low carb / keto snack ideas please!

Options
I'm a teacher and we're going back to school.
Here's my situation:
I've always prepped my lunches and took them to school. I had my own fridge and microwave in my classroom. I had a stack of yoghurts, juices, coconut waters and creamer for my coffee in my fridge and granola bars and crackers in my cabinet for snacks. That was when I wasn't doing keto, only logging calories. Now, with low carb diet, none of these will fly lol.

Now I'm at a new school and we can't have fridge or microwave in the classroom. We do have a fridge and microwave in the teacher lounge and luckily it's super close and only 6 of us use it, so I can still bring my lunches and heat them, etc. But my snacks are gonna have to be different, the typical granola protein bar won't go as they're full of carbs.

Does anyone one have any recommendation for products for snack or even better, recipes for home made items, that I can keep in my cabinet and not in the fridge?
It'd be nice to have the chance to eat something right then and there if hunger or low blood sugar strikes and not have to wait until break or lunch.

I do have a little insulated lunchbox that I could keep things in and keep cold if necessary.

Thank you so much

Replies

• deuzie
    deuzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    string cheese, how about a thermos of broth with butter in it?
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oh these sound great! I haven't even thought about cheese or hard boiled eggs duh lol. Or avocado yum.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you pack your lunch every day then skipping a fridge should be no problem. I often bring leftovers like a hamburger patty, which is fine for 4-5 hours without a fridge.

Cans of tuna. slices of cheese, a mix of nuts, seeds and coconut, BPC, veggies and cheese dip, a salad, a fritatta, pepperoni sticks, peanut butter on celery... and leftovers. these are all easy foods to pack, and many can be left in a drawaer for a few days.

After a few weeks of LCHF, low blood sugar should no longer be an issue for you. Being fat adapted (body is used to using fat oxidation instead of carbs for some fuel - does not require ketosis) will keep your BG steadier. I used to have pretty strong symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia (shaking, headaches, light headed) but since I cut most carbs, it NEVER happens anymore. Even if I don't eat at all.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    BACON! craptone of fine crispy oinkyoinky bacon!
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    Yes technically I could bring my lunch every day but what I was doing was to bring lunch for 5 days and put it in my fridge. I had a huge insulated bag, I would use that Mondays. I always prepped my food on Sundays for the workweek and prelogged them and they were just sitting in my fridge at home. This way I didn't have to carry them every day.

These snack idea sound great, now I have a better idea.
    Is there any kind of yoghurt out there that's low in carb?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    These snack idea sound great, now I have a better idea.
    Is there any kind of yoghurt out there that's low in carb?

Find a greek yogurt with 9% or more fat. Liberte is one we use. Make sure to get plain. No vanilla, fruit or other flavours added. Plain is the way to go. Or add a drop of stevia, some vanilla, and a few berries.
  • __New_New__
    __New_New__ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Am I ruining my diet by eating JIF and celery? Should I be using a different kind of peanut butter? I keep getting suggestions to eat peanut butter when hungry but it does have 6 nets carbs per serving?
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Am I ruining my diet by eating JIF and celery? Should I be using a different kind of peanut butter? I keep getting suggestions to eat peanut butter when hungry but it does have 6 nets carbs per serving?

Not everyone one on a low carb diet is using the same threshold. If you are in Atkins phase 1, then no, you shouldn't be eating peanutbutter because it does have sugar added.

Beyond that, the amount of carbs don't matter as long as you are logging them and accounting for them in your totals. Be sure to measure accurately, several spoonfuls is likely to be about 6 servings!
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I keep a Kind bar in my purse and at my desk. The ones I buy have 5g of sugar and 6-10g of fiber and most of the flavors are pretty good. I like the Powerful Yogurt (Key Lime is awesome). It has 21g of protein per 8 ounces and less sugar then a lot of other Greek yogurts. I find it quite filling. Nuts and cheese are also great go today for snacks.
  • slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Miso soup is good.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You can make beef, turkey or chicken jerky in the oven at a low temperature. Take a look at recipes online, as there are many out there, and choose one that suits your tastebuds. I found the best method was once the meat is sliced put 2 pieces on a toothpick and then hang them from the grills on the shelves.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Homemade Juice/Smoothie, Banana, Greek Yogurt, raisins, cranraisins, cherries, dried fruit, dark chocolate(?), eggs, tuna are some. Is coconut water not allowed in Keto? Because I would say keep the coconut water lol.
    Miso soup is good.
    ^
    I second this. Miso soup is delicious and filling.

• alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, nuts (just watch your portions and read your labels!), bulletproof coffee all make good low carbs snacks, also if you do some Googling there's a bunch of variations on a dessert I use myself, it's basically cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, no carb sweetener and then some kind of flavoring (sugarless jello pudding makes a great flavoring) like vanilla extract. I don't see why you couldn't leave that in your classroom, cream cheese and creamers are left on restaurant tables at room temp all day.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    I've finally found a great protein bar, 190 calories (or a little less, can remember) only 1 gram of sugar, and 22 gr of carb but 15 gr of it is fiber and 4 gr Erythritol, I was told not to count that. Very filling and tastes great. It's a Kirkland brand from Costco. 21 gr protein.
    Also there's a protein drink from Costco, pretty much the same nutritional make up. Due to all the fiber it's actually keeps me full for 3-4 hours.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    LUHAN27 wrote: »
    Homemade Juice/Smoothie, Banana, Greek Yogurt, raisins, cranraisins, cherries, dried fruit, dark chocolate(?), eggs, tuna are some. Is coconut water not allowed in Keto? Because I would say keep the coconut water lol.

Everything, except for the tuna and eggs are full of carbs and full of sugar. Def. avoid those!! Maybe Greek yoghurt if it's plain, but even dairy has carbs.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    The growing concensus in the keto groups I belong to outside of MFP is to knock off the snacking period. Given the changes to your classroom this year that might work out better anyway :)
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    String Cheese, almonds, walnuts, peanuts - individual 1oz packs (Sams Club), Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt ( one of the lower carb yogurts), cottage cheese, baby carrots aren't bad, beef salami slices, ham and cheese roll ups, sugar free gerkins-spears-bread and butter chips ( Valsic Brand). Atkins Milk Chocolate Delight Shakes (Walmart and Sams). Good Luck
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Dannon greek yogurt..PLAIN...6g of carbs. I add a squirt of stevia and sometimes this vanilla flavor 0Carbs (i get it at dollartree!! Great for coffee)