Recipe Substitutions

Options
sarahmarie0024
sarahmarie0024 Posts: 4 Member
Hi MFP community! I'm baking a recipe that calls for peanut butter and I was wondering if anyone has substituted powdered PB for regular PB. I'd like to cut some of the fat and calories from this recipe while still maintaining flavor and moisture (which I fear comes from the PB fat). I want people to think what they're eating is still bad for them :D
BTW - this is a Crock Pot Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake recipe.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Is this the recipe that calls for a yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, butter, chocolate syrup, peanut butter, powdered sugar, milk and Recees peanut butter cups? If so why worry about the added peanut butter in the recipe, this is already loaded with calories and peanut butter is "good fat".

Have you run the recipe through the builder to find out how many calories this is?

Or you can look specially for PB2 recipes.. https://www.pinterest.com/explore/powdered-peanut-butter/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good fats...use the PB. Nuts are calorie dense, but they are good for you.
  • sarahmarie0024
    sarahmarie0024 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @RoxieDawn that's the one! I'll be running the recipe through a bit later. I hadn't picked up all of the ingredients yet and had powdered PB on hand so I thought "maybe?!" The icing alone kills my carbs for the day, but if I could find a few ways to make it just a bit healthier, then I'd give it a try.
    @cwolfman13 thanks! I know nuts and nut butters are good for you. The calories have always made me a bit nervous but hasn't stopped me from having a serving of almonds, cashews, or pecans everyday :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    @RoxieDawn that's the one! I'll be running the recipe through a bit later. I hadn't picked up all of the ingredients yet and had powdered PB on hand so I thought "maybe?!" The icing alone kills my carbs for the day, but if I could find a few ways to make it just a bit healthier, then I'd give it a try.
    @cwolfman13 thanks! I know nuts and nut butters are good for you. The calories have always made me a bit nervous but hasn't stopped me from having a serving of almonds, cashews, or pecans everyday :)

This would be a nice splurge for me, will you have enough for an extra place setting? :)

Let me know what you do with it. I see nothing to change that would not change the integrity of the recipe itself.