Proud but embarrassed

Options
Hi! I started regularly using my treadmill around 2 months ago. It'd been sat collecting dust for too long! I could only run two little bursts of 90 seconds, then a final 75 seconds, with plenty of walking in between. I thought I might actually faint the first time I finished! I've not exercised since school and since giving birth a year ago I want to improve my fitness for my daughter.

So, 2 months on, having used my treadmill every day barring weekends, I can run for 3 stints of 6 minutes, 5 minutes then a last ditch 3 minute effort! I feel really, really proud of this but am also conscious it's still pathetic as I have no endurance and I'm only going at 5mph. I want to feel good about it and stop comparing myself to what I think I should be able to do but can't quite get there.

I don't have any specific goals regarding my fitness. I've lost around 50lbs since joining MFP and want to lose around another 30lbs. I'm wondering though if I should think of setting a goal to work towards though? Maybe that would help me feel better about what I've achieved so far??! Any thoughts welcome!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Sure! I love having long term fitness goals. Every time I go into the gym I know exactly what I'm doing, and why. I have a power lifting meet to prepare for.

What is something that might be fun for you? Seems like you are enjoying running. Perhaps you can sign up for a 5k.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Woozer123 wrote: »
    Hi! I started regularly using my treadmill around 2 months ago. It'd been sat collecting dust for too long! I could only run two little bursts of 90 seconds, then a final 75 seconds, with plenty of walking in between. I thought I might actually faint the first time I finished! I've not exercised since school and since giving birth a year ago I want to improve my fitness for my daughter.

So, 2 months on, having used my treadmill every day barring weekends, I can run for 3 stints of 6 minutes, 5 minutes then a last ditch 3 minute effort! I feel really, really proud of this but am also conscious it's still pathetic as I have no endurance and I'm only going at 5mph. I want to feel good about it and stop comparing myself to what I think I should be able to do but can't quite get there.

I don't have any specific goals regarding my fitness. I've lost around 50lbs since joining MFP and want to lose around another 30lbs. I'm wondering though if I should think of setting a goal to work towards though? Maybe that would help me feel better about what I've achieved so far??! Any thoughts welcome!

You have made great improvements and shouldn't feel embarrassed at all. It takes a lot of work to start at the ground floor of fitness. Give yourself credit for doing it!

Are you following a program for running or winging it? If you'd like a program, C25k is a good one as it is a walk/run program, progressing a bit more each week. Hal Higdon also has good training programs, if you just want a specific schedule to follow.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why not sign up for a local 5km run a couple of months down the road :) Something like the Electric Donkey - something that will be fun even if you end up walking. You could look into the C25k program too (Google). I think you're doing great! I can also only run at about 5 mph. But I kept at that pace and now I can do 10 km if I want. Even slow running is faster than walking! Next goal would be to be able to run faster, but I am not really working on my own running at the moment...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I second the idea to sing up for a 5K run. Find something fun that is far enough out there that you will have time to get ready. It gives your running time more of a purpose, and you'll be over the moon when you run across the finish line!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's s great pace! What speed do you think a beginner "should" run?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Mini goals and fitness goals helped get me within 5lbs to my goal weight. I still haven't hit all my fitness goals but working towards them helps keep me on track.

I think you're doing good. When I started I could last 5 minutes on my stationary bike. Haven't used it in awhile as I'm doing a lifting program instead now but the last time I did 45 minutes at a resistance of 7 (started at 3).
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    5mph is fine! And sign up for a 5k you will love it!
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's ace! :)

My first 5k was 36mins (5mph) and I will never be more proud of that run. I have been running for a while and it took a long time to get faster but nothing beats that first finish. If you try C25K have a look at starting a few weeks in, as you won't need the first few weeks (as you've been doing more than they say). But what you are doing now is great! You could probably do it without the program.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You probably could do it without the program but the structured running for it tends to progress you faster than you would most likely do on your own. I did the c25k program up until week 5 when it had me run 20 minutes. when I could run 20 minutes I just started running. Saturday I have a run planned that will be between 7 and 9 miles at about a 5 mph pace.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Why would you feel embarrassed? That is great and you should feel proud. Everyone had to start somewhere at some time. Keep increasing your time each time. Set a goal like a 5k.

I remember when I could only run a minute at a time and my heart felt like it was going to explode!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    try some longer workouts with even shorter intervals. Try doing 1 min run/1 min walk x 16 or more. The shorter run intervals are easier to tolerate and the 1 min recovery intervals are short enough that you are frequently applying the harder exercise challenge. If that seems too easy, try 2 min run/1 min walk and 10-12 repeats. It's a good way to build up endurance and feel successful rather than always running until you can't go any farther.
  • amyers3312
    amyers3312 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you have lost and the improvement!! Sometimes i think it easiest to start with small, daily goals like add a small amount of time with each burst or maybe total work out time or distance. Every little goal you can acheive sets you up for success on the next goal. Keep up the good work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I am the worst runner. I signed up for a 5k when I was overweight and ran the thing in 33 or 34 minutes. You'd be fine.

I vowed never to run again though and I barely have.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Woozer123 wrote: »

Don't be discouraged. Why are you running? I use the Jillian Michaels program on a memory card which works with our treadmill. There are 20 minute exercises at the beginning, progressing to 30 minute sessions. It's a combo of changing speeds and varying incline levels, but one thing I notice she always says is "walk, don't run", also something about "walking on an incline". There's no running involved in her treadmill program.
  • Woozer123
    Woozer123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and the support, it's really encouraging. I'm not using a structured programme, just winging it and setting myself mini goals each week. I wasn't sure whether I should just be trying to run as long as I can or doing intervals but the fact it's so hard come the last leg, makes me think it must be doing something good so I'll carry on with the intervals for the time being.

I think I'll aim for a 5k, but to run it, not walk any. I might Google to C25K to figure out a reasonable date in the future. My "runs" are at 5mph and although when I started this felt like running, it now feels more of a jog. I feel like I should concentrate on endurance over speed though so will put off worrying about that for now!

And for those who asked why I felt embarrassed, I suppose it's because I'm so unfit! Although I'm proud of what I've achieved so far but I know I'm a million miles away from a reasonable level of fitness and I've let myself get that way. By the time my daughter is old enough to recognise healthy habits (she's 14 months old) I want mummy running to be normal, and for nobody to worry I might die when I finish on the treadmill! That's the ultimate goal, promoting a healthy lifestyle to her and making sure I live an active life with her.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    New goals are always great! Just don't go diminishing what you've achieved so far because you've come a long way and should be nothing but proud. Keep up the great work!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It seems like people always think they run too slow in general or too slow to be considered runners. Lots of people run slowly. Also, stopping to walk is fine. Check out Jeff Galloway. I finished my first 5k in 39:42 and that was me running the entire way. My second 5k was 34:xx and on that one I took two walk breaks. They can help a lot.
  • katielynn107
    katielynn107 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe try increasing speed or time by a very little bit at a time- I mean you've already come so far. I think you're doing great- set goal that are a challenge but won't get you too overwhelmed or disappointed and frustrated. It's like making a huge to do list with 15% already done- makes the rest of the list seem less daunting.