sugar bloat

i've been maintaining for awhile now and lately a big issue for me has been my sugar intake. i've gained five pounds of what i assume to be water weight that hasn't left, and maintained this new weight for a few months. however, these past couple weeks i've been in a deficit but bloated essentially everyday, causing the scale to not move. i attribute this to a relatively high added sugar intake. even with constant hydration, average sodium, my deficit is overshadowed by the water weight. i can't be 100% sure the issue is this sugar intake, but i have read about sugar causing bloat worse than sodium. has anyone had experience with this, and if so, how did you overcome it? i have been trying to decrease my added sugar intake as i hope this will help. as a disclaimer, yes i am logging accurately and do know that sugar will not cause weight gain unless i am in a caloric surplus, which is why i'm not speaking of weight gain, but bloat not leaving possibly due to. sorry this was long, thank you!

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Bloat is generally a temporary thing unless you have a medical condition causing you to retain water.

What are you doing to try to reduce sugar intake?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    You mean bloat like gassy? If you don't think it is water weight, what else do you think it is? It's either water, fat or gas.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Gas wouldn't register on the scales.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    5lbs over months is not water weight

If you were low carb and increased carb intake (eg sugar) you,would replenish lost glycogen and water so could be that ..although that's not bloat, it's biology
  • zenakerby
    zenakerby Posts: 12 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    Bloat is generally a temporary thing unless you have a medical condition causing you to retain water.

What are you doing to try to reduce sugar intake?

yeah, i know it's temporary, but if the sugar is constant than the bloat stays until it's reduced. to reduce my sugar intake, i'm tracking it and making sure not consume over. i do this mainly
    by elimininating foods with high added sugar counts.
  • zenakerby
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You mean bloat like gassy? If you don't think it is water weight, what else do you think it is? It's either water, fat or gas.

no, i mean bloat like water weight. i mentioned in the post that i do believe it to be water weight, but am not 100% certain and wanted feedback to validate the assumption and find a solution.
  • zenakerby
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    5lbs over months is not water weight

If you were low carb and increased carb intake (eg sugar) you,would replenish lost glycogen and water so could be that ..although that's not bloat, it's biology

yes, although vague in my post, i've accepted the 5lbs as permanent and not bloat although it happened overnight and stayed. the issue right now is the bloat, but my eating has stayed the same and i have not had any dietary changes such as going from low to higher carb.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Sugar doesn't contribute to water weight retention any more than any other sort of carb. If you were relatively low carb and increased your carb intake due to the added sugar, you could have a shift in weight due to the extra water weight you are now carrying. This same thing would happen if you were low carb and started eating more rice or bread, it's not specific to sugar.