Bathroom Dilema....

Options
Well - I've increased my fiber and water and I still am having a hard time and I am not having consistent bowel movements (maybe 1 every couple days). When I don't go, I don't lose - any suggestions of what to try?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Well - I've increased my fiber and water and I still am having a hard time and I am not having consistent bowel movements (maybe 1 every couple days). When I don't go, I don't lose - any suggestions of what to try?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    ive never been consistent so if you find something, let me know.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    milled flax seeds
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That's funny. I was just wondering the same thing. I don't go every day either and was wondering if this could effect my weight loss.

Need some answers from a medical professional.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Starbucks...every time I have one...half way through the latte i go runnin' to the potty!

Seroiusly though...increase fiber, increase water, artificial sweeteners can make you poo, coffee can make you poo, EXERCISE can make you poo!

Good luck!
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How have you increased fiber intake? Benefiber (two teaspoons a day, twice a day) works very well if you have not tried it as a means to get your fiber.

You should also analyze your diet to see if there is a specific element you are taking too much of that could be causing your problem: look at dairy particularly.

Fresh fruit and veggies (particularly greens) are essential for good intestinal health also.

If you are going less than once every two days then something is definitely going on whether it's dietary or health-wise, make sure you check in with your doctor if you can't remedy your problem by dietary changes!
  • rmarlow
    rmarlow Posts: 64
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate. You can get it at wal-mart. Works like a charm.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It will affect your weight. I've been struggling with this for months.

I've found that the solution is to weigh myself the morning after a bowel movement. Or to exercise in the morning, with the intention of inducing one.

I've also found that when I was overly concerned about the 1-2 lb effect of full bowels, I was actually gaining weight!

So, my advice is to be patient. In time, when you have *real* weight loss (i.e. fat loss), the scale will move, even if your bowels don't.

And finally, every other day is pretty regular... I couldn't go for a week once in November. :grumble:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    My daughter struggles with this constantly. Since the day she was born, everything got hung up. It's a real problem and causes lots of tummy aches. I just try to keep her hydrated and full of veggies.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    SongBSweet did some great threads on this topic might wanna take a look at the archives:flowerforyou: One thing she mentioned each time she shared with those that brought it up was there really is no 'normal' amount of times to eliminate each day. Some go every couple days, some 5 times a day...you'll see more of what was shared on the thread. I don't recall everything that was said... Google will probably help you out perhaps check out WebMD.com

FC:heart:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    i suffer with the same problem except my days of not going are further stretched my dr says thats why i don't drop pounds because I can't go to the bathroom- i increase my water and fiber without luck usually my doctor tells me i have no choice but to use a laxative- but they also reccomend stool softeners-

but also as long as your going don't worry- every other day is fine- everybody is different as long as your going i wouldn't worry too much
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Up the green veggie and bran/fiber intake.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have always had this problem. I take fiber everyday, and it still doesnt really work. :sad:
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    milled flax seeds

That's one of the suggestions my mother-in-law gave to me. She also suggested lemon water so I've been trying that and it seems to work first.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I used to be a once-a-week or less person as well. Then I changed my eating habits, and starting taking multi-vitamin and fish oil.

What is MOST important for me is a consistent routine. Wake up, coffee with breakfast, sit and read for 30 minutes, and then I would go. If I travel or alter my schedule, it throws things off. I'm getting better at learning how to listen to my body. Water and fish oil seem to be the biggest aids (I don't supplement fiber as I already usually eat lots of leafy greens and other fibrous things.)
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I also have BM problems.

One of my friends is a nursing student and she said just because you don't have a bm everyday doesnt mean you are not normal. Everyone is different and sometimes eating too much fiber will also bind you up.

Just keep eating healthy, drink your water and exercise and you will be fine. If you weigh yourself everyday then you will prob go up and down a lot so base your weight loss on a day of the week and compare.

Hope that helped a bit!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback and will keep trying to be "NORMAL":noway:
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It may sound awful but it really isn't that bad....

Buy those 6 ounce cans of prune juice and nuke it. Drink and enjoy!

Seriously you should see results in a couple of hours.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Starbucks...every time I have one...half way through the latte i go runnin' to the potty!

That's funny I have the same problem when I go to my local Mongolian BBQ :laugh: