Recipe with serving size in grams

Options
kristure1993
kristure1993 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2016 in Recipes
Hi, I just made a bunch of smoothie and put it together in a bowl. I registered it as a recipe to know the amount of calories in the bowl.

However no I have the issue of logging it when I don't take the whole bowl in once. Is there any way I can put in the total amount of grams and then how many grams my meal is?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can take the entire weight of the dish by grams. Lets say it weighed 500 grams, you can enter 500 servings and add 100 (servings) grams to your diary. This to me is a bit over kill but I have been doing this for over two years.

I have taken smaller recipes i.e. homemade trail mix I made up (a few cups) and did it this way, but my meal recipes (crockpot, casseroles, etc.) are now all by cup servings. I think the longer you do it the better you get at gauging the portions in your recipes.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use servings of 100 grams to make the math a bit easier. So if it was 500 grams total that's 5 servings. I make different serving sizes depending on the food, so if I'm doing by grams I include the info in my title, so I know what a "serving" is later. Ex: "My lemon cake, per 100 g" or "My chocolate cupcakes, per cupcake". Play with it and do what works for you. :)
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When you entered the recipe, didn't it ask for a serving size? Just write 100g in the serving size section.

I create all my own food entries and put 100g as the serving size regardless of what it is. So 100g chicken, 100g rice, 100g PB2, etc. Then if it weighs less - like PB2 - I'll put 0.15 of a serving and it comes up as 15g. Or 1.15 for 115g, and so on.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just weigh the final product and use that as servings. So my baked Ziti came out to 1050 grams. That's my serving in the recipe. When I log what I eat, I weigh my portion (say 250g) and log that in my diary as servings. Helps because that way there's no math involved.

Edited for claification.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When you entered the recipe, didn't it ask for a serving size? Just write 100g in the serving size section.

I create all my own food entries and put 100g as the serving size regardless of what it is. So 100g chicken, 100g rice, 100g PB2, etc. Then if it weighs less - like PB2 - I'll put 0.15 of a serving and it comes up as 15g. Or 1.15 for 115g, and so on.

I don't get this at all.