Is it possible to lose 2kg a week?

Options
Hi guys!
I am on a weight loss journey after gaining 10kg from coming out of a very athletic lifestyle to staying at home most the time due to moving back to the UK after living abroad 8 years. Anyway just wondering if anyone is at a 2kg a week weight drop and how you do it? I am very muscular for a woman from swimming and surfing all the time for years but with the fat I have put on I am feeling really bulky and I hate it. My job requires me to look my best, act my best and right now I am feeling horrible, depressed, letting it control my life which is torture so I need to get the weight off quickly.. I know once it is off I will have no problem keeping it off but right now am losing motivation! Any advice appreciated x

Replies

• SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Weight loss of 2kg per week would require you to be in a weekly calorie deficit (Eating UNDER you maintenance) of 15400 calories, or in other words. A deficit of 2200 a day. That is basically not possible for 99.9999% of people, particularly for a woman as women have lower calorie needs than men.

You need to find a more realistic and achievable goal. Because putting yourself at such a ridiculously high and fast goal is going to burn you out and make you more miserable, which in turn will likely result in binges and yo-yoing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you weigh 450+ pounds (a bit over 220 kg), yes. Otherwise, no. You risk muscle loss and malnutrition from that high of a deficit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you weigh 450+ pounds (a bit over 220 kg), yes. Otherwise, no. You risk muscle loss and malnutrition from that high of a deficit.

i.e., if you weigh more than 32 stone, go for it.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    That's 4 lbs a week, right? That seems realllllllly extreme
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes you possibly could. .....would it be safe.....no.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Bet you'd prefer to stay healthy & strong while you lose the weight, since you're athletic, and because your job requires you to be your best. As others have said, don't lose that rapidly, with so little to lose - not a good plan.

Aim to lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week. If you lose more, you significantly risk loss of lean body mass along with fat, because your body can only metabolize so many calories per day from each pound of fat. If your deficit is higher than that, it'll start burning other body tissues, like muscle. On top of that, you increase your risk for "adaptive thermogenesis" which means having a metabolism that requires fewer calories than someone of the same size who's never dieted. (Not the same as the "starvation mode" some people talk about here.)

Use the weight loss process to figure out how to eat and exercise in a healthy, satisfying, sustainable way permanently, so that you can maintain your new, healthy weight forever, and look your very best and have plenty of energy and enthusiasm for your job specifically and your life generally.

Set your MFP profile for a small calorie deficit, weigh & log food when you can (estimate when you must), maintain your calorie deficit many more days than not, try to get at least 0.3-0.4g protein for every kg of healthy goal weight (more is good), around .18g of fat per kg of goal weight (as much as possible of it from healthy sources), get plenty of fruits & veggies for their micronutrient value and fiber, be regularly active doing something you enjoy, and experiment with the number & timing of your meals/snacks to find the routine that's most satisfying for you.

You'll be surprised how fast the weight is gone, and how great you feel along the way.

(edited to put all body weight units in kg).
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Inanswer to your subject line, then "Technically yes, healthily no". If you decide you're going to spend the extra few weeks to do it right and want/need a random mid-African to chat to then feel free - otherwise hope you still do it right and get the support you need, Dz,x
  • Murano243
    Murano243 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »

Heck I have lost 10 lbs. a week with little effort. I just put my mind to it that 245 had to go. I keep my calorie
    in take around 2000, I have 60 gram. of super whey protein for breakfast lunch when I think about it, and dinner
    I have to have meat of some kind baked, grilled , and 8 0z. steak once a week. I only exercise 30 min. am, and
    30 min 1hr. before bed time. One room in my house is a gym and I do H.I.T. exercises 10 min. on 3 things am.
    and 10 min. on something else pm. I'm 6'1 and 190 lbs. now. I may go to 185 but never over 190.I'm a 30 yr. retired MARINE '64 - 93, I'm also in competition shooting fast stuff running all over the place, and combat tactical. Using pistol, shoot gun, and AR-15. Buy the way I'm 69 yrs. young.
    So to me 4lbs. a week isn't all that bad. Well bethannien good luck to you.

Semper-Fi
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Murano243 wrote: »

Heck I have lost 10 lbs. a week with little effort. I just put my mind to it that 245 had to go. I keep my calorie
    in take around 2000, I have 60 gram. of super whey protein for breakfast lunch when I think about it, and dinner
    I have to have meat of some kind baked, grilled , and 8 0z. steak once a week. I only exercise 30 min. am, and
    30 min 1hr. before bed time. One room in my house is a gym and I do H.I.T. exercises 10 min. on 3 things am.
    and 10 min. on something else pm. I'm 6'1 and 190 lbs. now. I may go to 185 but never over 190.I'm a 30 yr. retired MARINE '64 - 93, I'm also in competition shooting fast stuff running all over the place, and combat tactical. Using pistol, shoot gun, and AR-15. Buy the way I'm 69 yrs. young.

Semper-Fi

You had 240lbs to lose, OP only has 20 to lose.

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Murano243 wrote: »

Semper-Fi

Ok well since OP has 10% what you had to lose and I assume they like their lean muscle mass, I'll stand by what I said :)