Supplements like creatine

Options
JayZ1488
JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
Looking to add a supplant or two to enhance muscle gain and toning.

I am not looking for anything illegal or harmful.

I take creatine but maybe I can add to it? I see scams all the time "get ripped now, buy this buy that" I work out 3-4xs a week and landscaping 5 dad a week is a work out itself lol

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There aren't any. Creatine mono is about the only one worth taking. And that's debatable as well.

Get enough protein, lift heavy. Calorie balance and training regimen are 99% of the equation.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    They are telling you on the other thread there is not anything..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37245474#Comment_37245474
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I for one perform better in the gym when taking creatine. It's the most researched supplement on the market. It's not magic, you still have to put in the effort.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    IMO, the only other proven sports supplements are beta alanine or baking soda.

Both do pretty much the same thing, ie they buffer the body during exercise-induced lactic acid production. So they're only helpful when "the burn" of lactic acid is your limiting factor, for example, during sets mid-range reps or short sprints. It may help you push a tiny bit harder/get a few more reps.

http://examine.com/supplements/beta-alanine/
    http://examine.com/supplements/Sodium+Bicarbonate/
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle or getting toned are purely based on calories. Be it a surplus or a deficit. Supplements usually only enhance your actual performance, but not by much. In the end it all comes down to nutrition
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Vitamin d and sodium.
    Seriously.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    I'm sure if steroids help people get big
    There are legal supplemts as well

Il just do my own homework
    Thanks everyone
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    I'm sure if steroids help people get big
    There are legal supplemts as well

Il just do my own homework
    Thanks everyone

Actually, there are no legal supplements that will (significantly) increase muscle mass or strength.
    Creatine seems to help some people out by providing a little boost (getting 1 to 2 more reps on a heavy set, thus increasing work thus increasing muscle mass), though other than that there is not really any supplement worth mentioning.

Beta Alanine might help when performing longer duration work (that is over 60 seconds of intensity), though most likely not usefull when doing strength training.

Cafeïne is helpfull for alertness and focus. When combined with L-tyrosine your focus might increase even beter.

Citrulline Malate / Agmatine / Arginine are vasodilators. They give you a good pump during your workout, providing the muscles with new nutritions while removing waste products from the blood.

Thats about it on (legal) research proven supplements...

For more information check examine.com
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Gaining muscle or getting toned are purely based on calories. Be it a surplus or a deficit. Supplements usually only enhance your actual performance, but not by much. In the end it all comes down to nutrition

Not true. Protein intake is very important. Creatine monohydrate also has solid research support behind it for those who don't get enough through diet alone (and that can be difficult to do). That said, there aren't any others that have this level of scientific support behind them. BCAAs is a good example of a supplement that people swear by but that has little to no evidence to support those claims.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    testosterone replacement therapy worked for UFC fighters till they banned it.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »

What's that? I'd be interested in trying a test booster.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Probabaly gonna get alot of flame for this but screw it, creatine is a joke, even in people that respond well to it the benefits are miniscule, there is the whole debate of it actually being absorbable by the body. Eating a steak or some form of red meat daily amd sleeping 8 hours a night will give you more muscle mass than 5g of creatine daily.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

test boosters over the counter are at 99% useless and a waste of money
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

It's a legitimate treatment for me with low testosterone. You need to see a doctor and get prescribed steroids in a therapeutic amount.
  • NA1979
    NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have learnt the hard way (financial) that literally no supplements actually work, I heard creatine does something but the benefits aint worth the bloating and the amount of water you need to drink. Protein, you don't need nearly as much as the manufacturer recommends, only take that if you can't get much from your diet, the rest,you may as well flush your money down the toilet. Saying that I found caffeine tablets to be very useful.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    I have learnt the hard way (financial) that literally no supplements actually work, I heard creatine does something but the benefits aint worth the bloating and the amount of water you need to drink. Protein, you don't need nearly as much as the manufacturer recommends, only take that if you can't get much from your diet, the rest,you may as well flush your money down the toilet. Saying that I found caffeine tablets to be very useful.
    abadvat wrote: »

test boosters over the counter are at 99% useless and a waste of money

Thank you for the help. I even saw legal steroid but I'm sure there a scam to

• tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    creatine & protein and a good weight lifting program.
  • kenestrick1
    kenestrick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do some research into the timing of your meals and macro intake. Read the boring articles on the chemistry of how amino acids and different carbs affect your hormones. Everyone is different so what works for us may not work for you.
    I personally have to use protein powders and carbohydrate type powders because I have a hard time eating enough food to support weightlifting plus my level of activity at work. I find creatine added to a protein shake BEFORE a workout and a good high protein meal plus carbs helps me tremendously with maintaining energy levels and reducing next day soreness.
  • kenestrick1
    kenestrick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe you're not eating ENOUGH? Physical work alone is going to require what an office worker would need if they're lifting. If you're looking to GAIN muscle you're going to have to eat more than your average lifter if you work a physical job too. As for toning, just keep your meals "clean" and that should happen automatically.