Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have no idea what it is. Link?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Impossible to get a decent workout out in in 7 minutes....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not much is going to happen in 7 minutes...it's probably better than zero minutes, but only marginally so.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I had to google it: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout
  • Trease1014
    Trease1014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its better than doing nothing at all and I did find the exercises a challenge (I would have a pretty good sweat) but eventually you'll need to start cycling through and doing multiple repetitions of the 7 minutes. If you're just beginning to exercise I would recommend it as a good starting point.
  • jemhh
    edited July 2016
    Options

I had to google it: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout

Thanks!

You know...I don't have a problem with this. It seems like a useful routine if you're short on time or equipment. I started out doing the Nerd Fitness beginner's routine, which is similar but has fewer exercises and is done for multiple circuits. It was a good way for me as a completely out of shape beginner to improve cardio fitness, strength, and mobility. This kind of workout could do the same. I'd say a beginner should be more attentive to form than to maintaining a higher exertion level though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You know...I don't have a problem with this. It seems like a useful routine if you're short on time or equipment. I started out doing the Nerd Fitness beginner's routine, which is similar but has fewer exercises and is done for multiple circuits. It was a good way for me as a completely out of shape beginner to improve cardio fitness, strength, and mobility. This kind of workout could do the same. I'd say a beginner should be more attentive to form than to maintaining a higher exertion level though.

To add, the article says it is meant to be done as HIIT, which means the working part should be at a very high intensity. Most people confuse intervals with HIIT and many don't manage to hit the required intensity level. I wouldn't expect the results they claim although as mentioned, it's a good place to start or doing multiple rounds aren't a bad idea.
  • julieferraro06
    julieferraro06 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input guys really helpful. i am doing it after my morning and afternoon walk.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The squats and lunges are frequently done incorrectly, so check Youtube for form tutorials.

After a month or so, once you get used to that routine, consider moving up to a more substantial program. A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also started MFP with similar training. I alternated two routines everyday for a month. I now add this type of training to help me with endurance and agility. It helps me to be quicker and rebound better as well as retain energy in sports.

I like to add weights (Kettlebells, Dumbbells, cables, medicine balls...) or other resistance (bands, inclines, height...) to make the work more challenging.

Some days I may be dragging and will take it slower. Good form always is priority.

There are lots of routines (Fitness Blender...) that alternate push/pull and Plyometrics work in a similar fashion. That might be the science-y part I would examine first for creating my own personal 7-minute workout.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That might be more actual exercise than many smart phone looking, socializing, long rest between sets and exercising people get done in their hour at the gym ;0)
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is that the best exercise is the one you will actually do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Thanks!

To add, the article says it is meant to be done as HIIT, which means the working part should be at a very high intensity. Most people confuse intervals with HIIT and many don't manage to hit the required intensity level. I wouldn't expect the results they claim although as mentioned, it's a good place to start or doing multiple rounds aren't a bad idea.

High intensity planks and high intensity wall sits?

• DavPul
    Options

Sure you do.

AliceDark wrote: »
    If it's literally only 7 minutes, you could probably pick any exercise option and be in the correct ballpark.

Correct.

I did look it up, though. More because I had to know if somebody actually created a real 7 Minute Abs workout than anything. It appears to be bodyweight exercises. I'd probably use one of the calisthenics entries to log it.

It's the same thing you looked up last time
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think that it's redeeming value is that there is no rest that is not an exercise in it's own right. This version link is a bit more advanced. I'm always a bit skeptical of people chanting "science" as an appeal to authority but this looks like a standard non-stop complex circuit. Probably not what people who want to get credit for every calorie burned are looking for but actually not bad, especially on a day you are pinched for time.

I notice that it has an app. While I normally ridicule "is there an app for that?" I've started using the app from alkavadlo.com/ since I've switched to body weight exercise for a season. I'm finding that a good hard get'er done quick workout suits me, at least some of the time.
  • jemhh
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Sure you do.

If it's literally only 7 minutes, you could probably pick any exercise option and be in the correct ballpark.

Correct.

I did look it up, though. More because I had to know if somebody actually created a real 7 Minute Abs workout than anything. It appears to be bodyweight exercises. I'd probably use one of the calisthenics entries to log it.

Sheesh, how did you remember me looking that up? I thought I remembered odd things.

Every time I read an X Minute Workout question I still think of There's Something About Mary.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I read the article which described it as HIIT training and skimmed the exercises. LOL. Whoops.
  • jemhh
    Options

Thanks!

RKC planks, clearly
  • DavPul
    Options

Sure you do.

Correct.

Sheesh, how did you remember me looking that up? I thought I remembered odd things.

Every time I read an X Minute Workout question I still think of There's Something About Mary.

But what if someone makes 6 minute abs?
  • DavPul
    Options

Thanks!

RKC planks, clearly

The One True Plank