRM online last night and can't wait to begin using it.

Also, I read some older posts and researched some other websites and I have decided to stay within my w/o exercise calories and only eat the earned calories from exercise when I'm hungry. Not to be a bible beater... but I believe God gave us the feelings of hunger and fullness for a reason and I can't see gorging myself to fit in the extra calories I earn... I don't feel good and it doesn't feel healthy.

I got on a scale this morning and wouldn't you know it... I lost one little pound. Hopefully, this trend will continue. Thanks again!
  • moseler
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and advice... by reading your posts and some of your links it really reminds me that all of us are different and what works for some doesn't work for all. I ordered a HRM online last night and can't wait to begin using it.

Also, I read some older posts and researched some other websites and I have decided to stay within my w/o exercise calories and only eat the earned calories from exercise when I'm hungry. Not to be a bible beater... but I believe God gave us the feelings of hunger and fullness for a reason and I can't see gorging myself to fit in the extra calories I earn... I don't feel good and it doesn't feel healthy.

I got on a scale this morning and wouldn't you know it... I lost one little pound. Hopefully, this trend will continue. Thanks again!