Options
    I have the Alta and I love it!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    @cushman5279

One more dumb question...
    Normally when we check our pulse it is on the underside of the wrist. The Charge HR must detect it from the top of the wrist, right? That's why I wonder about the accuracy because it doesn't sit on a nice big vein.

@Pam-1965 I actually wear my Charge HR with the monitor on the underside of my wrist. It's how it's most comfortable for me as that's how I always wore my watches too.

I don't find it all that large. My last watch was larger. I usually make the strap a bit looser when I go to bed as its more comfortable when I'm sleeping.
  • Salex579
    Salex579 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    @cushman5279

Normally when we check our pulse it is on the underside of the wrist. The Charge HR must detect it from the top of the wrist, right? That's why I wonder about the accuracy because it doesn't sit on a nice big vein.

@Pam-1965 I actually wear my Charge HR with the monitor on the underside of my wrist. It's how it's most comfortable for me as that's how I always wore my watches too.

I don't find it all that large. My last watch was larger. I usually make the strap a bit looser when I go to bed as its more comfortable when I'm sleeping.

Do you find that it's still pretty accurate when you flip the Fitbit over to the underside of your wrist? I hate how far the the charge hr sticks up on the top of my wrist. It just feels huge.
  • capaul42
    Options
    Salex579 wrote: »
    @cushman5279

Do you find that it's still pretty accurate when you flip the Fitbit over to the underside of your wrist? I hate how far the the charge hr sticks up on the top of my wrist. It just feels huge.

I've found it to be very accurate. I routinely check my HR manually (on neck) during my workouts as I have vaso-vagal syncope (along with low BP) and it can drop quite quickly in certain circumstances. I've found it to be off no more than 4 beats per minute (which my Dr says could just be that it's tracking my wrist and I'm tracking by neck). Now if they could make a fitbit that checks BP as well, I'd be happy :)
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @capaul42

I was thinking of doing that very thing! Wear it under my wrist. I have become curiouser and curiouser with my heart rate as I move into my newly fit persona. I feel my resting heart rate is pretty low (Didn't use to be), so I am wondering if that is because of my accomplishments. It is at 48 when I wake up. 54 when sitting.
  • capaul42
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I was also thinking of buying the fitbit charge HR, I was wondering how does it work with mfp??? Does it calculate all the calories I burn throughout the day and then loads the data onto mfp automatically?

Yes. You will see an adjustment under exercise that has your step count. But the calorie adjustment isnt based on the steps reported. It brings over your current total calorie burn then extrapolates what it will be by end of day then subtracts MFP'S number for your maintenance calories. This is the number it gives you for exercise
  • karinabree
    karinabree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my Alta because it is small so looks good at work. I don't mind that it doesn't have HR or steps, as really I just use it as an indicator and for motivation (contests!) have been wearing it daily for 4 months, lost 18lbs
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Personally I dislike the 24 hour wearable HR monitors, I think they are irrelevant and a marketers dream

I started with a flex and actually downgraded to a zip because it's a clip which I can wear in my bra, waistband or pocket and allows me to wear bracelets

I have a polar Ft 4 heart rate monitor with chest strap which I wear when working out ...eg when it is appropriate to monitor my HR for training purposes

I actually believe that the HR monitor wearables are less accurate than the base pedometers

I totally agree with this.

I had a Charge HR but because my dog runs with me & I swap her leash in my hands the step count was wildly inaccurate.

Then when comparing the hr from the Charge HR to my chest strap Polar H7 the heart rate was off, so I got a Zip. Steps seem accurate with the Zip so I'm sticking with that for total step counts while using my H7 for heart rates.
  • capaul42
    Options
    I was also thinking of buying the fitbit charge HR, I was wondering how does it work with mfp??? Does it calculate all the calories I burn throughout the day and then loads the data onto mfp automatically?

Yes. You will see an adjustment under exercise that has your step count. But the calorie adjustment isnt based on the steps reported. It brings over your current total calorie burn then extrapolates what it will be by end of day then subtracts MFP'S number for your maintenance calories. This is the number it gives you for exercise

So lets say it's legs day and I enter it on mfp under strength and exercise for 60 minutes and I also do Elliptical trainer for 15 minutes, the fitbit will calculate all that and then subtract or add the calories into mfp? I have to admit, i didn't understand much of what you said :(

You wouldn't enter your exercise in MFP. Fitbit will send over an adjustment based on your total calorie burn, including exercise . Yesterday fitbit sent over 2,381 for my total calories burned. MFP subtracted my maintenance calories that it has (1860) and added 521 calories to my daily 1610 calorie goal.

I had two workouts yesterday, Strong Curves and a short cardio session. Neither of these were logged in MFP as my fitbit already counted that in my daily burn (270 and 130 were the burns for my workouts).
  • capaul42
    Options

So lets say it's legs day and I enter it on mfp under strength and exercise for 60 minutes and I also do Elliptical trainer for 15 minutes, the fitbit will calculate all that and then subtract or add the calories into mfp? I have to admit, i didn't understand much of what you said :(

You wouldn't enter your exercise in MFP. Fitbit will send over an adjustment based on your total calorie burn, including exercise . Yesterday fitbit sent over 2,381 for my total calories burned. MFP subtracted my maintenance calories that it has (1860) and added 521 calories to my daily 1610 calorie goal.

I had two workouts yesterday, Strong Curves and a short cardio session. Neither of these were logged in MFP as my fitbit already counted that in my daily burn (270 and 130 were the burns for my workouts).

Does it also calculate the calories lost just by walking during the day?

Total calories burned is what Fitbit sends to MFP. For everything. From workouts to sitting on the couch, going for an evening walk or just making dinner. That's accounted for in what MFP deducts (the 1860 in my example) when the fitbit number is sent over. 1860 is what MFP says I burn every day in my daily activities (non-exercise related).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Does it also calculate the calories lost just by walking during the day?

Walking/steps is what fitbit is most accurate in calculating.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I will probably buy it. Thanks everyone for answering my questions....One more thing, does fitbit work with either Android (my phone) or Google Chromebox (My computer)?

Fitbit works with Android and should work with your computer. I have the Charge HR and sync it using my Android phone. This fitbit helped me lose 76 pounds.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have an Android phone and use chrome, and they sync fine. There is a list somewhere on fitbit that lists compatible devices. I've read some people have trouble with it syncing to the newer phones, like the Samsung edge 7 or whatever it's called. I have the S4
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    corsayre8 wrote: »
    I don't like my Alta!

It does not give me full time or caloric credit for most of my activities. For example, 1 hr of interval training or circuit training will read as a 20 minute or less "sport" and tell me I only burned less than 100 calories. Since when? The only time it works properly is if I'm doing continuous movement, like walking, running, or the elliptical. But anything stop and start, forget about it.

So if things like calorie burn, intensity level, and time matter, you might be better off with something with a HR monitor. I'm going to get a Blaze.

Have you tried logging your activity?

Wouldn't I get double credit for my activity and end up inflating my calorie count? I still get credit for steps taken.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I chose the Garmen Vivofit 3. It's upgraded and waterproof. It does not sync well with MFP on android, but I like it.