Vegan egg?

Options
Anyone else try it? Tried this morning and it was great!

Replies

• chookywillow
    chookywillow Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    what is it called? we cant have eggs in the house due to allergy. I use organ egg replacer for baking. never found anything that can be used as egg for omelette etc. I'm getting very excited!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It's weird. I found it very unsettling and wouldn't eat it again but it'd be perfect for omelettes and great for baking.

http://followyourheart.com/veganegg/
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for an egg substitute to use in a bread machine. You think this might work?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    @AnnieintheN0rth = no, it will not work as an egg substitute
    Ingredients: Whole algal flour, whole algal protein, modified cellulose, cellulose, gellan gum, calcium lactate (plant source), carrageenan, nutritional yeast, black salt
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    I've been looking for an egg substitute to use in a bread machine. You think this might work?

Yes... I think it would. You might want to mix it with liquid first, before adding it in though.
  • DaddieCat
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @AnnieintheN0rth = no, it will not work as an egg substitute
    Ingredients: Whole algal flour, whole algal protein, modified cellulose, cellulose, gellan gum, calcium lactate (plant source), carrageenan, nutritional yeast, black salt

All vegan egg susbtitutes are a blend of starches and thickeners.. which is exactly what this is.

Ener-G, which is the most popular on the market has the following ingredients:
    Ingredients: Potato Starch,Tapioca Flour, Leavening (Calcium Lactate, Calcium Carbonate, Cream of Tartar), Cellulose Gum, Modified Cellulose.

From the website:
    "Delight in the taste and texture of eggs with this incredible new whole egg replacer! Enjoy the versatility you expect from eggs while positively impacting your health, the environment, and creating a more humane world. Bake cookies, muffins, cakes, and even cook up fluffy scrambled eggs and omelets!"
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Recipes often call for an egg, not for the taste, but because it needs a substance to make it fluffier or fuller.
    Adding flours, cellulose, gums, and starches will give the taste of egg, but not the texture.
  • DaddieCat
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Recipes often call for an egg, not for the taste, but because it needs a substance to make it fluffier or fuller.
    Adding flours, cellulose, gums, and starches will give the taste of egg, but not the texture.

You're wrong. I hate to be adamant about it, but they call for an egg because they need a binder... and this is a binder. It's designed to hold the recipe together and has nothing to do with the flavor, although using a flavorful binder adds depth to a recipe.

I've been baking and cooking food using vegan ingredients for over a decade... very effectively, I might add.

• MelaniaTrump
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My mother in law was a baker, and she talked about this. I was misguided by her.
    Geez, now I get bashed. Oh great.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    My mother in law was a baker, and she talked about this. I was misguided by her.
    Geez, now I get bashed. Oh great.

No one's bashing you... just being reassuring that there are other viable methods. I, too, have been a professional baker in my past. It's a tough job, but because it relies so much on chemical processes, there are very many effective substitutions for pretty much any ingredient. It's all about understanding how the ingredients react together during the process and what purpose they serve in that process.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    what is it called? we cant have eggs in the house due to allergy. I use organ egg replacer for baking. never found anything that can be used as egg for omelette etc. I'm getting very excited!

It's called vegan egg by follow your heart brand. I got it to use as scrambled eggs or omlets. Not so much for baking. I use ground flax with water for binding for baking.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

For baking you could try the liquid from cooking dried beans or drained from canned beans. I've read about this a few times (haven't done it myself yet), and just found this fairly comprehensive discussion of possible uses. It doesn't sound like it would work for omelets or scrambled eggs (which I wouldn't have expected, but then I wouldn't have expected you could make meringues or royal icing with bean liquid either).

http://www.glueandglitter.com/2015/04/14/aquafaba-magical-egg-replacer-for-vegan-meringue-recipes-and-beyond/
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

For breads, I use flax seed and water. I am allergic to eggs and flax seed is my to go substitute in baking. For muffins and such, applesauce works great so that may be an option, too.
  • strawberryswirl01
    strawberryswirl01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the sound of that haha. For a substitute I use banana or tofu.
  • chloeefrench
    chloeefrench Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OOOOH HELLO MORE VEGANS PLEASE BE MY FRIEND
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try the follow your heart vegan egg! I have seen such good reviews.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    @BecomingBane is correct on this one. It can be used as replacement for a real egg in baking. Egg is often used for binding. The vegan egg replacement will work just fine for breads and cookies. ( I'm not vegan ,I have food aversion issues with egg . It makes me vomit. )
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Egg always upsets my stomach and this totally didn't