Options
    Lisa1660 wrote: »
    what is Contrave???

A prescription weight loss medicine.
  • Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been on it 3 weeks so far. No miracles but I am certainly having an easier time sticking to my food plan. For example, I used to always have uncontrollable urges to eat when I got home from work. Now I sense the want but it is reduced enough that I don't give in to it.

I've lost about 3.5 pounds following an 1800 calorie diet with a few indulgences thrown in (mainly in the form of beer). Also, I upped my calories on extremely active days like those with longer hikes.
  • rachboat
    rachboat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to pick up my Contrave now, I would love the add from some others that are on it!! I'm planning to start taking it tomorrow morning.
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Im going to the doctor today to talk about taking it. Im nervous that it will be too expensive for me right now.
  • dorothytcampbell
    dorothytcampbell Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • NewMrsCarlson
    NewMrsCarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of Contrave, so far I have lost 4.8 pounds, but that's with my actually trying, started for real the second week. It has made such a huge difference in my cravings, that It does help me say no and control my appetite, i get full easier. I am on a 1900 calorie per day.

Feel free to add me anyone! :)
  • Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm down 10 pounds in 5 weeks. I'm ecstatic. I look down at the scale and I don't believe the numbers.

I want to stress that it is by no means easy. I still have times I want to eat when I am probably not hungry and I sometimes I give in to those urges. It just happens a lot less. Yesterday was a difficult day for me. I hurt my knee hiking a couple weeks ago and forcing myself to rest is so difficult. I think taking the Contrave lifts the cloud of the cravings/urges so I can see better the reasons that I do eat and identify triggers.

I have figured out that not being able to do what I want is a big trigger as is inactivity/idleness. Now I just need to find ways other than eating to deal with these triggers. I really think I just need to enjoy just being. I grew up in a very tumultuous household. My mother would frequently insult my father by calling him lazy. This instilled in me a belief that inactivity is bad. I need to start looking at it as restorative instead.

I urge others taking Contrave to go through an introspective process to identify your triggers or the problems you had before taking the Contrave will still be there when you stop the medication and you'll risk regaining the weight back. One process I think is solid is Inside Out Weight Loss by Renee Stephens. Google it. There are free podcasts available that guide you through the process and a book titled "Full-Filled".

Good luck everyone. I sent friend requests to those who requested them.
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 of Contrave + I found MFP 3 weeks ago. I am very excited about my progress by using both tools. Plus, I've been able to quit smoking. The goal is to make these true life changes that stick!
  • morcadioa
    morcadioa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of contrave. Is it available in the Uk without a prescription? Thanks
  • Kaybird212
    Kaybird212 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Contrave is a medication containing naltrexone HCl and bupropion HCl. Naltrexone is a medication use to curb opiate cravings therefore anyone using opiate for pain management should not use this medication - they will become sick. Bupropion - better know as Wellbutrin is an antidepressant also use to curb nicotine cravings. Anyone who has suffered from mania or depression in the past should be wary of this medication.

I started Contrave in the beginning of May and have lost 15 pounds. It does help control appetite. My insurance doesn't cover it but with a card from Takeda I pay $60 a prescription which is avoidable for me - a lot cheaper than diet programs. You can get the card on-line.

My side effects: No dry mouth, main compliant is slowing of the GI tract - constipation - which may be why some people complain of abdominal pain, its just occasional. On the full dose (2 pills in am and 2 pills pm) I become a cranky btch (best way to describe it) - it takes a couple of weeks for this to happen and I tried 3 times to tolerate the full dose with no success, therefore my current dose is 2 pills am and 1 pill pm (doctor approved). This also helped to lessen other side effect and I am my normal happy self - unfortunately a little hungrier.
  • megs2600
    megs2600 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds on it. It has been very helpful. I also eat 1200 calories a day and track everything I eat. I exercise sometimes, need to do some toning stuff and feel good now! I just have 11 pounds to go!

I am also on Lose It!

Feel free to add me.