What do/did you hate about being overweight?

Options

Replies

• dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can relate to having hated most things listed above.... in addition, I hated feeling invisible; rubbing holes through the inner thigh of my pants from friction; only having a few 4x things that fit me and refusing to buy more; having to sit and rest while others were active; being an embarrassment to my daughters; facing a total knee replacement because I was morbidly obese for so long.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Having to go upstairs or to the back of stores for the larger sizes;

I wonder why that is- that the larger sized clothing is ALWAYS in the back. Is it so that it gives overweight people a chance to exercise? Is it so that we won't be seen by those "normal" sized people walking by? It's like a badge of shame.

It makes sense. If it's mainly a normal size store with a few plus size options it wouldn't make sense to make the extra options front and center. Just like a running store would have running shoes and clothes front and center, and if they carry some extra for other sports, it's way in the back or somewhere you aren't able to quickly scan with your eyes as soon as you enter. We need to stop looking for things to be offended about.

Why not just mix the larger sizes in like they do with the "normal" sizes?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I wonder why that is- that the larger sized clothing is ALWAYS in the back. Is it so that it gives overweight people a chance to exercise? Is it so that we won't be seen by those "normal" sized people walking by? It's like a badge of shame.

It makes sense. If it's mainly a normal size store with a few plus size options it wouldn't make sense to make the extra options front and center. Just like a running store would have running shoes and clothes front and center, and if they carry some extra for other sports, it's way in the back or somewhere you aren't able to quickly scan with your eyes as soon as you enter. We need to stop looking for things to be offended about.

That's not how it works. That would be a logistical nightmare. These sizes are considered "special" and in many cases only certain brands carry them. How would you feel if you were a plus size person, coming in to buy plus size clothes, and instead you are having to hunt throughout clothes scattered all over the store to find something that has plus sizes. Embarrassing for some customers, extra work for employees.

Many stores here actually have multiple brands, only some of which have plus size options. Shopping there is a nightmare. I would rather order things online than have to browse the entire store for something that fits AND I like, It's often either one or the other. Not to mention I would have to visit multiple shops because there is no way of telling which shops have plus size and which don't. If some of them had a plus size section, and I don't care if they put it in the attic, it would have been much easier. I would be able to see at a glance which options I have. Be thankful for the back of the store plus size section. You'll probably never know how lucky you are to have it.
  • ogtmama
    Options

That's not how it works. That would be a logistical nightmare. These sizes are considered "special" and in many cases only certain brands carry them. How would you feel if you were a plus size person, coming in to buy plus size clothes, and instead you are having to hunt throughout clothes scattered all over the store to find something that has plus sizes. Embarrassing for some customers, extra work for employees.

Many stores here actually have multiple brands, only some of which have plus size options. Shopping there is a nightmare. I would rather order things online than have to browse the entire store for something that fits AND I like, not to mention I would have to visit multiple shops because there is no way of telling which shops have plus size and which don't. It's often either one or the other. If some of them had a plus size section, and I don't care if they put it in the attic, it would have been much easier. I would be able to see at a glance which options I have.

I was just thinking the size 16 could sit behind the 14, just as the 14 sits behind the 12...I didn't realize it was that complicated. I confess when 14 got too tight and I needed a plus size was when I came here so I honestly don't know how it works.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    All those hates!! And it is within your power to change every one of them. Good Luck!!

This..

20 lines of hates! There has to be 20 lines of likes?
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This thread makes for a depressing read. All the self-loathing and insecurities are just... blah.

I don't "hate" much about being fat. I dislike being unfit and the health issues I can see creeping up, but that's about it.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    I hated that I was never in any pictures...I love that I hand the camera to someone else now.

I hated shopping for clothes that would fit over my body and not look TOO bad...I love shopping for clothes that I genuinely like and make me feel good.

I hated being tired all the time...I love that I have ants in my pants now and I don't feel great until I get up and do something (even if it's just to clean the house).

I miss eating spontaneously and not knowing or caring what was in it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This thread makes for a depressing read. All the self-loathing and insecurities are just... blah.

I don't "hate" much about being fat. I dislike being unfit and the health issues I can see creeping up, but that's about it.

Its a bit of a mood killer for sure, the list is all about the external things in the world.

And the things said, I hated at one point was myself entirely! But even looking back at it now I would not be who I am today nor would I be where I am today! And either would my husband who went through this more than I did, and he never really hated anything!
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hate that I used to be so trim and fit now I'm a blob.
    I hate that I can't walk without hurting.
    I hate that I'm out of breath when I try to walk fast.
    I hate that I can't keep up to my Grandkids.
    Mainly i hate that I have done this horrible thing to myself.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    None of my pretty tops fit me anymore -- and I stocked up on really expensive, good quality stuff when I retired. Bummer. Have to get my size back to where it was.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy clothes shopping, my declining health, and not attracting men. Aside from that, life wasn't too bad.
  • fitandfunchar
    fitandfunchar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hate that I'm afraid to see people I haven't seen awhile because I'm heavier.
    I hated buying Spanx for the first time.
    I hate how sweaty I get, how exhausting stairs or even a mild walk can be.
    I hate how it feels to kneel or bend my elbow and have the fat collide.
    I miss the feeling of no back fat.
    I love my big tatas.
    I hate that I have stretch marks on my stomach now.
    I hate how much further I have to go this time.
    I hate that my 18 jeans are snug, but my 20 khakis are baggy.
    I hate that I'm restricted to only a couple of outfits because I'm in the 2Xs now.
    I hate that I feel extra guilty getting a small portion of dessert even though I know it's in my budget.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I hated trying to date while overweight. It seemed to me that guys treated me worse, in general. I've been thin, and I've been overweight, and I've been downright fat. And the heavier I get the more *notcutelikeakitten* guys try to pull. If they're even willing to go out. My tolerance for that garbage was and remains about nil, although I work pretty hard to leave the guy (no matter how much of a *notcutelikeakitten* he is) feeling like he had a great date even if I'm personally really annoyed.

Of course, I can't compare right now to dating while thin AND over 30, because the last time I was thin and dated I was in my late teens. Maybe its an age thing. Or maybe its just a I-don't-tolerate-*notcutelikeakitten*-behavior like I did at 19. Who knows. But I think being fat had something to do with it.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    And I hated having NO Energy. But I didn't appreciate just how significant the weight was an energy drain until it started coming off.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    How invisible I felt.

This is kind of me, although I had a hand in it. I didn't dare wear "look at me" clothing. If I'm being frank, I was ashamed at what I had done to myself. The lack of energy was no fun either.

• NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I hate my belly
    I hate being the fat friend
    I hate having no energy
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I hated going to London and being tired all day from the walking. I hated not being able to reach the top of Saint Paul church.